News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The End Of The Male

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, October 31, 2011, 02:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on November 01, 2011, 08:53:29 AM
Having said that can you imagine a world populated just by women?
Many a dream of mine starts off this way

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on November 01, 2011, 09:59:17 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 01, 2011, 08:53:29 AM
Having said that can you imagine a world populated just by women?
Many a dream of mine starts off this way
LOL
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 31, 2011, 11:31:55 PM
No, I'm not suggesting any evil intent. I'm just thinking about the long term effects of subtle choices.  If things start tending like I'm suggesting, males will certainly be in the minority, and except for Tank's idea about rare things having value, there would theoretically be nothing to stop the complete demise of the unfair sex.

I don't know, it seems then we'd have to rely entirely on technology for reproduction and genetic variety, and I think biology is just a safer bet.  But as far as a restructuring of marriage goes, I've sometimes thought that marriage between or among women makes more sense.  Women seem more invested in marriage for stability and well-being while, at least according to you, men are invested in marriage only for control and possession.  I know which priority I'd prefer in a partner, with or without sex.  And I really can't see going back to the days when women needed to get or stay with a man, no matter what, because we lacked better options.  So how about this -- marriage as an official financial and domestic arrangement between two, or more, women for the benefit of themselves and their kids, with men unofficially available for stud service?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 01, 2011, 03:09:11 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 01, 2011, 02:41:04 AM

I think a lot more would have to change in the world for the world population to lean much more towards females. You're basing this on what women in developed countries think, because there isn't the heavy social pressure to have male children (so that they can in turn look after their parents) that exists in places such as Asia and Africa.

This is a valid observation, and this fact will probably work to delay the ultimate domination of women for a hundred years or so.  But eventually, the sort of conditions that now exist in the West will predominate, and women will be in control of reproduction worldwide.  Advantage - female.

Yeah...I don't know. Speculating way into the future is out of my comfort zone. A lot can happen ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 31, 2011, 02:57:03 AM
They won't even need to keep us around for breeding purposes, and they will all get used to strap-ons for sexual gratification.

Just as a note, while strap-ons are fun every now and then, they're more of a novelty item than a necessity when it come to sex without men.
Sandy

Crow

This is all reminding me of an episode of Sliders.
Retired member.

Whitney

So, in order for men to go extinct:

All women have to abort their male babies.
When using artificial means all women have to use genetic methods to have female babies.
All women have to become lesbians (so they won't get ideas about it being good to have some males in the population).
Science has to figure out a way for women to produce without men to harvest sperm from.

Other than the last one...none of this sounds like it's going to happen in the distant future.

Ecurb Noselrub

Well, you've all given a lot of good reasons why I don't have to worry about my gender disappearing.  But all of your comments to the contrary notwithstanding, it appears to me that the flow of history, the Zeitgeist, the spirit of the age, is all in favor of the female. Even patriarchal societies such as those found in Islamic countries will eventually have to move toward equality for women.  With the dominance of social media, women have a voice throughout the world, and it will be hard for any country to keep them oppressed for long. And once they gain equality, they immediately have superiority, because they control sex and they control reproduction.  Eventually, that will certainly mean that the vast majority of people will be female, as women will see fewer and fewer reasons to put up with men.  They will choose to have female children in great majorities, and men will become like drones in a beehive.  Women will realize that most wars, violence, oppression and other evils in their lives are usually caused by men. It may take awhile, but that's my prediction.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 02, 2011, 01:35:08 AM
Eventually, that will certainly mean that the vast majority of people will be female, as women will see fewer and fewer reasons to put up with men.  

One would think men would take this as a word to the wise.
Sandy

Attila

I somehow get the feeling that Bruce is going through a bad patch. Cheer up, man, you still have your youth. :)

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 02, 2011, 01:35:08 AM
Well, you've all given a lot of good reasons why I don't have to worry about my gender disappearing.  But all of your comments to the contrary notwithstanding, it appears to me that the flow of history, the Zeitgeist, the spirit of the age, is all in favor of the female. Even patriarchal societies such as those found in Islamic countries will eventually have to move toward equality for women.  With the dominance of social media, women have a voice throughout the world, and it will be hard for any country to keep them oppressed for long. And once they gain equality, they immediately have superiority, because they control sex and they control reproduction.  Eventually, that will certainly mean that the vast majority of people will be female, as women will see fewer and fewer reasons to put up with men.  They will choose to have female children in great majorities, and men will become like drones in a beehive.  Women will realize that most wars, violence, oppression and other evils in their lives are usually caused by men. It may take awhile, but that's my prediction.
I don't think I've ever read such an unmitigated pile of crap in all my life  :D

1) What would be the problem if men died out (as long as viable fetuses were not aborted simple because they were male).
2) Equality means equality, not superiority.
3) Natural selection will come into play and males that don't respect females as equals will die out.
4) Males who respect females as people, not mobile reproduction units, will get to reproduce. Thus the nature of the male will change.
5) "Women will realize that most wars, violence, oppression and other evils in their lives are usually caused by men. It may take a while, but that's my prediction." and this isn't blindingly obvious to men and women already?

My wife is highly intelligent and (as far as I know) 100% heterosexual. We have three kids, a girl and then boy/girl twins. At no point were either of us worried about what gender our kids were, just that they were fully functional and grew up into good people. We were lucky on both counts.

Women have generally been oppressed by men until pretty much the last 100 years. It's not surprising that if one half of the population is oppressed that when that oppression is removed there will be a backlash, but then there will be a backlash to the backlash, but it won't go as far. Thus the system will settle to a new point of dynamic balance because that is the point of least effort. Having kids without interference is the norm. Actively selecting the gender of a child takes time, effort and resources. Only a minority of people will want to expend that time, effort and resource. So while the ratio of males to females may oscillate I very, very much doubt it will ever swing 100% to one gender or the other.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ildiko

But first we have to divorce you and steal all your money. <Memo to self: need to get married first.>

According to a 2004 paper by Jennifer A. Marshall Graves (another bloody woman, eh?) at ANU Canberra:

QuoteThe human Y chromosome is running out of time. In the last 300 million years, it has lost 1393 of its original 1438 genes, and at this rate it will lose the last 45 in a mere 10 million years.

So calm down, you only had another 10 million years to go anyway.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ildiko on November 02, 2011, 11:39:19 AM
But first we have to divorce you and steal all your money. <Memo to self: need to get married first.>

According to a 2004 paper by Jennifer A. Marshall Graves (another bloody woman, eh?) at ANU Canberra:

QuoteThe human Y chromosome is running out of time. In the last 300 million years, it has lost 1393 of its original 1438 genes, and at this rate it will lose the last 45 in a mere 10 million years.

So calm down, you only had another 10 million years to go anyway.

Men dominated women for the first 90% of humankind's existance, don't worry, once we're your masters, I'm sure we'll be kind overlords.

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

OldGit

I suspect that female supremacy can only last in an artificial, politicised society.  Next week, when Greece collapses and sends us all back to the Stone Age, normal conditions will return and the biggest and strongest will dominate.

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 01, 2011, 04:01:18 PM
Speculating way into the future is out of my comfort zone
Didn't they just behead somebody in Saudi Arabia or some such for pretty much exactly that sort of activity..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.