News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Character flaw

Started by Pharaoh Cat, December 22, 2011, 03:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gawen on December 29, 2011, 12:35:20 AM

From wiki:
"A character flaw is a limitation, imperfection, problem, phobia, or deficiency present in a character who may be otherwise very functional. The flaw can be a problem that directly affects the character's actions and abilities, such as a violent temper. Alternatively, it can be a simple foible or personality defect, which affects the character's motives and social interactions, but little else."

QuoteNot using critical thinking faculties might result more from ignorance or lack of education than character.  People of minimal education can have good character, unless we depart from the normal use of that term. 
It would seem the ignorance or minimal education would fall under one or more of the attributes above.

QuoteBut assuming, arguendo, that not using critical thinking skills is a character flaw, are you assuming that all religious faith results from the failure to think critically?  Just askin'.

Possibly. A persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary or no evidence at all or non-corroborated evidence seems to me to be a character flaw - if critical unbiased, unprejudiced thinking will assuage that belief. If not a character flaw, then some other flaw.

Gawen

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 29, 2011, 03:08:38 PM
Quote from: Gawen on December 29, 2011, 12:35:20 AM

A persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary or no evidence at all or non-corroborated evidence seems to me to be a character flaw - if critical unbiased, unprejudiced thinking will assuage that belief. If not a character flaw, then some other flaw.

Religious faith in general is not classified as psychotic under the standards set forth in the DSM IV, so I'm not seeing how you get from "religious faith" to "character flaw" under the above analysis.
I didn't say religious faith was a character flaw. I said "possibly."  But then...

QuoteAre you a psychologist or a psychiatrist?
Nope. Because I'm not either of those doesn't mean I can't talk about it.

QuoteThis analysis suffers from the same flaw as Egor's argument about consciousness/reality.  It attempts to establish a point by definition and assumption.  There is no basis currently to categorize all religious faith as psychotic.
Perhaps not all religious faith, but certain types of it seems to me to fit the definition of "character flaw".
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gawen on December 29, 2011, 06:43:17 PM
Perhaps not all religious faith, but certain types of it seems to me to fit the definition of "character flaw".

Well, I think we can agree on that.