News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

WHY BE ATHEIST?

Started by Asmodean Prime, January 11, 2007, 10:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

[glow=red]What is the benefit of being atheist?

why not be muslim, christian or jewish...or budhist or hindu???
[/glow]

http://forum.islamquest.net/forums/defa ... GroupID=11

Faylen

Because being any of those religions requires that you suspend your disbelief enough that you believe in things that are patently false.  They also require that you constantly have to mentally reinforce the idea "I'm right, they're wrong" without any rational evidence to prove it.

MikeyV

I won't answer this poll.

Firstly, there are no beneficial religions. There are religions that have had benefits for individuals, but overall, religion has had a negative impact on society.

Secondly, atheism is not a religion. It's simply a lack of belief in god or gods. I suggest you understand the terminology before posting here.

Thirdly, why the annoying font? The red color is apropos. It's reminiscent of the blood shed in the name of Allah (PB&J). And what's with the link to a muslim website? Do you really think you are going to gain converts to Islam here?
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "MikeyV"I won't answer this poll.  

I second that.  Thanks, MikeyV! (PB&J)

:wink:

Whitney

Quote from: "MommaSquid"

Thirded lol

I don't decide what is true based on how it can benefit me.

Tom62

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "MommaSquid"

Thirded lol

I don't decide what is true based on how it can benefit me.

Fourthed  :lol:

There are only harmful and less harmful religions.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Will

I study Buddhism. I study Christianity, Judism, and Islam. They all have wonderful messages in them. I'd not practice them, but hey're nice. It's the followers I'm not in love with.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

BGMA

Here's the reason, I'm gonna paraphrase someone, I'd have to check to see who:

Religion teaches the dangerous nonsense that death is not the end.

Atheism gives us true appreciation for life, and for doing good things on earth in the short time we have here, not for some supposed reward, but just because they are good things.

And personally, atheism has erased all fear of death for me.  I am afraid of dy-ING (especially if it's painful), yes, and I try to NOT die.  And, I buy insurance, and plan for the eventuality.

But I have no fear whatsoever of the state of being dead.  I won't be there to see it!

Mastriani

I'm going to fifth the vote of no confidence on this poll.

I think I like what Richard Dawkins had to say on this matter:

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us, just go one god further."
Praedatorious culminis; hominis necis

Setec

Yeah, the poll is stupid.  Atheism isn't a religion, it's the lack of any religion.

The only reason anybody needs to be an atheist is that God doesn't exist.  Facts are facts, and you can't change them based on what might make you feel fuzzier inside.

Of course, God exists, but he's just a blogger, not an omnipotent being...

Will

Why be athiest? The chicks.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

ImpaledSkier

Ha!

atheists are the new rocks stars...
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas

McQ

Quote from: "ImpaledSkier"Ha!

atheists are the new rocks stars...

It's much easier to be a pirate as an atheist than otherwise. We're natural hell raisers. :evil:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

ImpaledSkier

Y'ar...
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas

User192021

Quote from: "Willravel"Why be athiest? The chicks.
No doubt.  Nothing will get you laid faster than telling a girl "Ya know...after you die, your body just decomposes into the earth and nothing happens."