News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Alzheimer's Pill?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 21, 2011, 03:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Pharaoh Cat

Shared immediately on Facebook.  Exciting!
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

OldGit

Too late for me ... err, what did I come in here for?   Nggg .... swallows false teeth yet again.

Squid

Interesting.  I'll see if I can snag the journal article later this evening after work.

DeterminedJuliet

Alzheimer's runs in my family, so I have a very real concern about possibly getting it some day. One of my greatest fears is losing my mental facilities. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it would be amazing if this break through turns out to be as useful as it sounds like it could be. 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Davin

Isn't that the cause for the rise of the planet of the apes?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on December 21, 2011, 04:29:07 PM
Isn't that the cause for the rise of the planet of the apes?

And Deep Blue Sea but with sharks instead of apes (terrible movie, btw)

Seems like science can offer quite a scare. ::)

Like DeterminedJuliet, I also hope they figure this one out, because Alzheimer's runs in both sides of my family.  :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Alzheimer's Pill?

Ah yes, I'll take a box, thank you.

Sgtmackenzie

All Alzheimers is - is a degradation of memory.   Replace that memory (in a human) as if it was RAM (in a computer or microchip) and viola.   Magical pill.....

Squid

Here's the article for anyone interested in reading it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ku24cqima1scy4

Davin

Quote from: Squid on December 23, 2011, 04:28:44 AM
Here's the article for anyone interested in reading it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ku24cqima1scy4
Yes, thank you, I was too lazy to look myself.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

I'm sure I've read this thread before.  :-\
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pytheas

I wouldn't be suprised by susceptibility to a new range of infections as a side effect

Also not very convinced it would actually work in alzheimer's fibrillary tangles and plaques, the human conditions with PKR downregulation are huntingtons and parkinsons.

The world of the mouse may be another ballgame in this CNS respect. They are against great odds. (Not so, with immunology between mouse and man, and the PKR knock out  mice were in a sterile lab envoronment, not sniffing and licking the virally loaded streets of our communities

btw I helped care for my mum who melted away within 3 years in front of us.
I tried all the meds, curcumin, antioxidants, constant memory games and quizzes

help? did they fuck...
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE