Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 08, 2012, 11:43:50 AM
Today is Mom's birthday, so my brother and I are teaming up. He's making dinner and I'm making a chocolate cake. Best part? It's a surprise. I can't wait to see Mom's face when she sees what we made. ;D
Excellent party!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Working on the wording.

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 08, 2012, 02:38:58 PM
QuoteArmidale is located on the Northern Tablelands in the New England region about midway between Sydney and Brisbane at an altitude (980 m AHD)[3] ranging from 970 metres at the floor of the valley to 1,110 metres above sea level at the crests of the hills. To the east are heavily forested steep basalt gorges dropping down to the eastern coastal plain. Some parts of the highlands are composed of granite and decomposed granite soil, which is slightly deficient in nutrients. There are also basalt intrusions which are more fertile than the granite country. To the west are gently undulating pastures and bushland.

Ye so Armidale is a university town and my daughter is starting her third year.  We gave her our old car last year and the positive of that was we wouldn't have to do these trips again.  Didn't work out that way, two cars go one comes home after moving a couple of camel loads of stuff.  It seems entirely inefficient to drive seven hours to spend twenty minutes carrying stuff.  People with faces you love will use those faces to make you do silly things sometimes.

A tale of the trip, from the coast across the/a lesser great divide and back again.

It rained heaps over night, it has been raining a lot, rivers flooding in a minor to moderate way, in a major way in places not that far away.
Rain wasn't a problem on the way there.  Busy rivers, streams, gulleys even a gutter full enough to float a leaf can be a distraction to a person with a fascination for flow though.  

The road is a two lane thing, one each way.
Bugger all traffic, it's not a major highway.
You start by driving forty minutes west by familiar road, stop at Long Flat because there's a toilet there and the next one is in the wild, a place my loves have named Wolf Creek.  I point out a calf to my daughter, she falls in loves, calf slips under an electric fence while I'm not looking and my Beth regales me with a story of the calf's special sneaking under fence abilities.  My wife hears the river, or demands me to hear it, already the details become vague, we used to do them together from the Murrumbidgee to the Baron where crocs disturb your peace of mind.

Another fifteen minutes driving through the lower Hastings valley you start to climb, winding road 25km/15mph forest bends for about 45 minutes and you arer are in another place entirely.  These places aren't mine I haven't figured out a way to describe them.

The trip back was interesting, the sky was... you see a sky and it looks blue, it's not proper blue but it isn't rain grey.  Skirting storms, driving on roads left drenched and steaming by a storm just past.

You're a good dad, Pudding. 

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on February 07, 2012, 04:32:33 PM
Going to meet a new client today.  Nervous because they had a lot of problems and requested to be moved from their old account rep, and they are a huge client, and now they are my problem.  Hope they like me.  LOL

I don't see why they wouldn't.  So, how did it go?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on February 07, 2012, 05:54:33 PM
Quote from: Crow on February 07, 2012, 08:17:15 AM
Architecture by far is the most boring, tiresome job I can imagine doing. I'm helping out a my architect get some drawings ready and it is by far the most mind numbing experience I have had in a long time and the list of things to do never seems to stop rolling in.

Anything I can help with?  ;)

I'm a demon on AutoCAD don't you know...

Thanks for the offer but its all sorted now, but that's good to know I will certainly remember that.
Retired member.

Ali

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 08, 2012, 03:37:26 PM
Going to meet a new client today.  Nervous because they had a lot of problems and requested to be moved from their old account rep, and they are a huge client, and now they are my problem.  Hope they like me.  LOL

Really good, actually.  What can I say, I'm a charmer.  LOL

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on February 08, 2012, 06:25:53 PM

Yay, congrats, glad it went well.  :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 08, 2012, 11:43:50 AM
Today is Mom's birthday, so my brother and I are teaming up. He's making dinner and I'm making a chocolate cake. Best part? It's a surprise. I can't wait to see Mom's face when she sees what we made. ;D

Aww, that's great! I bet she'll love the surprise!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on February 08, 2012, 06:25:53 PM

More like genuinely nice, I'd say.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Guardian85

Just came off a three day nightshift, and am typing this in full on zombie mode.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on February 09, 2012, 05:29:55 PM
CERN.

What about CERN? Upping the hadron collider's energy, or something else?

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on February 09, 2012, 05:37:35 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on February 09, 2012, 05:29:55 PM
CERN.

What about CERN? Upping the hadron collider's energy, or something else?
I too would like to understand Asmo's cryptic comment.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Okay, I know I'm quiet in class, but this is ridiculous. I sit in the front row of desks in my maths class. My teacher stands right next to my desk when he lectures, which is for about half of the class. I also answered some of the questions that he asked. Five minutes until the bell rings, I'm working on my homework and he comes up to my desk and asks me if I was in class the whole time. Apparently, he counted me absent. I am now invisible. What worse, this isn't the first time it's happened to me. For some reason, I find it really funny.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.