Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What food brings your mood up?

Started by Sweetdeath, May 28, 2011, 05:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 08, 2012, 01:27:12 AM
Quote from: Cerulean on January 08, 2012, 01:02:40 AM
So, what makes you feel all warm and cozy and happy?

Aside from the already mentioned mac & cheese (which I wish I could make the way my Dad did), I'd say a tuna sandwich with dill pickles and a cup of hot tea.

So, a dill pickle fan? Have you any experience in French cornichons? To me there is only one pickle on Earth worth eating - the French 'Maille' cornichons. Crisp and sharp and nicely spiced. You seem like a discerning sort, Cats, so I thought you'd appreciate the pointer... (unless you actually like those American/UK fat, sweet, soggy things...)

Anyway, as for my choices apart from scoffing an imported jar of cornichons, I'd have to go with sushi/sashimi.

Also liquorice - not too soft, not too sweet.

And a 'grande' Starbucks caramel machiato.

And Stinky cheese - preferably French, but other northern European offerings can be acceptable. Strong, quality British Cheddar. All served on a cool, crisp baguette, apart from blue cheese which I like on a sweet digestive.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Found the old thread on this subject and merged them  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

I had an insane craving for doughnuts the other day. Which is is weird, because I rarely eat doughnuts.

Then I bought some and all was happy with the world.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 08, 2012, 09:46:13 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 08, 2012, 01:27:12 AM
Aside from the already mentioned mac & cheese (which I wish I could make the way my Dad did), I'd say a tuna sandwich with dill pickles and a cup of hot tea.

So, a dill pickle fan? Have you any experience in French cornichons? To me there is only one pickle on Earth worth eating - the French 'Maille' cornichons. Crisp and sharp and nicely spiced. You seem like a discerning sort, Cats, so I thought you'd appreciate the pointer... (unless you actually like those American/UK fat, sweet, soggy things...)

Not sure I can be called a fan but there are some sandwiches that just demand a dill pickle.  Most people I know put sweet pickle relish in tuna sandwiches and it's just the wrong note entirely but they seem to be afraid of dill pickles, or maybe they've just never had a good one or don't like the taste.  In any case, you're right and it's hard to find a pickle in the stores that isn't soggy, and some delis aren't much better.  I'll keep an eye out for the French pickles you mentioned.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Traveler

french fries with a chocolate milkshake

pizza

Captain Morgan's spiced rum with Diet Coke and a twist of lime

grilled cheese and creamy tomato soup
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Traveler on January 09, 2012, 01:34:00 AM
grilled cheese and creamy tomato soup

The perfect meal on a cold, rainy day.
Sandy

Ali

When I was pregnant, doughnuts and (separately) broccoli were my "thing".  T now loves both, so maybe that was really his thing?

As for me, when it comes to my favorite snack food, I love jalapeno potato chips. I'm not really big on anything sweet though.

I was wondering (before I saw this thread) - is anyone interested in doing some sort of Healthy Living thread with me?  I have this stupid thyroid thing, so I am always looking for motivation to stay on top of working out and eating healthy.

Tank

How about a Health and Hypochondria sub-forum in community  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on January 09, 2012, 05:39:07 AM
I was wondering (before I saw this thread) - is anyone interested in doing some sort of Healthy Living thread with me? 

I wouldn't mind giving it a try -- I'm finding going vegetarian a whole lot easier said than done.
Sandy

Traveler

Quote from: Ali on January 09, 2012, 05:39:07 AM
...I was wondering (before I saw this thread) - is anyone interested in doing some sort of Healthy Living thread with me?  I have this stupid thyroid thing, so I am always looking for motivation to stay on top of working out and eating healthy.

Count me in!!! I was eating healthy for awhile and have slipped badly.

QuoteI wouldn't mind giving it a try -- I'm finding going vegetarian a whole lot easier said than done

I was vegetarian for awhile and slipped on that too. I'm a breast cancer survivor, and a no or low meat diet is highly recommended to help prevent a recurrance.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Sweetdeath

I eat fairly healthy. If I give an opinion, just replacing any sugary beverage with hot tea or room temp water does wonders! It's how I got a flatter tummy with minimal exercise.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 09, 2012, 03:34:46 PM
I'm finding going vegetarian a whole lot easier said than done.

It sure is. I find eating a diet that consists primarily of veg, fruit, and pulses with meat and fish incorporated only 1 or 2 times a week works perfectly for me. I don't do it for any other reason other than I prefer vegetarian meal.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on January 09, 2012, 11:12:31 PM

It sure is. I find eating a diet that consists primarily of veg, fruit, and pulses with meat and fish incorporated only 1 or 2 times a week works perfectly for me. I don't do it for any other reason other than I prefer vegetarian meal.

Replacing meat for fish works so well. *___* I looove  salmon~
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 10, 2012, 12:18:59 AM
Quote from: Crow on January 09, 2012, 11:12:31 PM

Replacing meat for fish works so well. *___* I looove  salmon~

And, thank goodness, so do I.  In fact I love pretty much all seafood and don't think I could give it up even with a gun to my head.  "You can take my life, but you can never take my calamari!"

Quote from: Traveler on January 09, 2012, 03:57:47 PM
I was vegetarian for awhile and slipped on that too. I'm a breast cancer survivor, and a no or low meat diet is highly recommended to help prevent a recurrance.

My doctor recommended it to me because of a history of heart disease on one side of my family, stroke on the other and adult on-set diabetes on both.  It's pretty much the diet if you want to up your chances of a healthy body.  What's really irking me is that I was a vegetarian before, from my mid-teens to my early 30s, and I don't remember it being at all hard to give up then.

Sandy

Traveler

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 10, 2012, 01:29:52 AM
...What's really irking me is that I was a vegetarian before, from my mid-teens to my early 30s, and I don't remember it being at all hard to give up then.

The hardest part for me was when I traveled. And it requires being more conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth and my shopping cart. That lack of consciousness is also what's led to my gaining weight.