What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 16, 2020, 06:06:17 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 16, 2020, 04:26:37 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2020, 02:22:09 PM

Those lovely eyes :tellmemore:

Forget the monster, that baby is so out of proportion! His head is like a neck tumor...and his back!

Aliens!
:lol:
I can't stop looking at this painting.

Look at the baby's hand! It's just fingers attached to an arm. And the skin color, totally different.

This painter did not make the gods happy.  :sadshake:

We should start a "Holy crap, look at this painting" thread.  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

This guy:
Advancement, growth, development, steady unceasing enhancement.

Leaving the dark, stagnating wilderness of ignorance for the bright, alert expanse of knowledge.

Mr. Pam:
Did somebody hack your account?

Bad Penny Bad Penny:
That's not out of character, ask him how well humans are progressing.

Raps 247:
You guys are funny.

But looks aren't everything.

billy rubin

Quote from: No one on December 17, 2020, 05:14:28 AM

Leaving the dark, stagnating wilderness of ignorance for the bright, alert expanse of knowledge.

that definitin requires a system of values that elevates one condition over another

what feature of the universe underlies the distinction?

not to be argumentative, but i've always wondered what makes some things "better" than other things.

good, bad, right, wrong, that stuff.

pain and hunger versus notpain, nothunger, is biologically straightforward, but the other stuff is pretty nebulous to me

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one

Go live in a cave, hunt and gather your bare necessities. Give up electricity, running water, modern medicine, then tell me which living arrangement is "better".

billy rubin

Quote from: No one on December 17, 2020, 05:14:28 AM

actually ive lived for extended periods without electricity, and only got year-round running water about three years ago

none of that was a function of a stagnating wilderness of ignorance. i had no less knowledge without running water than i do with it.

still don't have an indoor bathroom, but ignorance isn't the reason, just money

jumbojak

I should be meeting the girlfriend's dad in three hours. He asked me to bring tools so it looks like I'll be swapping out a ball joint on his car...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on December 18, 2020, 01:58:42 PM
I should be meeting the girlfriend's dad in three hours. He asked me to bring tools so it looks like I'll be swapping out a ball joint on his car...

Or you'll be under the car when he drops it on you!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

My brother in law died today. It was not unexpected. 69 and within a week the same age as his dad.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Randy

Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2020, 03:21:47 PM
My brother in law died today. It was not unexpected. 69 and within a week the same age as his dad.
I'm sorry to hear that Tank. Were you two close? You also said that it was expected. What did he die of?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Randy on December 18, 2020, 03:51:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Tank. Were you two close? You also said that it was expected. What did he die of?

We weren't particularly close. They live a 4 hour drive away so we didn't get together often. He was very unfit and diabetic. He'd had a verity of cancer's that he'd been cleared for but some secondaries cropped up that were inoperable. So it was terminal. They had put a bed in at his house and they were expecting him to come home next week. He took a turn for the worse and just didn't make it. :(

Randy

I should hear something about the clinical trial today and whether I'm eligible. I'm anxious to find out. I know the odds aren't in my favor that I'll get in but they are trying.

Also on my mind: pain relief. It's been a week since the medicine was prescribed but the pharmacy still doesn't have it. So my doctor went to another pharmacy and today they just let me know that they don't have it either so it's back to the doctor to try another one. It's ridiculous. I can't be the only one in pain so they should have an abundance of the little pills.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Sorry to see this. No matter if it's expected, it's always painful to lose someone.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Randy on December 18, 2020, 04:03:53 PM
I should hear something about the clinical trial today and whether I'm eligible. I'm anxious to find out. I know the odds aren't in my favor that I'll get in but they are trying.

Also on my mind: pain relief. It's been a week since the medicine was prescribed but the pharmacy still doesn't have it. So my doctor went to another pharmacy and today they just let me know that they don't have it either so it's back to the doctor to try another one. It's ridiculous. I can't be the only one in pain so they should have an abundance of the little pills.

I hope you get some relief, soon. Nagging pain, or any pain really, is not fun.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 18, 2020, 08:45:57 PM

Sorry to see this. No matter if it's expected, it's always painful to lose someone.

It is.

billy rubin

sorry to hear that.

my dad died at the age of 69. banging my mother, as my older sister confided (my mother wouldn't have mentioned that to me).

"at least we weren't fighting, " she said

ive probably shared that before now