News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Recycling bibles.

Started by thatprattbastard, December 16, 2009, 02:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatprattbastard

So recently I was thinking about how there are entirely too many bibles in the world.  I mean it's the most heavily sold book in the world still, there's one in every motel room, my parents house has like 6 or 7 of them, just sitting around on shelves untouched for years.  I thought it might be a good idea to organize group that would take some of these books and recycle them into more worthwhile reading material,   the "Origin of the Species" would seem entirely appropriate considering the recent debacle over it.  However I have absolutely no idea how to begin or go about the process of setting up something like this.     So if anyone has any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions please feel free to drop something in the comment box.

AlP

Welcome to the forum.

There are for sure a lot of bibles. I'm uneasy about destroying them though. Historically, books have been destroyed before. Humanity lost. Despite disagreeing with the bible, I think it must be preserved at all costs. It is vital to our understanding of history.

We don't need quite so many of course, especially since they are now mass produced and identical. The odd "loss" of a Gideons bible from a hotel room can be fun times. The Mormons are at it too. Look for their book :).

There is a fine line between removing a bible out of circulation and showing disrespect. I'm not talking about disrespect toward religion. That's impossible. I mean disrespect toward individuals who value things like bibles. My roommates are religious. There is at least one religious item in my living room right now. I'm not going to dispose of it, because I respect my roommate.

In terms of changing society, I don't think recycling bibles will help a lot. I think we need to change the ideology of individual people.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

curiosityandthecat

Aaaahahahaha! I thought this thread was called "Recycling babies" and I got excited for another Swiftian satire thread!

:blush:

Please, continue.
-Curio

karadan

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Aaaahahahaha! I thought this thread was called "Recycling babies" and I got excited for another Swiftian satire thread!

roflol
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Aaaahahahaha! I thought this thread was called "Recycling babies" and I got excited for another Swiftian satire thread!

:blush:

Please, continue.

Lol there is a way to recycle babies its called stem cell research.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

derrensmiths

HI!!!
I totally agree with you. But no one is going to give you any copy they have. The bible play vital role in each heart.
In today's world each and every thing is done scientifically. The only thing is left is creation of human being rest all is done scientifically. Science says that there is no god in between their way.

kenh

Will

Book burnings are about removing ideas from the world. The Bible isn't going to be removed from the world in this generation or the many following it. Recycling the book seems like a good idea, though. I've got at least three copies, none of which I use anymore, and I don't want to just give them to a used book store like I would other books, because I only generally give my favorites to used book stores.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

curiosityandthecat

Okay, I still keep thinking this says Recycling babies.  :crazy:
-Curio

jrosebud

My sister has a friend in college who never turns down a Gideon Bible.  She says they make great rolling paper.   :P
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

hismikeness

Quote from: "jrosebud"My sister has a friend in college who never turns down a Gideon Bible.  She says they make great rolling paper.   :P

John 4:20

"And Moses spoke to the burning bush."

Or some shit like that.

Hismikeness
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

lookitsaustin

It's kinda weird but I still have my Bible that was given to me from a church when I graduated high school. The town I grew up in is very small with a graduating class of around 30, so it wasn't really out of the norm for me to get something like that. I was a non believer back then, not quite Atheist, and thought it was nice for them to do that regardless, each one had our own names on the front...... anyway..... :drool I don't think I would get rid of it even though I don't believe anymore. I would feel it would be like me throwing away a book about Zeus or any other mythical tale.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "jrosebud"My sister has a friend in college who never turns down a Gideon Bible.  She says they make great rolling paper.   :P

It's supposed to be "Reduce Reuse Recycle"

So rolling papers are reuse, better than recycling.
Best option though is to reduce the production of the things.

Whitney

Quote from: "lookitsaustin"It's kinda weird but I still have my Bible that was given to me from a church when I graduated high school. The town I grew up in is very small with a graduating class of around 30, so it wasn't really out of the norm for me to get something like that. I was a non believer back then, not quite Atheist, and thought it was nice for them to do that regardless, each one had our own names on the front...... anyway..... :drool I don't think I would get rid of it even though I don't believe anymore. I would feel it would be like me throwing away a book about Zeus or any other mythical tale.

I don't know where they are, but if I ever come across my childhood bibles I would keep any of them that held sentimental value (like with your example) I think one or two of mine might be family heirlooms and regardless of my views about the book itself I still appreciate the tradition of passing along an old text (though I would do so the same as I would an old book of myths).

I have recently felt the desire to get rid of a lot of things (aka crap) many of which would have held significance to me if were still religious...I am literally giving about 10 nativity displays of high quality to goodwill because I don't like the idea of throwing stuff int he trash and someone else may find joy in them.  Even then there is one nativity set that my grandmother made which I will keep (if I come across it, haven't found it yet amongst all the crap....not my fault, mom is a hoarder/pack rat).   I am definitely keeping a wooden noah's ark set I wanted so dearly years ago...it brings back memories even if my view of that memory has changed.

In short, it's not bad to want to keep something even if it represents a belief you no longer hold.