News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: Know any good quotes?

Started by ForTheLoveOfAll, February 16, 2011, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

QuoteAnd if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence.
  -Bertrand Russel-

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on February 11, 2012, 06:47:00 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 11, 2012, 06:29:55 PM
Here's a fun fact: The word testicles comes from Latin testiculi meaning "little witnesses",  and to swear by one's testicles was an ancient form of oath. Hence the word "testify".
Would that make the Old and New Testament the Old and New Bollocks?

history_geek

Went on a random quote hunting after watching some YouTube vids and stumbled on these:

There is a set of religious, or rather moral, writings which teach that virtue is the certain road to happiness, and vice to misery in this world. A very wholesome and comfortable doctrine, and to which we have but one objection, namely, that it is not true.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/francois_fenelon.html#T64MpKxSrPFPxJIW.99

Nothing is more despicable than a professional talker who uses his words as a quack uses his remedies.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/francois_fenelon.html#T64MpKxSrPFPxJIW.99
(Am I the only one to think about WLC and any and all tv-evangelists?)

All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers.

François de Salignac de la Mothe-Fénelon, more commonly known as François Fénelon (6 August 1651 – 7 January 1715), was a French Roman Catholic archbishop, theologian, poet and writer

On the note of that last one:

It'll be a great day when education gets all the money it wants and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy bombers.  ~Author unknown, quoted in You Said a Mouthful edited by Ronald D. Fuchs

I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask, "Mother, what was war?"  ~Eve Merriam

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.  ~David Friedman

"There are no atheists in foxholes" isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes.  ~James Morrow

Everyone's a pacifist between wars.  It's like being a vegetarian between meals.  ~Colman McCarthy

Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War.  He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind.  He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth.  ~Mark Twain

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.  This world in arms is not spending money alone.  It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.  This is not a way of life at all in any true sense.  Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.  ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech, American Society of Newspaper Editors, 16 April 1953

http://www.quotegarden.com/war.html
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Sandra Craft

Quote from: history_geek on July 09, 2012, 02:14:53 PM
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.  This world in arms is not spending money alone.  It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.  This is not a way of life at all in any true sense.  Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.  ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech, American Society of Newspaper Editors, 16 April 1953

Ah, for the days when Republicans made sense when they talked.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

"Things are more like they are now than they have ever been."

Gerald Ford

Guardian85

Quote from: OldGit on July 09, 2012, 05:23:27 PM
"Things are more like they are now than they have ever been."

Gerald Ford

That's a scentence worthy of George W.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

The skilful employer of men will employ the wise man, the brave man, the covetous man, and the stupid man.
Sun Tzu

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
Voltaire

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
Voltaire

God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
Voltaire

He who has not the spirit of this age, has all the misery of it.
Voltaire

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
Voltaire

Is there anyone so wise as to learn by the experience of others?
Voltaire

Men hate the individual whom they call avaricious only because nothing can be gained from him.
Voltaire

Nature has always had more force than education.
Voltaire

I'm a bit of a Voltaire fan...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

If I were to construct a God I would furnish Him with some way and qualities and characteristics which the Present lacks. He would not stoop to ask for any man's compliments, praises, flatteries; and He would be far above exacting them. I would have Him as self-respecting as the better sort of man in these regards.
He would not be a merchant, a trader. He would not buy these things. He would not sell, or offer to sell, temporary benefits of the joys of eternity for the product called worship. I would have Him as dignified as the better sort of man in this regard.
He would value no love but the love born of kindnesses conferred; not that born of benevolences contracted for. Repentance in a man's heart for a wrong done would cancel and annul that sin; and no verbal prayers for forgiveness be required or desired or expected of that man.
In His Bible there would be no Unforgiveable Sin. He would recognize in Himself the Author and Inventor of Sin and Author and Inventor of the Vehicle and Appliances for its commission; and would place the whole responsibility where it would of right belong: upon Himself, the only Sinner.
He would not be a jealous God--a trait so small that even men despise it in each other.
He would not boast.
He would keep private Hs admirations of Himself; He would regard self-praise as unbecoming the dignity of his position.
He would not have the spirit of vengeance in His heart. Then it would not issue from His lips.
There would not be any hell--except the one we live in from the cradle to the grave.
There would not be any heaven--the kind described in the world's Bibles.
He would spend some of His eternities in trying to forgive Himself for making man unhappy when he could have made him happy with the same effort and he would spend the rest of them in studying astronomy.
- Mark Twain

hismikeness

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 04, 2011, 03:17:50 PM
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - Some bloke who gave theists a get out.

Also, the quote is often used as a credible retort, well actually I disagree with the quote and do not respect it's ultimate authority. So eff off, whoever said it.

I always thought it was Carl Sagan who said this...
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

The Magic Pudding

Who's next? Oh yes.
Hello Mr Jorgenson, can you hold? I have to eat a biscuit.

Doctor Who.

OldGit

Que sciagure d'essere senza coglione!  Voltaire

I hate women because they always know where things are.  Voltaire

Ali

^^^LOL!  That's right, Voltaire.  Tremble before our ultimate knowledge of where the scotch tape and the extra mail key is stored.... :D

Dave

Bump. "Favourite" is too specific for those quotes you will soon forget.

Was looking for a quotation about time changing things, did not found what I wanted but found these:

Quote"Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."
― Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

Quote"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."
― Leo Tolstoy

Quote"Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody."
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

[That last was a philosophy one had to develop in the armed forces, bit like "The king is dead, long live the king" - "My old friend has gone, welcome my new friend."]

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/change
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

QuoteOh yeah? Well fuck you!
-Unkown

QuoteYou sit there and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16 Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
-"Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Anything The Rock Says. For instance...
QuoteTeam Bring It is a way of life. With Team Bring It, you knock down doors, you kick down walls! And anyone who tells you, you can't, you take your fears, your insecurities, your worries, you roll em all up into a ball, you turn them sumbitches sideways, and stick em straight up their candy ass!
- The Rock

And Again
QuoteRock: Is that what you think?
Other: Well I-
Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!

QuoteI believe everyone has their own opinion and ways to deal with things.
-anonymous
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

But at fifty you get the face you deserve.
Coco Chanel
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames