News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Hebrew Atheist Billboard Finds a New Home

Started by Tank, March 09, 2012, 07:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

QuoteThis morning, the future of the Hebrew billboard reaching out to closeted atheists in the Orthodox Jewish community was uncertain, but it looks like American Atheists found a home for it...

...The atheists had to settle for placing the billboard above the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway near Meeker Avenue — about a mile and a half north of the Hasidic enclave in South Williamsburg...

Militant atheism at its most militant! Let's put up a sign!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Quote from: Tank on March 09, 2012, 07:54:20 AM

QuoteThis morning, the future of the Hebrew billboard reaching out to closeted atheists in the Orthodox Jewish community was uncertain, but it looks like American Atheists found a home for it...

...The atheists had to settle for placing the billboard above the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway near Meeker Avenue — about a mile and a half north of the Hasidic enclave in South Williamsburg...

*snerk*

We're such a threat, aren't we?  :D

Buddy

Quote from: Ali on March 09, 2012, 04:39:37 PM

*snerk*

We're such a threat, aren't we?  :D

I know! Soon we'll be getting commercials to spread our filthy nazi communist ways. ::)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

philosoraptor

This is pretty daring, considering freedom of speech is only for old white dudes and Christians.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

DeterminedJuliet

I just find it weird that they called it "inappropriate". Offensive? Maybe. Inappropriate? It's a billboard on the highway! It has words on it! How is that inappropriate?

People should learn the difference between "I don't like this" or "I find this offensive" and "this is actually inappropriate based on context".
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

OldGit

Well, the Jews are being specifically included in, here - but for some reason they don't like it.  ;D

Firebird

Funny enough, the billboard in Arabic that went up in Patterson, New Jersey got a few people grumbling, but no campaign to tear it down or move it.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on March 10, 2012, 06:05:22 PM
Funny enough, the billboard in Arabic that went up in Patterson, New Jersey got a few people grumbling, but no campaign to tear it down or move it.
Was it a similar atheist message?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Sweetdeath

Don't mess with the jews. They pull the holocaust card as much as the blacks do with the slave one.  ::)

I like the billboard. So many jewish friends are religious because they were raised they way, and even if they aren't hard core, they feel they'll 'betray' their family if they don't do religious things, like being kosher, etc.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

No, the most militant is confronting the religious in live media debates.

...That, or launching a swarm of Asmothralls at them.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

history_geek

Quote from: Asmodean on March 12, 2012, 07:31:12 AM
No, the most militant is confronting the religious in live media debates.

...That, or launching a swarm of Asmothralls at them.

I think the most violent act of militant atheism is the verbal abuse of fables and myths people want/think/are forced to believe.... although Asmothralls is always a good back-up plan.

;)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Too Few Lions

it's a nice poster, it would certainly make me smile every time I saw it if I lived in Brooklyn

philosoraptor

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 12, 2012, 05:06:30 AM
Don't mess with the jews. They pull the holocaust card as much as the blacks do with the slave one.  ::)

Except Holocaust survivors, in some cases, are still living in today's society.  And remarkably, having two Jewish best friends neither one of them has ever brought up the Holocaust in a 'woe is me' context.  As it is though, this is another racially insensitive non-sequitor from you.  Quelle Surprise! 

Exactly how many times does someone need to tread the line between stating an opinion and acting like a bigot before a mod steps in to say that this kind of hateful speech is not okay?
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse