News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Nonsense, bumped heads, nothen never did make no sense here.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on February 11, 2012, 05:15:51 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with the forum today?  Half the time I can't connect to it.

I remember hearing about a study with rats where some rats got a pellet of food every time they pushed the lever.  They would push the lever a few times, get bored, and leave off.  Some rats never got a pellet of food when they pushed the lever.  Those rats would push the lever a few times, get bored, and stop.  The last group of rats got a pellet of food every once and a while, randomly, when they pushed the lever.  Those rats would pound away at the levers obsessively until they dropped from exhaustion.  I feel like that kind of rat.
The forum has been okay for me.

The experiment may have been done with rats but I think you are refering to Skinner's superstitious pigeons and it's called partial reinforcement.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

The forum has been a little choppy today...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

DeterminedJuliet

Received $1800 worth of software in the mail today. So glad it came intact.

Also, I miss everyone at HAF. Damn my busy life. Any entertaining trolls lately?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 11, 2012, 07:05:47 PM
Received $1800 worth of software in the mail today. So glad it came intact.

Also, I miss everyone at HAF. Damn my busy life. Any entertaining trolls lately?
We hav been relatively troll free of late.

What was the software?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DeterminedJuliet

Adobe's Technical Communication suite 3.5. It comes with Framemaker, Robohelp, Adobe Acrobat, Captivate and Photoshop.
The best part is that I didn't have to pay a cent for it out of pocket because it's covered by my school as a requirement for my program.  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 11, 2012, 07:11:20 PM
Adobe's Technical Communication suite 3.5. It comes with Framemaker, Robohelp, Adobe Acrobat, Captivate and Photoshop.
The best part is that I didn't have to pay a cent for it out of pocket because it's covered by my school as a requirement for my program.  ;D
Cool! How much of it can you use?

Guardian85

Got new sneakers today. Had my dad buy them in the states.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on February 11, 2012, 07:12:17 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 11, 2012, 07:11:20 PM
Cool! How much of it can you use?

Do you mean licensing-wise, or skill wise? Licensing-wise it's the whole kit and caboodle. Skill wise, I'm still learning. Haha. I'm doing a Framemaker course now. I'm pretty familiar with acrobat, and I've had some limited flirtations with photoshop. Robohelp and Capitvate are part of my program, but I also have a dandy membership with this website, so I know what I'll be doing in my spare time for the next, um, forever.

Life long learning, gotta love it, you do. 

Tank

It was the capability side of things, there's a lot of stuff to get one's head around there. What will you ultimatly use this for?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on February 11, 2012, 07:32:05 PM
It was the capability side of things, there's a lot of stuff to get one's head around there. What will you ultimatly use this for?

I'm doing a technical writing program, so, ultimately, I hope I can use it as a technical writer. I find document design really interesting; mixing the best of writing and design elements. As for what I'll actually end up using it for, it's hard to say. But I'm not one to turn down free(ish) software!

Sweetdeath

Dyed my hair "caramel latte."  Oh lala~
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Amicale on February 12, 2012, 04:42:55 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 12, 2012, 04:41:52 AM
Dyed my hair "caramel latte."  Oh lala~

I bet it's beautiful!  :)

Hehe, thanks. I'm still waiting for it to dry, but i'm sure it will turn out great. :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Dobermonster

Craving sour skittles . . . too late for skittles run? The debate continues . . .