News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Why not start now? It'd have to be fairly simple but I'm told that immersion is the best way to learn. Just don't expect my Portuguese to ever be as good as your English. Hell, I think your English is better than my English and I've been speaking it all my life...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

I seem to have developed a twitch in my left eye. Most likely stress related, but still annoying
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on May 06, 2019, 03:19:45 PM
Try some yoga. Seriously.

I do yoga about 2x a week now. I've been really lax about going to the gym lately so I think that has a lot to do with my stress levels.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

Whats great about yoga is that you can do it at home. I try to hit the flexibility points I'm looking for twice a day. Once when I wake up and right after I get home at night. I sleep better and it makes facing the day a little easier. The breathing really helps too.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 06, 2019, 01:37:51 PM
Why not start now? It'd have to be fairly simple but I'm told that immersion is the best way to learn. Just don't expect my Portuguese to ever be as good as your English. Hell, I think your English is better than my English and I've been speaking it all my life...

I agree immersion helps a lot. It's one of the reasons why I keep coming back to HAF. You guys are really tolerant of my mistakes. :smilenod:

:lol: I highly doubt it, JJ!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

JJ is right, your English is really good. If you hadn't told us where you are I would have assumed you're a native English speaker

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Buddy on May 06, 2019, 03:17:19 PM
I seem to have developed a twitch in my left eye. Most likely stress related, but still annoying

I had the very same problem a couple of months ago.  :twitch: Whenever I had to talk to people they would be very distracted and wouldn't take me seriously.  ::) After about a week of having an over-expressive eye the twitch went away on its own. Thank god. I was seriously considering getting a pirate patch.

Ok, maybe people didn't and don't take me seriously for other reasons.  :P :nanana:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Buddy on May 06, 2019, 05:33:59 PM
JJ is right, your English is really good. If you hadn't told us where you are I would have assumed you're a native English speaker

Thanks, Buddy! :grin:

Icarus

I am constantly amazed at the skill with which non English speakers speak English.  Silver is just one of my admired bilingual or multi lingual persons.  We have Tom, Asmo, G85,  and several others who are fluent English speakers. I cannot be sure about our Mags but her native country is not an English speaking one. She is damn good at gringo speak.  All except the Brits who do have some peculiar ways with their language.  Dammit they think that a truck is a lorry, a toilet is a loo, a baby buggy is a pram,  and a whole other bunch of things that they have deliberatly mislabeled.......  ::).

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 06, 2019, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on May 06, 2019, 01:37:51 PM

I agree immersion helps a lot. It's one of the reasons why I keep coming back to HAF. You guys are really tolerant of my mistakes. :smilenod:

:lol: I highly doubt it, JJ!

Aside from sausage stuffing shenanigans I can't recall a single error in either your grammar or vocabulary. Even that was just a turn of phrase that went awry.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on May 07, 2019, 01:26:37 AM
I  constantly amazed at the skill with which non English speakers speak English.  Silver is just one of my admired bilingual or multi lingual persons.  We have Tom, Asmo, G85,  and several others who are fluent English speakers. I cannot be sure about our Mags but her native country is not an English speaking one. She is damn good at gringo speak. 
I will take that as a compliment, thank you.  :deadpan:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

All except the Brits who do have some peculiar ways with their language.  Dammit they think that a truck is a lorry, a toilet is a loo, a baby buggy is a pram,  and a whole other bunch of things that they have deliberatly mislabeled.......  ::).
And for some strange reason, things are, "bloody" bloody this, bloody that.  :worried:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on May 07, 2019, 05:34:38 AM
All except the Brits who do have some peculiar ways with their language.  Dammit they think that a truck is a lorry, a toilet is a loo, a baby buggy is a pram,  and a whole other bunch of things that they have deliberatly mislabeled.......  ::).
And for some strange reason, things are, "bloody" bloody this, bloody that.  :worried:

Dang, those Brits do talk funny.
Y'all shouldn't  mention it though or they'll be get'n all uppity I reckon.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 07, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Yes. :smilenod: What is with all the blood I wonder?  :notsure:

I have a theory:

a) Brits apparently like eating weird blood sausages called Black Pudding.
b) In movies, villains very often speak with a British accent.
c) Vampires are generally villains.
d) Vampires feed on blood.

Therefore:

Brits are vampires...? :notsure:

The premises leading up to the conclusion may be a little faulty but I believe the conclusion is solid. :smilenod: