News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

My show

Started by cgmccall, April 08, 2012, 08:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on May 04, 2012, 12:18:19 PM
With respect, you are conflating quite different things. Criticism of creative work is not an educational dialogue designed to persuade the author of the error of their ways. It is simply a passing of judgement on the perceived merits of the work in question. I couldn't care less whether or not cgm places any weight on my opinion or not.
Well in this respect we do differ. If a person asks for criticism/comment then they have, IMO, invited dialogue with the aim of improving their work.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on May 04, 2012, 01:56:59 PM
With respect, you are conflating quite different things. Criticism of creative work is not an educational dialogue designed to persuade the author of the error of their ways. It is simply a passing of judgement on the perceived merits of the work in question. I couldn't care less whether or not cgm places any weight on my opinion or not.
Well in this respect we do differ. If a person asks for criticism/comment then they have, IMO, invited dialogue with the aim of improving their work.
Well being told their work is awesome or fantastic is hardly going to contribute to that objective either. But yes we do differ on this point. Registering appreciation or otherwise is the most anybody can reasonably expect; there is no onus on anybody to even go that far , least of all engage in a fuller analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the piece.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

En_Route

Actually, Looking back, his question was whether he could make money from this. So, really a simple no on my part would have sufficed.

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on May 04, 2012, 03:38:51 PM
Well being told their work is awesome or fantastic is hardly going to contribute to that objective either. But yes we do differ on this point. Registering appreciation or otherwise is the most anybody can reasonably expect; there is no onus on anybody to even go that far , least of all engage in a fuller analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the piece.
Quite so. But if one has the time and the inclination there's nowt stopping one either  :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on May 04, 2012, 03:40:47 PM

Actually, Looking back, his question was whether he could make money from this. So, really a simple no on my part would have sufficed.

Interestingly there is an objective proof under way right now http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=9827.0

15 days in with 15 to go he's had just over $1,000 pledged.

En_Route

Not so. That is investment not profit. Furthermore, you can be pretty sure that anyone who has pledged money will lose it all.

En_Route

I'd also add these figures are not verifiied. The three main backers could be him, his mum and his dad for all we know. I'm also not sure it is quite appropriate for you to be acting as cheerleader for someone who has been a member for 5 minutes , whom you know nothing about and who is now soliciting money from other members.

The Magic Pudding

A controversial issue, praise being showered by the majority and En_Route not so enthusiastic.

If it isn't already obvious and for newcomers, my benighted nature resents praise directed at others.

I checked out the first video, I thought it was gnnnnerrrrr-SLAP... good.
The best comedy does the unexpected, it wasn't the best for me 'cause I know those points, might be new for others.
It was fast, that's OK if you know the story but for newcomers?
Good voice.
It was clever.
I'd buy cgmccall a beer but don't you fear En_Route, I've got my own absurdities to finance.

Anyway thanks En_Route for playing the villain, people are too often oh so agreeably boring around here.

En_Route

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 05, 2012, 03:10:32 PM
A controversial issue, praise being showered by the majority and En_Route not so enthusiastic.

If it isn't already obvious and for newcomers, my benighted nature resents praise directed at others.

I checked out the first video, I thought it was gnnnnerrrrr-SLAP... good.
The best comedy does the unexpected, it wasn't the best for me 'cause I know those points, might be new for others.
It was fast, that's OK if you know the story but for newcomers?
Good voice.
It was clever.
I'd buy cgmccall a beer but don't you fear En_Route, I've got my own absurdities to finance.

Anyway thanks En_Route for playing the villain, people are too often oh so agreeably boring around here.

Yes, even on an atheist forum, deviation from the party line earns a fair degree of odium. Vacuous plaudits good, unsparing and explicit criticism bad. Interestingly too, the use of false analogies ( such as with peer reviews or negotiating) to justify a gut reaction ...sounds familiar?

Tank

I think En_Route should change his avatar to:-

;)

Ali

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 03:39:51 PM
I think En_Route should change his avatar to:-

;)

Hahahhaahhaha.  Seconded and passed.

En_Route

When such wise heads concur, who am I to differ?

Tank

Amicale

En Route, I love that look for you!  ;) It's so gloriously pessimistically blue!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

En_Route

Quote from: Amicale on May 06, 2012, 10:45:38 PM
En Route, I love that look for you!  ;) It's so gloriously pessimistically blue!

I sense a definite consensus forming here.