News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Batman US cinema shooting: 12 dead in Colorado

Started by Tank, July 20, 2012, 02:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on July 22, 2012, 05:24:20 AM
Those people are pigs.

Far from it. They are no or more less human than you or me, however warped and twisted we may judge them to be.  The objectification of those of whom we disapprove is the source of endless human misery.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: En_Route on July 22, 2012, 12:43:43 PM
Those people are pigs.

Far from it. They are no or more less human than you or me, however warped and twisted we may judge them to be.  The objectification of those of whom we disapprove is the source of endless human misery.

As repulsive as Westboro is, they do serve a function: not in their message, but in allowing other people to see an example of how deluded human beings can get. Usually, you have to go to mental institutions or be subjected to crime or war to see this, but Westboro displays it non-violently right in the public square.  They are almost a museum of the macabre, and there's no entrance fee.

Non Quixote

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 22, 2012, 02:16:59 PM
As repulsive as Westboro is, they do serve a function: not in their message, but in allowing other people to see an example of how deluded human beings can get. Usually, you have to go to mental institutions or be subjected to crime or war to see this, but Westboro displays it non-violently right in the public square.  They are almost a museum of the macabre, and there's no entrance fee.
I agree.  While they may garner some small measure of support from other religious whackos, they actually serve a nobler cause in the wider sense (albeit unwillingly).  As you say they bring out onto the public stage with voluminous fanfare a glaring example of religious zealotry, hatred and intolerance.

To the Religious Wrong:  I'm glad they're not on my side.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Ali

Those people are pigs.

I don't literally think they are pigs or less than human.  Is there any expression of disapproval that I could use that wouldn't earn me a lecture, or should I just keep my disapproval to myself? 

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on July 22, 2012, 02:39:12 PM
Those people are pigs.

I don't literally think they are pigs or less than human.  Is there any expression of disapproval that I could use that wouldn't earn me a lecture, or should I just keep my disapproval to myself? 

I would just ignore me, though I probably won't go away.

Ali

ER - My feelings about all of this are extremely raw.  People that I know, that I've known since I was kid, got shot, and lost a loved one, right here in a theater that I have been to in the mall where I got my ears double pierced.  I'm all kinds of sad and mad and probably talking about how it's an interesting commentary on the human condition that we feel all out of sorts when 12 people die in a massacre and barely blink an eye at the innumerable people starving to death in Africa is probably a rational thing to do.  Talking about how we mustn't dehumanize those that we disagree with probably also has a place; perhaps if we didn't dehumanize each other, we'd be less likely to shoot each other.  But I'm not in a rational kind of mood.  I'm in a grieving and angry kind of mood.   

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on July 22, 2012, 02:55:22 PM
ER - My feelings about all of this are extremely raw.  People that I know, that I've known since I was kid, got shot, and lost a loved one, right here in a theater that I have been to in the mall where I got my ears double pierced.  I'm all kinds of sad and mad and probably talking about how it's an interesting commentary on the human condition that we feel all out of sorts when 12 people die in a massacre and barely blink an eye at the innumerable people starving to death in Africa is probably a rational thing to do.  Talking about how we mustn't dehumanize those that we disagree with probably also has a place; perhaps if we didn't dehumanize each other, we'd be less likely to shoot each other.  But I'm not in a rational kind of mood.  I'm in a grieving and angry kind of mood.   

Fair enough. I'll respect that.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: En_Route on July 22, 2012, 03:07:51 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 22, 2012, 02:55:22 PM

Fair enough. I'll respect that.

We've all been there.

Harmonie

It's sad that you can't even go to the movie theaters without having to fear some psychopath killing you now.

I don't live in Colorado, but when I first saw this news it worried me a bit because my cousin just moved over there a month or two. He said he moved to Denver, so I wasn't too worried, but later he posted on Facebook saying that if he had gone to that midnight premiere that would have been the theater he had gone to. o.o

Certainly doesn't hit anywhere near as close to home as it has to Ali here, but still pretty scary.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Radiant on July 22, 2012, 03:10:11 PM
It's sad that you can't even go to the movie theaters without having to fear some psychopath killing you now.

I don't live in Colorado, but when I first saw this news it worried me a bit because my cousin just moved over there a month or two. He said he moved to Denver, so I wasn't too worried, but later he posted on Facebook saying that if he had gone to that midnight premiere that would have been the theater he had gone to. o.o

Certainly doesn't hit anywhere near as close to home as it has to Ali here, but still pretty scary.

Statistically, you still aren't in danger in a theater.  12 people were killed out of over 300,000,000 in the usa.  The likelihood of you getting killed in a theater is still extremely low.  It's the same effect that a plane crash has - people get afraid of flying, but they are more likely to be killed in an auto accident. 

OldGit

That doesn't stop people being scared.  Worries are seldom rational.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: OldGit on July 22, 2012, 06:32:32 PM
That doesn't stop people being scared.  Worries are seldom rational.

Correct, but sometimes a dose of reason acts as a good analgesic or sedative. Sometimes.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Theta Sigma

This is a bit of an overreaction.  It's sad that people let fear rule their decisions this way.

MSNBC Article

Quote from: The linked articleA Chicago children's hospital has canceled an appearance by a Batman impersonator over concerns that it could upset kids and their parents in the wake of last week's mass shooting at an Aurora, Colo., premiere of the new Batman movie.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,
every star that ever was,
     where do you want to start?

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on July 22, 2012, 02:39:12 PM

I've had luck in the past with "Ass-hat". You may use that if you wish.

And for the record: James E. Holmes is a huge one.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-