News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What you believe in

Started by Byronazriel, September 03, 2010, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

I believe in Neosporin and the wind.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Thumpalumpacus

I'm pretty sure that the universe as we know it is not infinite.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Byronazriel

Of course, because knowledge is finite.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Thumpalumpacus

No, because time began with the big bang.  If the universe had an infinite size but a finite beginning, that would show a massive violation of relativity.  Of course, that could've happened, I suppose, during Planck-time, but that smacks of special pleading.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Cecilie

I didn't know Superman was based on a real story.
The world's what you create.

Cite134

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Technically FTL speed is only impossible because it would require greater than infinite energy to accelerate a given mass to a higher speed than 299,792,458 metres per second...

Theoretically you could warp space in such a way that you are actually travelling only a short distance, but you end up a great distance away... Hence "Warp drive"

Wormholes, teleportation, and other such things bypass this rule by crossing great distances without actually crossing great distances... Like taking a shortcut. You're still going the speed limit, but you aren't staying on the road.

In other words in order to cheat you must go from A to C without travelling through B.

Not faster than actual light speed, but I see what you're saying though.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Byronazriel"There's still the chance of one of the inteligent civilizations developing FTL travel!
Actually, I doubt it. You would need some sort of a singularity drive to achieve that (Or an equivalent that would mnore than likely have just as dangerous implications to it) and that would rip your space craft's atoms apart long before its installation. Personally, I believe in holes in the "fabric of space" more than in conventional C+ travel.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

philosoraptor

Though I am uncomfortable making a definite and positive assertion, I've had experiences with things that may or may not have been spiritual entities that I cannot find logical explanations for.

That's a kind of fancy way of saying I believe in ghosts.  ;) Although I am still open to the possibility that there is a scientific explanation, I just can't grasp it.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Asmodean

Quote from: "philosoraptor"Although I am still open to the possibility that there is a scientific explanation, I just can't grasp it.
Can't grasp or, more likely, are unaware of.  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

I believe there is much we don't know.
I hope we advance steadily for a thousand years, and then a million more.
I don't believe currently perceived limitations would necessarily apply.
Not a belief, just a hope.

Byronazriel

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"No, because time began with the big bang.  If the universe had an infinite size but a finite beginning, that would show a massive violation of relativity.  Of course, that could've happened, I suppose, during Planck-time, but that smacks of special pleading.

That's assuming Time didn't exist in some fashion before the big bang.

I'm not saying time relative to this universe, and sepcifically as a part of spacetime didn't begin with the big bang... Only that there was most likely some sort of Time that exsisted before then in some greater universe containing ours and all universes.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

humblesmurph

Byronazriel,

To answer the original question.  I believe the universe exists.  

It seems you believe in many things.  I guess the proper question to ask you is what don't you believe in?

Byronazriel

I don't believe that good can exist without evil, or at least in any meaningful way.

Nor do I believe that science can explain everything, but that's more to do with the vast amount of things to know, and not a limitation of science.

I don't believe that we are all that is, or will ever be.

I don't believe that consciousness ends with death.

There are a great may things I don't believe in.

Byronazriel

Quote from: "Cecilie"I didn't know Superman was based on a real story.

Nor do I, not here and now anyway.

I believe that he exists here and now as a concept, and that he exists in the flesh somewhere.

Tank

Quote from: "Byronazriel"...You're such a  party pooper.  :verysad:

I really do wish I live long enough to see some sort of alien life confirmed. By all accounts the most likely detection method will be spectroscopy where the reflected light from a planet reveals that there is a lot of photosynthesising plants as they have a characteristic absorption signature as one goes from the infra red (high reflection) to visible light (high absorption).
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.