News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

God vs ?? - A Debate.

Started by AnimatedDirt, January 19, 2012, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

I had initially posted this on that thread If when you die you meet God..., but then quickly removed it thinking this may be an interesting topic.  Not sure.

So who would you pick (obviously anyone in history is available to you as a choice) to have a debate with the Christian God?  Maybe you yourself think you have sufficient knowledge to take the debate?

Personally, since I don't know many of the staunch historical Atheists, I would have to pick either Hitchens or Dawkins.  I wonder if Dawkins would make time for God given he doesn't waste time on such things...?

Thoughts?

Genericguy

Debate with god... Hitchens. Conversation with god, I think I would go with Hypatia.

Edit: I'm going to change my debat answer to Osiris. That way we can solve the horus/jesus issue once and for all.

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Guardian85

If there is a god Hitchens has already ripped him several new ones.  ;)

Dawkins would work, too. Maybe a "good cop-bad cop" combo?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 19, 2012, 08:10:13 PM
If there is a god Hitchens has already ripped him several new ones.  ;)

Dawkins would work, too. Maybe a "good cop-bad cop" combo?

I would be sitting on the edge of my seat.

Asmodean

The Asmo. Would be... Unique.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on January 19, 2012, 08:34:25 PM

One would hope that God is not present in the form of fire so as to not dryout the grumpy lump...  :)

Stevil

It would be a monologue given that even if a god exists, it doesn't interact with people, it certainly doesn't speak to people and it most certainly isn't open to debate with mere humans.

You disagree or question it, you end up smited (according to my perception of the bible). Not sure about other gods, they might be much more accommodating than the one described in the OT.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on January 19, 2012, 08:39:11 PM
It would be a monologue given that even if a god exists, it doesn't interact with people, it certainly doesn't speak to people and it most certainly isn't open to debate with mere humans.

You disagree or question it, you end up smited (according to my perception of the bible). Not sure about other gods, they might be much more accommodating than the one described in the OT.

I disagree.  I think he'd be more than willing to allow a debate...if he existed.

Asmodean

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 19, 2012, 08:38:36 PM

One would hope that God is not present in the form of fire so as to not dryout the grumpy lump...  :)
Asmopottery, it is still deadly ferocious, yes.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on January 19, 2012, 08:44:17 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 19, 2012, 08:38:36 PM

Asmopottery, it is still deadly ferocious, yes.  :D

...and quite possibly aesthetically appealing too.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 19, 2012, 08:43:22 PM
Quote from: Stevil on January 19, 2012, 08:39:11 PM

I disagree.  I think he'd be more than willing to allow a debate...if he existed.
Well, that should be rock solid proof to you then that there is no god in existence.
Unless of course you rationalise that noone has attempted to engage your god in debate or that the endless silence offered by your god in response is the perfect response.

Ali

Depends on what the debate would be about.

If the debate is about the pros/cons of drug use, I nominate pytheas or Crow
Anything to do with horses or lizards or taxidermied animals - Budhorse
Books - BooksCatsEtc
Morality and Why We Don't Need It - Stevil
Pottery and Other Plans for World Domination - Asmo
Nat King Cole songs and/or Dancing Cats - Amicale
Hats - Pudding
Dogs and Assorted Swear Words - Tank
Can You Be a Ninja and a Sniper At the Same Time - Guardian
Looking Cool - Sweet D
Why Bad Puns Are the Best - Me

I'm sure there are tons of other subject matter experts on here.

Asmodean

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 19, 2012, 08:46:38 PM
...and quite possibly aesthetically appealing too.
Ooh! Quite irresistable when decorated with some bloodied thornbush patterns.  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on January 19, 2012, 08:47:46 PM
Well, that should be rock solid proof to you then that there is no god in existence.
No real sure what you're getting at.  Are you saying that me thinking the Christian God would be open to a debate is proof that this God doesn't exist?  First of all, the premise, which I obviously didn't make clear but alluded to by where I initially was going to post, is that the debate is at the fictional end of time.  Obviously this would be the time when ANYONE is available to debate.

Quote from: StevilUnless of course you rationalise that noone has attempted to engage your god in debate or that the endless silence offered by your god in response is the perfect response.

Rationalize...  I wont get into it here.