Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on April 16, 2020, 10:14:01 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 16, 2020, 09:55:46 PM
Equal is a matter of magnitude or quantity. Coequal is a matter of mutual equality (social) or mutual sameness. I suppose the latter is often, if not always, a special case (or subset) of the former. EDIT: messed up the former/latter order. Fixed. A shot of tar and a shot of bourbon may be equal quantities of fluid, but drinking one is not coequal to drinking the other.

Don't take my word blindly though - this understanding hangs on the butt-hairs of my intuition, and so the fact that I would have used these words thusly... Well... There are better sources when it comes to the very fine points of English.

Your explanation is good, thanks...So coequal implies having equal status within different systems, while equal implies having equal status within one system, right?

For example: The legislative branch is not equal to the executive branch because they have different duties, responsibilities, and structures. However. They are coequal because one is not more important than the other, and they also have checks and balances.

This makes sense to me now. Earlier I had to really think about it, and the Webster definitions just made it worse.

Now my head hurts.

I'd say Asmodean has given a fine delineation of the terms. Coequal has a more specific meaning than equal. Equal can convey the same meaning as coequal, but the reverse isn't necessarily the case, as for instance in mathematics, where the term coequal is superfluous. Coequal is generally used when referring to people or their institutions, while equal has broader applications. If this wasn't wooly and boring enough, hold my beer:

Apparently the distinction goes back to the original Latin, where coæquālis means "of equal age, companion in age," while aequus/aequālis means "level, even, just." In English, the meaning of coequal broadened somewhat, while never becoming fully equivalent with equal. (Inference from etymologies given in the Oxford English Dictionary.)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 16, 2020, 01:43:27 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 15, 2020, 02:56:26 AM
I've been binge-watching the old, b&w Perry Mason series, and only just found that William Hopper (who plays Paul Drake) was Hedda Hopper's son.  For some reason this is blowing my mind.

:grin: It's weird when we learn of these associations, isn't it? Just the other day I learnt the younger brother of the "father of American psychology" William James (who had a lot to say about memory, even if outdated now) was none other than the novelist Henry James. What a prominent family...It blew my mind as well.  8)

And here's something else, Alice James, the somewhat well-known diarist, was their sister.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 16, 2020, 11:58:22 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 16, 2020, 01:43:27 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 15, 2020, 02:56:26 AM
I've been binge-watching the old, b&w Perry Mason series, and only just found that William Hopper (who plays Paul Drake) was Hedda Hopper's son.  For some reason this is blowing my mind.

:grin: It's weird when we learn of these associations, isn't it? Just the other day I learnt the younger brother of the "father of American psychology" William James (who had a lot to say about memory, even if outdated now) was none other than the novelist Henry James. What a prominent family...It blew my mind as well.  8)

And here's something else, Alice James, the somewhat well-known diarist, was their sister.

:chin: I'm not familiar with Alice James' work, but that's something Google can fix. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Recusant on April 16, 2020, 11:00:38 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on April 16, 2020, 10:14:01 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 16, 2020, 09:55:46 PM
Equal is a matter of magnitude or quantity. Coequal is a matter of mutual equality (social) or mutual sameness. I suppose the latter is often, if not always, a special case (or subset) of the former. EDIT: messed up the former/latter order. Fixed. A shot of tar and a shot of bourbon may be equal quantities of fluid, but drinking one is not coequal to drinking the other.

Don't take my word blindly though - this understanding hangs on the butt-hairs of my intuition, and so the fact that I would have used these words thusly... Well... There are better sources when it comes to the very fine points of English.

Your explanation is good, thanks...So coequal implies having equal status within different systems, while equal implies having equal status within one system, right?

For example: The legislative branch is not equal to the executive branch because they have different duties, responsibilities, and structures. However. They are coequal because one is not more important than the other, and they also have checks and balances.

This makes sense to me now. Earlier I had to really think about it, and the Webster definitions just made it worse.

Now my head hurts.

I'd say Asmodean has given a fine delineation of the terms. Coequal has a more specific meaning than equal. Equal can convey the same meaning as coequal, but the reverse isn't necessarily the case, as for instance in mathematics, where the term coequal is superfluous. Coequal is generally used when referring to people or their institutions, while equal has broader applications. If this wasn't wooly and boring enough, hold my beer:

Apparently the distinction goes back to the original Latin, where coæquālis means "of equal age, companion in age," while aequus/aequālis means "level, even, just." In English, the meaning of coequal broadened somewhat, while never becoming fully equivalent with equal. (Inference from etymologies given in the Oxford English Dictionary.)

Ah, thank you for that as even the distinction you laid out in the original Latin helped clarify this even more for me, and I agree Asmo did do a wonderful job, but I do apologize as I think I spilled your beer ::)

This all came about yesterday afternoon during a video conference I was on, the meeting host was discussing some ERP software programs and the company platform. We were just over an hour and a half into the call, and although I was listening to the host, I was a bit more absorbed in what was displayed on the screen when I heard him say something more or less to the affect of,..."these are not only equal, they are coequal".
That caught my attention, and I even interrupted the host and asked him to repeat what he had just said, but rather than repeating he took a somewhat different route to convey what he was trying to explain, but I remember thinking the phrase "these are not only equal, they are coequal" was not the correct usage at all.

It stuck in my head, and I even wrote it down in my notes, it just bugged me for some reason.

Now I feel liberated. 8)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

Sounds like the term he was searching for was "superequal."  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

thats the most unique thing ive heard all day

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Well I now own a sewing machine! It's fun. So now I have to find a pattern for face masks :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Singer? Brother? Dare I say... Huskvarna?!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

My wife has five sewing machines. The latest is a Babylock Destiny. It cost more than every tool I own...and I can fix my vehicles with some and build homes with some. And then there are the carving tools. SMH

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on April 18, 2020, 09:35:43 PM
Well I now own a sewing machine! It's fun. So now I have to find a pattern for face masks :)

You just have to watch Making the Cut to get some inspiration.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

They're all over YouTube.  I like this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_NmpdgWWA&list=WL&index=10&t=0s
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on April 19, 2020, 03:23:44 AM
Singer? Brother? Dare I say... Huskvarna?!

Cheap and simple Brother LS14s

It does what it says on the tin :)

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 19, 2020, 06:10:50 AM

They're all over YouTube.  I like this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_NmpdgWWA&list=WL&index=10&t=0s

Brilliant! Thank you for posting this!

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on April 19, 2020, 08:41:17 AM

Hey Tank,

My sister in-law has been making these for weeks, she works in the healthcare industry so she has been making them not only coworkers, but friends and family, my wife and her coworkers.

The one change she made was adding a slot were you can remove the pipe cleaner, wire, or whatever else you use to mold the mask tight against the bridge of the nose as washing was causing them to get twisted or move within the layers.

Here's a picture of some of the masks she has made, and the tweezers in the photo show were the slot was added so you can take the pipe cleaner out when washing or to change it.

She also makes some of her masks with the elastic, and some with ties...I like the elastic for short term wearing as I can put it on and off quickly if going to the store or market, but the ones with the ties like in the video seem to me to be more secure for longer wearing. Plus they fit a wider range of heads shapes, or hairstyles.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on April 19, 2020, 05:22:22 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 19, 2020, 08:41:17 AM

Hey Tank,

My sister in-law has been making these for weeks, she works in the healthcare industry so she has been making them not only coworkers, but friends and family, my wife and her coworkers.

The one change she made was adding a slot were you can remove the pipe cleaner, wire, or whatever else you use to mold the mask tight against the bridge of the nose as washing was causing them to get twisted or move within the layers.

Here's a picture of some of the masks she has made, and the tweezers in the photo show were the slot was added so you can take the pipe cleaner out when washing or to change it.

She also makes some of her masks with the elastic, and some with ties...I like the elastic for short term wearing as I can put it on and off quickly if going to the store or market, but the ones with the ties like in the video seem to me to be more secure for longer wearing. Plus they fit a wider range of heads shapes, or hairstyles.

That's a good idea about the wire being removable.