News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Abstinence-only education does not lead to abstinent behavior

Started by Squid, November 29, 2011, 11:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not your typical...

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 30, 2011, 08:47:14 PM
That was tried, and it got the Surgeon General who suggested it fired.  And if I'm remembering this right, she was Clinton's SG -- I don't imagine things are any better now.  I think they should have labs with sex ed classes, and the lab should consist entirely of 30 mins of listening to a recording of a crankly baby screaming.
In my school it worked. We had the lowest pregnancy rate in the whole state. Only once in 80 years of the school being around has one of our students gotten pregnant. And I know for a fact that at least 40% of the student body was having sex by 10th grade.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

DeterminedJuliet

This information does not surprise me in the slightest.

When I was in elementary school I remember we had some kind of weird assembly with a group of teenagers who preached the virtues of abstinence. They told us that if you use a condom you had a 1/6 chance of getting pregnant - not that the condom could break, oh no, that you would get pregnant/hiv/the clap one in 6 times and the only safe alternative was to never have sex until you're married. I don't even think they even touched on other forms of birth control.

People will tell children really crazy stuff if it suits their "agenda"
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: not your typical... on November 30, 2011, 09:34:41 PM
In my school it worked. We had the lowest pregnancy rate in the whole state. Only once in 80 years of the school being around has one of our students gotten pregnant. And I know for a fact that at least 40% of the student body was having sex by 10th grade.

I'm surprised the hysterical fringe didn't land on your school like a ton of bricks.  What all goes into the sex ed at your school?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Fi

I am both stupefied and amused that we needed a study to confirm this.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 30, 2011, 08:34:10 PM
Abstinence makes the hard grow longer.
Uh... What..?

Is that some kind of euphemism for "It makes your dick bigger"?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

not your typical...

Quote from: Asmodean on December 01, 2011, 03:26:15 AM
Uh... What..?

Hahaha. I guess it could with as much of you hand it'd be seeing.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 30, 2011, 08:47:14 PM
Quote from: not your typical... on November 30, 2011, 12:20:26 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on November 29, 2011, 11:48:10 PM
Well, duh!

Teach the kids how to use a rubber in stead of trying to teach them that HIV is god's punishment for their wicked ways, is what I say.

Well that and it helps them understand better what they sign up for when they have sex as well as going in to detail about other ways to gain sexual satisfaction besides just sticking it somewhere.

That was tried, and it got the Surgeon General who suggested it fired.  And if I'm remembering this right, she was Clinton's SG -- I don't imagine things are any better now.  I think they should have labs with sex ed classes, and the lab should consist entirely of 30 mins of listening to a recording of a crankly baby screaming.
Brilliant! Absolutly right! LOL!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Asmodean on December 01, 2011, 03:26:15 AM
Uh... What..?

It was supposed to be a play on the phrase "absence makes the heart grow fonder." But maybe that phrase is not as well known as I thought.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 01, 2011, 04:40:42 PM
It was supposed to be a play on the phrase "absence makes the heart grow fonder." But maybe that phrase is not as well known as I thought.
Oh..! No, I did not know it.

And no, I don't agree with it. For me, it was always more like... Familiarity breeds contempt and absence breeds detachement. But then, I've always been a great one for cleaning out my closet and moving forward.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 01, 2011, 04:40:42 PM

I knew where it was coming from, I just wasn't sure where it was going.

It could be a good promotion for us pro abstinence puddings, leave it alone and it will grow as in permanently measurably longer.  I doubt there is evidence for this but that wouldn't stop me using it.  Alternately it could be taken that eschewing all relief leads to more frequent, often inappropriate temporary growth.  I expect there is evidence for this but I will be denying it.

not your typical...

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 01, 2011, 12:16:28 AM
I'm surprised the hysterical fringe didn't land on your school like a ton of bricks.  What all goes into the sex ed at your school?
They gave us videos. Lost of them. One had cats on a quilt. Seeing orange cats still scares me to this day... Ever heard of the Miracle of Life video? Basically, it's a camera shoved up some woman that shows everything from ejaculation to birth. The first time we watched it was in 6th grade, and while we were hysterical then, by 7th grade all was forgotten cuz they started giving us condoms. Since we were in a middle school that was joined with a high school and they knew the high-schoolers were very.... persuasive, they figured it was a good safety measure. Some of my most scaring memories were from 7th grade... We learned positions. *shudders*

Buddy

Quote from: not your typical... on December 05, 2011, 06:47:52 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 01, 2011, 12:16:28 AM
They gave us videos. Lost of them. One had cats on a quilt. Seeing orange cats still scares me to this day... Ever heard of the Miracle of Life video? Basically, it's a camera shoved up some woman that shows everything from ejaculation to birth. The first time we watched it was in 6th grade, and while we were hysterical then, by 7th grade all was forgotten cuz they started giving us condoms. Since we were in a middle school that was joined with a high school and they knew the high-schoolers were very.... persuasive, they figured it was a good safety measure. Some of my most scaring memories were from 7th grade... We learned positions. *shudders*

Oh yea, I remember watching that earlier this year. I didn't find it bad at all. I freaked everybody out in my class because I was eating during the whole move.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.