News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

How long before religious war in the USA?

Started by Pharaoh Cat, December 15, 2011, 09:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

What could spark a religious war?
Going by a definition of natural human law, people resort to violence when certain rights are violated.

I think Christians could be enticed to war over abortion, euthanasia and death penalty issues.
Homosexuals and supporters could be enticed to war if homosexuality was ever made against the law again.

America could easily go into war if gun ownership was made against the law (however this may not be a religious war)

America could go into internal religious war if they continue to meddle in affairs of Muslim countries.

Possibly war could break out if a Muslim were voted into office.

Gawen

Quote from: OldGit

True, ordinary folks are not armed at the moment,
You may wish to revise that statement. Either that or I'm not ordinary.

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tank

Quote from: Gawen on December 16, 2011, 03:02:17 PM

I doubt you are ordiary!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

I have been thinking about this recently. I have no answer. And a lot will have to be satisfied before Heavenly armed....I mean, heavily armed conservative Christians, especially in Texas, take up arms to blow away their perceived enemy in God's name.

Personally, I don't think there will be an outright religious war in the U.S. and if it DID happen, it would be along the lines of a Religious Civil war. I see the world failing economically before there is some sort of religious war in the U.S.

Now, a religious war fought in the Middle East with the U.S. involved is an entirely different option.

Oh...wait....we're already there. Onward Christian Soldiers!!
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Ecurb Noselrub

In this world, being armed is the rational choice.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 16, 2011, 03:20:56 PM

In this world America, being armed is the rational choice.

Fortunatly there are non-violent parts of the world  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

OldGit

Quote from: Gawen
Quote from: OldGitTrue, ordinary folks are not armed at the moment,

I was talking specifically about the UK, where there are quite a lot of shotguns, very few rifles of which most are .22" RF single-shot target jobs, and no pistols at all.  Legally, that is.

Stevil

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 16, 2011, 03:20:56 PM

In this world, being armed is the rational choice.
So that must mean that most Kiwis are irrational?

Whitney

I don't see the need for weapons...I can call a special number and people trained to handle both weapons and bad guys can come take care of it ;)  My chances of survival are much better that way as it would allow me to continue hiding and not have to hope I'm a better and faster aim.

MinnesotaMike

The only way to look at the US as a single country is by its label. You have to understand that a country the size of 7,700,000 km2 with 50 major divisions and people from literally anywhere in the world does not allow for agreement on just about anything, let alone a unified mentality on armed conflict. If religious war does happen, it will be a small coup in the south seeking the destruction of atheist areas, which would only really be possible with an involuntary 'heathen relocation program.'

Will there be a confrontation? Of course. But armed warfare on a large scale? Slim chance.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Sgtmackenzie

I don't forsee a Religious War within the USA.     There are and always will be "fringe" or "extremist" elements of any religion or group that may cause problems or seek to destroy for their ideology. (ie, Oklahoma City, Westboro Baptist Church)   

However, I do see the more real possibility of a Religious war being visited UPON the United States.   

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: Sgtmackenzie on December 19, 2011, 06:42:42 PM
I don't forsee a Religious War within the USA. 

What if an actual Muslim (as opposed to a suspected one like Obama) were elected president?

Hmm.  No, I guess the more likely scenario would be assassination.

Still, we had a civil war in the 1800's.  Admittedly, the impetus there was largely economic, as slaves were first and foremost an economic commodity from the perspective of their owners.  Is there some way a religious issue could morph into an economic one?  Here in the USA, the thing we're willing to die for is money.  The Revolutionary War, for example, was fought over taxation.  We entered World War 2 to help ensure open shipping on the high seas for commerce.  Suppose the Supreme Court decided tax-free status for churches violated the first amendment.  Would that be economically significant enough to spark a civil war?
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Sgtmackenzie

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 20, 2011, 10:46:34 AM

What if an actual Muslim (as opposed to a suspected one like Obama) were elected president?

Still, we had a civil war in the 1800's.  Admittedly, the impetus there was largely economic, as slaves were first and foremost an economic commodity from the perspective of their owners.  Is there some way a religious issue could morph into an economic one?  Here in the USA, the thing we're willing to die for is money.  The Revolutionary War, for example, was fought over taxation.  We entered World War 2 to help ensure open shipping on the high seas for commerce.  Suppose the Supreme Court decided tax-free status for churches violated the first amendment.  Would that be economically significant enough to spark a civil war?

I think it could.   But then again, we are back to it being a war fought for economic reasons, not religious reasons.    Taxing churches isn't the same as banning them from existence.

Tank

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 20, 2011, 10:46:34 AM

Wouldn't it bea revolt rather than a civil war as it would be the people vs the government?

Sgtmackenzie

Quote from: Tank on December 20, 2011, 03:16:39 PM
Wouldn't it bea revolt rather than a civil war as it would be the people vs the government?

Brilliant question.   I don't forsee a religious war in the US, but I could very well see a revolution taking place.    Openly disagreeing with the government is a protected right - free speech - for that very reason.   The founding fathers saw how important an open and honest bitch-fest is to a healthy republic.   People took it for granted until it started to get infringed upon.    When a populace was able to openly disagree with the government, what has happened in the past?   Revolutionary War?   When the colonists finally gained the courage to stand up for what they believed in?    Revolutionary War.   

What would you do - if you were tasked with quelling the growing dissent in a population?    Limit free speech?   Control the media?    We see the wheels of propaganda machines working on all sides today.

What is happening in the "Arab Spring"?    Revolution.   

What could happen in the US within the next 10 years?   Revolution.