News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What you believe in

Started by Byronazriel, September 03, 2010, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byronazriel

Quote from: "Martin TK"
Quote from: "Byronazriel"God, but also not God.

A being, or at least a thingie that makes stuff happen. Forces! The gas that makes science work.

So you mean your god is basically science and reason.?  Or is it???

I was wondering how much reading you have done on the subject of god and atheism?  Read any Dawkins or Hawking or Hitchens?  Of course there are a lot of older atheists that are good reading, too.  I can give you ideas on others to read.

I wouldn't say that exactly... More sort of, have you heard of SkyNet? It's like that but with forces instead of robots... And hopefully less evil.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Byronazriel

Quote from: "Martin TK"I was wondering how much reading you have done on the subject of god and atheism?  Read any Dawkins or Hawking or Hitchens?  Of course there are a lot of older atheists that are good reading, too.  I can give you ideas on others to read.

I've read Hawking, and I did a highschool report on a Dawkins book... It was something about phenotypes, I believe.

Not Hitchens though, had to look him up.

I've read the bible, mostly to figure what all the fuss was about. You see I was raised in a mostly secular household, but my granfather is A... one of the Christian denominations, it starter with P. Penatacostal, or Puritan maybe?

My grandmother was a Makah medicine woman, and told me a lot of stories that were passed down from my ancestors. That more than anyhting got me interested in spirituality.

I've done some reasearch on athiesm, not a whole lot. Just enough to get a feel for their beliefs, and I've frequented religous debate forums, which tend to have a lot of athiests for some reason...

I've read pretty much every Scott Cunningham book I could get my hands on, and I'm very familiar with the Norse, Geek, and Celtic pantheons and stories.

I'm also know a bit, though not very much about Shinto, and Bhuddist beliefs.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

KebertX

First, let me say that the OP should definitely stick around! I love Pagans! I love Paganism!

Second, I'm afraid it's not logical to believe something is real just because there's an historical account of it. Normally I would give an example, such as bigfoot, or giants, or unicorns to illustrate this. Unfortunately, you can accept things like tis as well. I see what you're saying though: It's a big universe. Everything must exist somewhere within it's dimensions.

If you tell me you believe in The Flying Spaghetti Monster, then you and I will instantaneously become friends!
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Byronazriel

Quote from: "KebertX"First, let me say that the OP should definitely stick around! I love Pagans! I love Paganism!

Second, I'm afraid it's not logical to believe something is real just because there's an historical account of it. Normally I would give an example, such as bigfoot, or giants, or unicorns to illustrate this. Unfortunately, you can accept things like tis as well. I see what you're saying though: It's a big universe. Everything must exist somewhere within it's dimensions.

If you tell me you believe in The Flying Spaghetti Monster, then you and I will instantaneously become friends!

None of the creatures you named are very fun, or counter intuitive. It's entire possible for large ape-like creatures to inhabit the forests of america, or giant humanoids, or horned horses...

Now wolpertingers, are a different story. They're my favourite lil' cryptids!

See look, cute little bugger.

Now I certainly do believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I do not however wish to worship him... What is his domain?

I think it's fair enough to love Pagans, I like athiests... So it all works out!

Asmodean

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Hmm, mostly wishful thinking.
At least you are honest about it  :)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Martin TK

My young friend, I do hope you will stick around, this forum needs lively debates without all the dogma that we get from many who don't follow along with what we see as our world view.  Atheists, by definition, don't really have a belief "system" per se, more of a NON-belief system.  I do encourage you to read as much as possible, but not just the crap you can find on the internet, although that can be informative, too; it's just that real books tend to be more connective, in my opinion, and less transitive, and I just like holding them in my hands...

IF I had to really hold to some type of belief system, it would either be paganism or Taoism, as both tend to calm me when I read about them or think abou them.  The Tao Te Ching is a wonderful book, if you find a good translation, and if you just want a cute intro to the Tao, read the TAO of Pooh and the Te of Piglet; both excellent reads.

Well PEACE and have a GREAT church-free Sunday.... I'm gonna watch football until my brain locks up.  LOL
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Byronazriel

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Byronazriel"Hmm, mostly wishful thinking.
At least you are honest about it  :bananacolor:

Asmodean

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Well I don't really have the cozy benefits of being rasied into religion, or a book with all the answers, or blind faith...

Probably why I like hanging around in athiest forums.   :bananacolor:
I think believers of your kind are quite ok, actually. (Even if I tend to give your beliefs a rather cold reception)

You tend not to preach and believe just for yourself. Even though I may disagree with some of the opinions and ideas you hold, at least you are... Interesting. Can live with that.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Byronazriel

Quote from: "Martin TK"IF I had to really hold to some type of belief system, it would either be paganism or Taoism, as both tend to calm me when I read about them or think abou them.  The Tao Te Ching is a wonderful book, if you find a good translation, and if you just want a cute intro to the Tao, read the TAO of Pooh and the Te of Piglet; both excellent reads.

Well PEACE and have a GREAT church-free Sunday.... I'm gonna watch football until my brain locks up.  LOL

The only stuff I know about Taoism, is what I learned from the TvTropes useful notes section on it.

When I get some money, I'll see about getting a book. Amazon would probably have one right?

I was under the impression that this was thursday...  :drool

Sireal

"I believe in the power of belief."-Robert Anton Wilson.

....and I tend to agree with Bob on this one.

KebertX

Quote from: "KebertX"First, let me say that the OP should definitely stick around! I love Pagans! I love Paganism!

It really weirded me out when I saw this post: I'm saying nice things to OP. I moved to 4chan for a while, and apparently forgot how to say nice things to OP.

Time to start over with internet etiquette: post above this one is not a faggot. . .   :verysad:
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Tank

Quote from: "KebertX"

It really weirded me out when I saw this post: I'm saying nice things to OP. I moved to 4chan for a while, and apparently forgot how to say nice things to OP.

Time to start over with internet etiquette: post above this one is not a faggot. . .   :verysad:
4chan is definitely a corrosive place to hang out, it attracts the very worst of internet humanity, good thing you've got yourself out of there!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.