News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Brit wins Tour de France

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, July 22, 2012, 07:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Siz

Yep. A very proud day.
Superb!

It has been a very enjoyable tour - some excellent entertainment and something to inspire a generation in the most positive way - including my very own prodigal son who now wants to BE Cav!

Simply brilliant!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Recusant

It's great to see a rider from the UK win this race.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 22, 2012, 07:35:27 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/sport/tour-wiggins-froome-cavendish/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Congratulations.

Now we await the allegations of doping. ;D
Yes please. I have started a half dozen investigations that need some juicy allegations.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tank

Any other year this guy would be a safe bet as "Sports personality of the year!" But he chooses to win it in the year we have the Olympics in LONDON! Poor sod!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on July 22, 2012, 10:26:33 PM
Any other year this guy would be a safe bet as "Sports personality of the year!" But he chooses to win it in the year we have the Olympics in LONDON! Poor sod!

I imagine he  should still be pretty well a shoo- in given the uniqueness and magnitude of his achievement. Plus those sideburns.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Siz

Quote from: En_Route on July 22, 2012, 10:36:49 PM

I imagine he  should still be pretty well a shoo- in given the uniqueness and magnitude of his achievement. Plus those sideburns.
Haha, I'm cultivating my own in the hope some of the magic will rub off.

Do you think that as Cav is the current holder of the title (sports personality) they'd give it to another cyclist - especially from the same team?

Maybe it should go to John Terry. He's a regular guy... :-\

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Icarus

Dope or no dope, sideburns, and speaking with a funny brit accent matters not. He is one hell of an athlete. Congrats!

En_Route

Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 22, 2012, 11:46:11 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 22, 2012, 10:36:49 PM

Haha, I'm cultivating my own in the hope some of the magic will rub off.

Do you think that as Cav is the current holder of the title (sports personality) they'd give it to another cyclist - especially from the same team?

Maybe it should go to John Terry. He's a regular guy... :-\

Well, unless Andy Murray wins a grand slam, I imagine he'll still get it; so as I said, he's a shoo-in. That's a bit unkind on Murray who is cursed by the fact that he has Federer, Djokovic and Nadal as his contemporaries, all of whom are arguably now ,or will,  feature in a top 10 of all time. As for JT, where does one begin? He seems to be an archetypal sociopath but in modern football that is regarded as a mere foible.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Crow

Yeah he will easily get the sports personality of the year award. The only way I can imagine anyone else winning would be if one of our runners managed out of nowhere to beat Bolt, Blake, and Gay in all sprinting events.
Retired member.