News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What Atheists think about Homosexuality?

Started by OhCheese, August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

I've worked with a couple of gay people whom I never knew were gay until they brought their partners along to corporate functions. Some seem like hetro but then you get some that are flamboyant. I don't know why, but I certainly don't think we should be telling people how to dress, walk and talk.
If we all looked the same, it would be very boring.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Stevil on January 15, 2012, 01:35:46 AM
I've worked with a couple of gay people whom I never knew were gay until they brought their partners along to corporate functions. Some seem like hetro but then you get some that are flamboyant. I don't know why, but I certainly don't think we should be telling people how to dress, walk and talk.

That,,and it's really rude to try to label people without getting to know them.
I am me; and that's just a kinda girly sarcastic person who loves videogames, dc comics, manga, cosplaying, animals,and vietnamese food.  On a very broad perspective, my sexuality never comes into play. <3 :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on January 14, 2012, 11:44:15 PM
Well, that was interesting. Is Struggling Atheist still around, or has he been kicked off at this point?
SA is still a full member at this moment. If, when and how he responds to this thread will definitely have a bearing on that situation.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 14, 2012, 04:35:39 PM
Ugh, wow. Why would anyone give a shit about someone's sexual prefernce? Seriously. I cannot believe this is an issue for any human being.

I agree ;  I cant understand why ALL people cant keep their sexuality behind closed doors where it belongs instead of parading it around publicly and demanding entire Nations agree to what THEY deem reasonable to do .

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 14, 2012, 04:41:12 PM
I think of what moves those that disaprove.

Its all spelled out in post number 105.  Did you miss that one ?

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 04:50:21 PM
Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:33:08 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 04:29:37 PM
Struggling Atheist - As an atheist, can you please tell us why you object so strongly to homosexuality?  Thx.

I already did . Read Post 105 .  I replied in accordance to the OP asking me what i thought about it.

Can you please explain WHY it is a "perversion" and why you care what other people do anyway. ... From the perspective of an atheist, please.  Thx.

From the perspective of an Atheist,  not all Atheists embrace amorality and apathy.   Did you think these were two universal traits among all Atheists ?

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Recusant on January 14, 2012, 06:44:11 PM
Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:23:23 PMThe OP freely asked for peoples views and opinions on homosexuality ;  was I required to be tolerant of every view in this Forum,  even if i disagree with it ?
You are not required to be anything, Struggling Atheist,* and as far as I'm concerned your honesty in regard to this topic is a good thing. However, I think it would be rather naive to think that you could express your negative opinions about a group of people who have suffered oppressive discrimination and outright persecution for centuries, without getting feedback of equal honesty from those who strongly disagree with such an attitude.

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:23:23 PMI gave honest answers to the OP questions and without personal defamation toward the OP .    Further,  it is NOT a case of me being 'homophobic'  because 3 days ago at the Walmart checkout register , i was standing next to two obvious homosexual men  and I didnt feel an ounce of fear toward them,  didnt fear acquiring homosexuality from them, nor feared being in their presence.   Thank you.

Well, you might benefit from learning the proper definition of "homophobia" then.

QuoteFrom Anti-Defamation League:

Homophobia is the hatred or fear of homosexuals - that is, lesbians and gay men - sometimes leading to acts of violence and expressions of hostility. .......

Thank you for taking the time .  Based on your definition of Homophobia/Homophobe  above, I do not fit into that category then  because  I dont hate any person on Earth nor do i have just reason to  .  I do find great disdain toward actions of many people groups but that doesnt automatically default me to a person of hated or actionable hostility/revenge (as may be the case with some) .   The word 'phobia'  specifically means :  a fear of something...and for me personally,  I have no fear of a Homosexual nor contracting a possible disease from this people group.  

pho·bi·a
   [foh-bee-uh] Show IPA

noun
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

Origin:
1780–90;  extracted from nouns ending in -phobia

Synonyms
aversion, hatred

While my reply to the OP's direct question of 'What do "I" think of homosexuality'  may not be the norm  among fellow Heathens in such a Forum as this,   it is my personal view which I unashamedly submit and Im glad this Forum can be a venue to express a variety of views when specifically asked  without fear of being (future) repromanded for .  Thank you.  

EDIT: Sorted quotess - Tank

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 15, 2012, 03:11:12 PM
Ugh, wow. Why would anyone give a shit about someone's sexual prefernce? Seriously. I cannot believe this is an issue for any human being.

I agree ;  I cant understand why ALL people cant keep their sexuality behind closed doors where it belongs instead of parading it around publicly and demanding entire Nations agree to what THEY deem reasonable to do .
The only thing they are demanding is to be treated like equal human beings. To get married like a human being, to not have to worry about people causing villence agaibst them just because they love the same gender. And that is the ONLY difference between a heterosexual and homosexual, gender preference, but no big, fat ass republicans and bible thumpers only.focus on a single  small aspect of them.
So yes, they march for equal rights, the same way african americans and women did (and are still doing!!}
Because unless you're heterosexual, caucasian and MALE; this world is fucking shit.
Wow, you are homophobic, and I hope Whit and Tank see this.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 15, 2012, 03:16:37 PM
Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:33:08 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 04:29:37 PM
Struggling Atheist - As an atheist, can you please tell us why you object so strongly to homosexuality?  Thx.

I already did . Read Post 105 .  I replied in accordance to the OP asking me what i thought about it.

Can you please explain WHY it is a "perversion" and why you care what other people do anyway. ... From the perspective of an atheist, please.  Thx.

From the perspective of an Atheist,  not all Atheists embrace amorality and apathy.   Did you think these were two universal traits among all Atheists ?

Uh no, see, you still haven't explained why homosexuality is immoral. 

See, here's the deal.  I know why theists think that homosexuality is immoral - cause the bible says so.  Pretty cut and dried.

What I don't understand is why an atheist (who presumably doesn't feel particularly drawn to believe something just because the bible says so) thinks that homosexuality is immoral.  Stop referring us to read post 105, please.  We've all read it.  Please tell us why, specifically, homosexuality is immoral.  Thank you.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 15, 2012, 04:43:14 PM

The only thing they are demanding is to be treated like equal human beings. To get married like a human being, to not have to worry about people causing villence agaibst them just because they love the same gender. And that is the ONLY difference between a heterosexual and homosexual, gender preference, but no big, fat ass republicans and bible thumpers only.focus on a single  small aspect of them.
So yes, they march for equal rights, the same way african americans and women did (and are still doing!!}
Because unless you're heterosexual, caucasian and MALE; this world is fucking shit.
Wow, you are homophobic, and I hope Whit and Tank see this.

Have no fear SD ALL the staff are keeping a very close eye on the behaviour of SA.

Sweetdeath

I have no fear. You guys are more reliable than god-- oops xD

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on January 15, 2012, 01:35:46 AM

I think it's just that everyone is different - gay or straight.  I've known plenty of straight girls who are more "tomboyish" and plenty of straight guys that are more....eh..."metrosexual" (sorry Sweetdeath, I know you hate that term, but I can't think of an easier way to describe it.)  I think we just notice it more when we know that someone is gay because we're kind of looking for it because it conforms to stereotypes, you know?

My Aunt Shalaine is gay, and she was in a 20+ years long relationship with my Aunt Chris (unfortunately they broke up several years ago, I miss Aunt Chris!) and I think that I was lucky that everyone always just treated their relationship like it was normal and no big deal (because it was, but you know what I mean, some families go berserk over that sort of thing.)  Neither one of them has ever been particularly "butch" so I guess I kind of grew up with the perspective that gay people are just like everyone else.  The thing that blows my mind is that after seeing the totally normal relationship between my aunts, and loving and accepting my aunts as just part of the family my parents are STILL politically against gay marriage.  What the hell is that???

Asmodean

I cant understand why ALL people cant keep their sexuality behind closed doors where it belongs instead of parading it around publicly and demanding entire Nations agree to what THEY deem reasonable to do .
Why does it belong behind closed doors? What if I'm not in the slightest insecure about my sexuality, but rather proud of it as a part of who I am? Why should I then keep it behind closed doors? Just so some sexually repressed people can feel good about themselves?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 15, 2012, 03:16:37 PM
Some Atheists state they have subjective morality. But they tend to justify to themselves why something is immoral. If it has been justified via reason and thought then it really isn't a moral, but more of a personal value. The person isn't saying it is wrong because it is immoral, they are saying it is wrong because of xyz. This is amoralistic behavior not moralistic.
All people have personal values, this is a shortcut, fast dial list, to help them make decisions quickly. But another trait of being an Atheist is that we are usually open to re-evaluate our personal values against a specific situation or if new information presents itself or if we change e.g. mature with age and experience.