News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What you believe in

Started by Byronazriel, September 03, 2010, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byronazriel

I know a lot of you don't believe in gods, but what do you believe in? the stranger the better!

Some creatures that I believe in are: stick indians, wendigo, sasquatch (Big foot,) ghosts, aliens, (Note I do not believe that they've visited us, just that in all probability other beings exist SOMEWHERE.) kappa, mothmen, skinwalkers (Shapeshifters), molemen, leprechauns, demons, spirits, spirit beasts, mechanicals, elemental spirits, and brownies. Maybe vampires, I knew this guy in college who claimed to be a vampire... He drank blood and everything, though in hindsight, he may have just been a weirdo.   :raised:

I also believe in luck, and universal balance (not quite karma, but close.) That it's a bad idea to whistle at the sea, in the dark, in a forest, or at the aurora borealis... not sure about australis though.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Byronazriel"I know a lot of you don't believe in gods, but what do you believe in? the stranger the better!

Some creatures that I believe in are: stick indians, wendigo, sasquatch (Big foot,) ghosts, aliens, (Note I do not believe that they've visited us, just that in all probability other beings exist SOMEWHERE.) kappa, mothmen, skinwalkers (Shapeshifters), molemen, leprechauns, demons, spirits, spirit beasts, mechanicals, elemental spirits, and brownies. Maybe vampires, I knew this guy in college who claimed to be a vampire... He drank blood and everything, though in hindsight, he may have just been a weirdo.   :raised:

I also believe in luck, and universal balance (not quite karma, but close.) That it's a bad idea to whistle at the sea, in the dark, in a forest, or at the aurora borealis... not sure about australis though.

Why don't you believe in god?
Call me J

Sapere aude

DaveD

DaveD

Byronazriel

Quote from: "i_am_i"Why don't you believe in god?

I believe in lots of gods.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Byronazriel

Quote from: "Tank"Death and taxes.

I don't pay taxes, I'm exempt.

I'll probably die at somepoint, but I like to think I'll become immortal before then... However unlikely that is.

Tank

Actually I try not to 'believe' in anything when taking the word in it's faith based form. If I think something is probable then I tend to have some evidence that the 'something' is possible. You mention aliens. I have taken quite some time thinking about this and my current opinion is that alien life is a virtual certainty at the microbial level and lots of it. However technologically capable aliens are probably incredibly rare and the chance of us discovering one are so close to zero that it would make no difference. I'd happily bet £1,000 at pretty much any odds that we won't have positive proof of a technologically capable alien race being discovered in the next ten years.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: "Byronazriel"
Quote from: "Tank"Death and taxes.

I don't pay taxes, I'm exempt.

I'll probably die at somepoint, but I like to think I'll become immortal before then... However unlikely that is.

What year/month were you born?

Byronazriel

Byronazriel

Quote from: "Tank"Actually I try not to 'believe' in anything when taking the word in it's faith based form. If I think something is probable then I tend to have some evidence that the 'something' is possible. You mention aliens. I have taken quite some time thinking about this and my current opinion is that alien life is a virtual certainty at the microbial level and lots of it. However technologically capable aliens are probably incredibly rare and the chance of us discovering one are so close to zero that it would make no difference. I'd happily bet £1,000 at pretty much any odds that we won't have positive proof of a technologically capable alien race being discovered in the next ten years.

This is pretty much my view of aliens, however I firmly believe that there's advanced life out there.

It there's any none-zero chance of intelligent life existing at any given point in space then it DOES!.. Provided that the universe is indeed infinite, which i like to think it is.

Tank

Quote from: "Byronazriel"
Quote from: "Tank"Actually I try not to 'believe' in anything when taking the word in it's faith based form. If I think something is probable then I tend to have some evidence that the 'something' is possible. You mention aliens. I have taken quite some time thinking about this and my current opinion is that alien life is a virtual certainty at the microbial level and lots of it. However technologically capable aliens are probably incredibly rare and the chance of us discovering one are so close to zero that it would make no difference. I'd happily bet £1,000 at pretty much any odds that we won't have positive proof of a technologically capable alien race being discovered in the next ten years.

This is pretty much my view of aliens, however I firmly believe that there's advanced life out there.

It there's any none-zero chance of intelligent life existing at any given point in space then it DOES!.. Provided that the universe is indeed infinite, which i like to think it is.
I would be amazed if we were the only technologically capable creature in the universe or for that matter in our galaxy. What I said was that the probability of discovering another one was virtually non-existent.

Byronazriel

If there's two technologically advanced civilizations in our galaxy then we will eventually come across each other.

The milky way is 100,000 light years in diametre, thus radiowaves will go from one side to the other in 100,000 years... So we may have to wait a while, but then again the aliens could be closer. So far they've travelled 104 light years!

We could pick up transmissions from them before then however, which is what SETI is trying to do.

Tank

Quote from: "Byronazriel"If there's two technologically advanced civilizations in our galaxy then we will eventually come across each other.

The milky way is 100,000 light years in diametre, thus radiowaves will go from one side to the other in 100,000 years... So we may have to wait a while, but then again the aliens could be closer. So far they've travelled 104 light years!

We could pick up transmissions from them before then however, which is what SETI is trying to do.

No we may not. The key factor is the life span of technological civilisations. Say it is 10,000 years. Neither the other civilisation nor ourselves will ever be aware of the others existance. In addition you have to consider the signal to noise ratio of any transmissions from the other civilisation vs that of the star it orbits.

I am well aware of SETI and the Drake Equation. The key issue with the Drake equation is it fails to factor in the distances between the civilisations it posits.

Byronazriel

...You're such a  party pooper.  lol

There's still the chance of one of the inteligent civilizations developing FTL travel!