News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Quote from: No one on June 12, 2020, 11:19:28 PM
Maybe you're finally getting that ketchup with that burger.
It's funny that you mention that. I should post what I'm thinking about in Dreams however.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

I'm just thinking about how this pandemic could change the profile of businesses in the near future.

My mother and sister teach English for a living, and have joint ownership of an English school. Its heydays have come and gone and now it's but a shadow of its former self. Added to the new fears involving physical interactions in close proximity, the exchange rate for foreign currencies such as the US dollar and Euro have skyrocketed. Most Heads of State, if they have any sense, will close off their country's border to people coming from Brazil for a while to come due to the pandemic, so anything related to travel (such as English as a second language classes) will probably take forever to recover as that's the main reason people seek out classes.   

It's highly unlikely the school will prosper again so my mother is thinking of slowly weaning herself off giving classes for a living and opening a coffee shop instead. My sister believes she can still live off giving online classes but she never really was the adaptable type. ::) I'm in the middle, encouraging my mother to look into the new venture but at the same time, telling her to check the numbers to see if it's viable.   

This could be interesting.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

If conspiracy theorists think life is a Hollywood movie, why hasn't a wealthy, smoking hot blonde with amnesia, who I can convince is my wife, not knocked on my door yet?

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 13, 2020, 08:34:50 PM
It's highly unlikely the school will prosper again so my mother is thinking of slowly weaning herself off giving classes for a living and opening a coffee shop instead.
When I was younger I had wanted to open a bookstore and thought about selling coffee there, kind of like Barnes & Noble. I figured that I would get more acquainted with people that way and do some reading from time to time.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on June 13, 2020, 09:52:12 PM
It's highly unlikely the school will prosper again so my mother is thinking of slowly weaning herself off giving classes for a living and opening a coffee shop instead.
When I was younger I had wanted to open a bookstore and thought about selling coffee there, kind of like Barnes & Noble. I figured that I would get more acquainted with people that way and do some reading from time to time.

I would totally work in a bookstore/coffee shop.  ;D Just think of the smells! :grin:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 13, 2020, 10:06:19 PM
Quote from: Randy on June 13, 2020, 09:52:12 PM

I would totally work in a bookstore/coffee shop.  ;D Just think of the smells! :grin:

Even the coffee will smell enticing.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Randy

There are too many things on my mind today. I spent the last couple of minutes trying to select one to talk about and since I can't seem to do that I'll just make a summary.

Coffee again: I just made a cup. I think the aftertaste of the sugar is what is throwing me off. I wish I had non-flavored coffee. I'd drink it without.

Rift Zone: He was full of himself. How he got to 364 postings is beyond me. I'm a layman when it comes to the sciences and even I found the stuff he was spouting was incoherent ramblings.

The Boys: A series I've been watching. I posted about it on another thread.

The coffee shop or bookstore: I guess there isn't much demand for bookstores these days but there is always a demand for coffee. It's like one of the major food groups.

Prescription oops: I sent my caretaker to have a prescription filled only to find out I still had more. Why neither of us noticed the bag next to the bed is beyond me. At least I had another prescription I needed filled so it wasn't a wasted trip.

xSilverPhinx

Ugh... Rift Zone and his 'revolutionary ground-breaking theories'.

jumbojak

Seems I'm open to close every day since going back to work.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on June 14, 2020, 07:59:31 PM

That's not good. But at least there is an income now!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

:wave hi: jj! I was thinking of you the other day. How have you been?

jumbojak

I was doing great until tonight. Second week back at the gym and I got slammed. Not very high but I think I have a mild concussion.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

slammed?

this isnt bowflex, i think.

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on June 16, 2020, 02:06:36 AM
I was doing great until tonight. Second week back at the gym and I got slammed. Not very high but I think I have a mild concussion.

:o 

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 14, 2020, 09:02:27 PM

:wave hi: jj! I was thinking of you the other day. How have you been?

I suspect JJ has been fine, but denying us his presence in the hope that we will start a thread "Wherefore Art Thou JJ?", only with dancing ladies, not Asian guys.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames