News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What you believe in

Started by Byronazriel, September 03, 2010, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cite134

Quote from: "Byronazriel"...You're such a  party pooper.  lol

There's still the chance of one of the inteligent civilizations developing FTL travel!

Correct me if I'm wrong....but I thought FTL was impossible?
Anywho, other than death and my thoughts....I don't think I really 'believe' in anything.

As for intelligent extraterrestrial life: I am not certain that they are out there, but I think it would be very arrogant of anyone to assume that we were the only intelligent life forms who exist, or EVER existed in the universe.

My biggest dream is for scientists to discover that there is life out there, even more so intelligent life. We've only recently been able to discover about 500 extrasolar planets within a 300 ly radius from our planet (keep in mind the Milkyway Galaxy is 100,000 ly in diameter). As I look at my own solar system and understand that there are other systems alike in the vast cosmos...I almost become certain that there is other life, including intelligent life.

However, I do agree with Tank that it my be well out of our lifetime before we will make such a grand discovery.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Byronazriel

Technically FTL speed is only impossible because it would require greater than infinite energy to accelerate a given mass to a higher speed than 299,792,458 metres per second...

Theoretically you could warp space in such a way that you are actually travelling only a short distance, but you end up a great distance away... Hence "Warp drive"

Wormholes, teleportation, and other such things bypass this rule by crossing great distances without actually crossing great distances... Like taking a shortcut. You're still going the speed limit, but you aren't staying on the road.

In other words in order to cheat you must go from A to C without travelling through B.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

i_am_i

Quote from: "Byronazriel"
Quote from: "i_am_i"Why don't you believe in god?

I believe in lots of gods.

Which ones?
Call me J

Sapere aude

Byronazriel

I believe that all, and any gods are equally valid human interpretations of universal forces.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

i_am_i

Quote from: "Byronazriel"I believe that all, and any gods are equally valid human interpretations of universal forces.

Well, no, that's not what you said. You said that you believe in many gods. So I'm asking you to name the gods you believe in.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Byronazriel

Do you want them in alpha/numeric order?

Or by religion?

Either way it would take far too long.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Do you want them in alpha/numeric order?

Or by religion?

Either way it would take far too long.

Okay, then just name one.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Byronazriel

Bilious:The oh god of hangovers

Whitney

I can't think of anything I believe in that can't be objectively shown to exist except the very basic belief that reality is not just an illusion. I find it productive to go ahead and take at least a tiny leap of faith on that topic.

There are things that I find highly possible, like aliens.  But I don't really believe in them.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Bilious:The oh god of hangovers

Come on, I'm serious. Won't you just name one of the gods you believe in?
Call me J

Sapere aude

Byronazriel

So am I, and I did.

I also believe in Cthulhu, Thor, Hercules, Jupiter, Superman, Santa, and Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I may not worship them, but I believe they exist.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Byronazriel"So am I, and I did.

I also believe in Cthulhu, Thor, Hercules, Jupiter, Superman, Santa, and Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I may not worship them, but I believe they exist.

Well this is utterly pointless bordering on moronic, so I believe I'll go watch the baseball game.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Byronazriel

Who's to ay anything has any more or less substance than anything else?

Do I exist any more than the incredible Hulk?

Is there any way for you, or I to know for sure?

Is an illusory apple any less or more real than a physical apple?

Whether the apple is made of conceptual dream fluid, or physical atomic particles doesn't matter. They are both apples.

A is A, an apple is an apple.

Everything is merely probability, you say that Bilious the oh god of hangovers is not a serious god... What's the difference between a fictional god, and a real god? No really, tell me.

Is Thor any more or less real than Hercules, is Batman any less real than Captain America?

Is Santa any less real than Jesus?

Is this dancing banana  :fish: ?

Or perhaps more along the lines of my religious beliefs: Is a brick any less or more real than the house it is a part of?

Can you construct a fake house out of real bricks? Yes, I've seen plenty of prop houses.

Can you make a real house out of fake bricks? Yes, you can certainly live in a house made of rubber bricks... perhaps not comfortably however.

At what point does a collection of trees become a forest?

That's my religious beliefs in a nutshell: A single tree can be a forest, but a forest cannot be a single tree.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Who's to ay anything has any more or less substance than anything else?

Do I exist any more than the incredible Hulk?

Is there any way for you, or I to know for sure?

Is an illusory apple any less or more real than a physical apple?

Whether the apple is made of conceptual dream fluid, or physical atomic particles doesn't matter. They are both apples.

A is A, an apple is an apple.

Everything is merely probability, you say that Bilious the oh god of hangovers is not a serious god... What's the difference between a fictional god, and a real god? No really, tell me.

Is Thor any more or less real than Hercules, is Batman any less real than Captain America?

Is Santa any less real than Jesus?

Is this dancing banana  :fish: ?

Or perhaps more along the lines of my religious beliefs: Is a brick any less or more real than the house it is a part of?

Can you construct a fake house out of real bricks? Yes, I've seen plenty of prop houses.

Can you make a real house out of fake bricks? Yes, you can certainly live in a house made of rubber bricks... perhaps not comfortably however.

At what point does a collection of trees become a forest?

That's my religious beliefs in a nutshell: A single tree can be a forest, but a forest cannot be a single tree.

Sorry, can't talk right now. Watching the baseball game.

It's 6-1 in the bottom of the seventh.
Call me J

Sapere aude

omfgzmariah

I believe in me, and myself. And that's all. What does that make me? A Levain (sp) Satanist?

Quote from: "Cite134"As for intelligent extraterrestrial life: I am not certain that they are out there, but I think it would be very arrogant of anyone to assume that we were the only intelligent life forms who exist, or EVER existed in the universe.

Agree. The probability of ET is very very high.

Quote from: "Whitney"I can't think of anything I believe in that can't be objectively shown to exist except the very basic belief that reality is not just an illusion. I find it productive to go ahead and take at least a tiny leap of faith on that topic.

I'm constantly questioning my reality, and I enjoy doing so.