News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What Atheists think about Homosexuality?

Started by OhCheese, August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Stevil on January 14, 2012, 05:45:00 PM
How does, what other people do in the bedroom, impact you?

If it is about how homosexual's dress, walk and talk in public then do you think the government ought to put in place laws to support Struggling Atheist's etiquette of public dress, walking and talking?

Those that are caught infringing get sent to a 6 month finishing school boot camp to be taught the Struggling Atheist's standard of behavior in public.

LOL
But... But I don't want to be a sexually pent up christian who only does it missionary position!! :(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

I don't think all Christians are sexually pent up. The Duggars must do it like bunnies if their progeny are any indication.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Recusant

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:23:23 PMThe OP freely asked for peoples views and opinions on homosexuality ;  was I required to be tolerant of every view in this Forum,  even if i disagree with it ?
You are not required to be anything, Struggling Atheist,* and as far as I'm concerned your honesty in regard to this topic is a good thing. However, I think it would be rather naive to think that you could express your negative opinions about a group of people who have suffered oppressive discrimination and outright persecution for centuries, without getting feedback of equal honesty from those who strongly disagree with such an attitude.

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:23:23 PMI gave honest answers to the OP questions and without personal defamation toward the OP .    Further,  it is NOT a case of me being 'homophobic'  because 3 days ago at the Walmart checkout register , i was standing next to two obvious homosexual men  and I didnt feel an ounce of fear toward them,  didnt fear acquiring homosexuality from them, nor feared being in their presence.   Thank you.

Well, you might benefit from learning the proper definition of "homophobia" then.

QuoteFrom Anti-Defamation League:

Homophobia is the hatred or fear of homosexuals - that is, lesbians and gay men - sometimes leading to acts of violence and expressions of hostility. Homophobia is not confined to any one segment of society, and can be found in people from all walks of life. Organized hate groups have viciously attacked homosexuals and have used especially violent language in attempting to persecute and intimidate them.

Now, I don't know that you actually hate or fear gay people, but your post used language that is commonly used by homophobes. Those who read that post might be excused for drawing their own conclusions.

* You can say whatever you like, as long as you observe the Forum Rules; see Whitney's post below.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on January 14, 2012, 06:31:18 PM
I'm fairly sure Minneapolis was named the gayest U.S. city in 2011 . . .

Yes it was, and I understand San Francisco is very put out.

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on January 14, 2012, 06:31:18 PMhttp://www.citypages.com/2011-12-28/news/gay-community-apologizes-to-amy-koch/

;D

Now that's one of the funniest things I've read since Jon Carroll's Unitarian Jihad

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 14, 2012, 04:58:42 PM
Not all homosexuals have anal sex. That is a gross misconception. Although no one wants to bring up the straight males that love to fuck their girlfriends in the ass.  or male drag queens whom over half of are heterosexual, even married to great women.

Not to mention the straight men who like getting anal sex from a woman with a handy strap-on.

(Edited to fix quotes. -- Recusant)
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Whitney

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:33:08 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 04:29:37 PM
Struggling Atheist - As an atheist, can you please tell us why you object so strongly to homosexuality?  Thx.

I already did . Read Post 105 .  I replied in accordance to the OP asking me what i thought about it.

Your post in 105 had absolutely no information on WHY you had those views; it's was just a irrational rant that made lots of baseless claims and honestly crossed the line under our rules here (see the part of the rules about no racism; it covers hate speech).  The views you provided are only common to people of a southern christian upbringing...hence the question of how an atheist could hold such views.  If you are an atheist and have arrived at those views through a process of logical reasoning then provide the logic (without being an ass about it...it's possible to discuss why you don't approve of homosexuality without using derogatory language).

DeterminedJuliet

Speaking of "cramming agendas down peoples' throats" I came across this little gem in my Facebook feed:
California teen calls for girl guide cookie boycott because the organization allowed a 7 year old trans-gendered girl to join a troop.

Gay folk aren't the only ones who want to make individual sexual/gender identity a public issue.

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Whitney on January 14, 2012, 08:09:17 PM
Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:33:08 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 04:29:37 PM
Struggling Atheist - As an atheist, can you please tell us why you object so strongly to homosexuality?  Thx.

I already did . Read Post 105 .  I replied in accordance to the OP asking me what i thought about it.

Your post in 105 had absolutely no information on WHY you had those views

I'll explain my reasoning for not objecting to homosexuality, and  I'll admit right off the bat that I'm bisexual with a preference for other women, in case anyone wants to factor that in as a bias.  Even before I was aware of my sexual leanings however (and I was a very late bloomer) I had no objection to homosexuality and couldn't understand the fuss so many others made about it (this was back in the 60s and 70s, when there was even more fuss than now).

To me, it seemed perfectly natural in the sense that it occured in nature, among animals other than humans.  Even back then we had examples of that and there's far more evidence today.  It's also interesting to me that homosexual behavior seems to increase with the intelligence of the species.  I don't know if anyone has found homosexual behavior among insects and reptiles, but it can be found nearly everywhere among mammals and birds, and is particularly commonplace among dolphins, apes and elephants.  Just going by that alone it seems perfectly natural that humans should be among the gayest of the gay.

Which brings me to its normality, which I see as different from its naturalness.  To me, natural is a biological designation, and normal is a cultural one.  Some "antis" used to mix the two issues by claiming that homosexuality only happened among domesticated animals, and those in zoos, as if that were proof of abnormality tho it seemed to me this only strengthened the normality of human homosexuality, since what are humans but domesticated apes?  In any case, the abundance of homosexual behavior found in nature among wild animals has put that argument to rest.  

Anyway, while I'm willing to concede that homosexuality is not the norm in American cluture at this time, that doesn't mean that it's abnormal everywhere or at all times or that it's good or right to class it as abnormal.  Or that it's good or right to attempt to force people to conceal it.  If it were honestly endangering the public health or causing the destruction of society with increased violence or indifference to peoples welfare (that could be traced directly and conclusively to homosexuality) that'd be different.  I think there are enough examples now of societies where homosexuals are treated as full citizens without it causing a massive collapse of the public health, or social upheaval, to put that aside.  

Unless the social upheaval being feared is the lack of the ability to discriminate against and persecute homosexuals -- I don't know what to say to that.  I never considered bigotry a cherished right to be upheld at all costs.  And wanting to step on other peoples lives because one doesn't like what they do naked as consensual adults is bigotry, no matter how much one dislikes the idea of being a bigot.  
Sandy

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on January 14, 2012, 10:19:42 PM
  Well said, BooksCatsEtc.

Oh, thank goodness!  I was afraid I'd screwed up the quotes again.  Thank you, Recusant.
Sandy

Sweetdeath

I quite enjoyed that read, bookscats. ^__^
My gf is bisexual as well with a preference for women. She once told me "if everyone just accepted they were bisexual in SOME way, the world would be  happier place."

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Traveler

BookCatsEtc, I wish I had an applaud button on here. +1 for a well thought out response.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Ali

Firebird

Well, that was interesting. Is Struggling Atheist still around, or has he been kicked off at this point? I'm curious if he'll even try responding to these questions, but perhaps we're better off if he's not, as I can't imagine it will be anything more than the ranting that he's already posted here.
Either way, while I assumed most people on this forum were probably socially liberal, it is refreshing to see how you all responded to this. I feel like a lot of the people who are that homophobic never knowingly met a gay person (knowingly because everyone has whether they realize it or not). While I was always supportive of gay rights, I became especially supportive when some people close to me came out.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Firebird on January 14, 2012, 11:44:15 PM
Well, that was interesting. Is Struggling Atheist still around, or has he been kicked off at this point? I'm curious if he'll even try responding to these questions, but perhaps we're better off if he's not, as I can't imagine it will be anything more than the ranting that he's already posted here.
Either way, while I assumed most people on this forum were probably socially liberal, it is refreshing to see how you all responded to this. I feel like a lot of the people who are that homophobic never knowingly met a gay person (knowingly because everyone has whether they realize it or not). While I was always supportive of gay rights, I became especially supportive when some people close to me came out.

I say this to people a lot. There are gay people everywhere. I guess most ignorant homophobes think all gays ae flaming fairies'

When I had someone tell "you dont seem gay" I was pretty offended. I was like "well, I left my axe , plaid shirt and chord pants at home" e_e.
So many idiotic stereo types for gay people. People are people. Tom boy girls can be heterosexual too.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 14, 2012, 10:39:25 PM
I quite enjoyed that read, bookscats. ^__^
Quote from: Traveler on January 14, 2012, 11:13:13 PM
BookCatsEtc, I wish I had an applaud button on here. +1 for a well thought out response.
Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 11:21:38 PM
BookCats, LIKE!!!

I wish I had a blushing smiley.  Thank you all -- just a subject I have a bit of familiarity with.

Quote from: Firebird on January 14, 2012, 11:44:15 PM
Well, that was interesting. Is Struggling Atheist still around, or has he been kicked off at this point? I'm curious if he'll even try responding to these questions

If he is, in fact, an atheist I'd be very curious to hear his reasons for objecting to homosexuality to the point of insisting that we keep ourselves closeted.  It is very unusual for atheists to be homophobic; I remember reading an article where the author mentioned that his atheist father hated homosexuals and homosexuality, but he didn't say why either.

Sandy