News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Right now, I work night shift. However, there is a day shift position coming open. It has regular hours and I would no longer be on the production floor. The pay is a bit better too. Although with the higher pay comes more responsibility. I'm still a bit ambivalent about it, however.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 07, 2018, 02:48:30 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 07, 2018, 01:51:47 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 07, 2018, 01:47:56 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 07, 2018, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 07, 2018, 01:01:08 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 06, 2018, 11:24:18 PM
Our very own "Brazilian Trump" was stabbed while on campaign.

There's a good chance he'll die from septicemia since his intestines were cut and its contents leaked into the body cavity. If he doesn't die there's a good chance he'll rack up a load more votes and win the Presidential race.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Like you don't wish either to apply?

Perhaps he will be so sick he doesn't want to carry on?

Naw, too much to hope for . . .

Some BBC commentators have taken up the "Brazil's Trump" tag.

A horrible that was going to take power now isn't.  Yay :frolic:
Literally stabbing a political rival in the guts has to be deplored, at least publicly.

It has got me thinking...if someone had killed Hitler before he was elected would that be wrong given the amount of suffering Hitler's Party caused? Sorry to drag Hitler into this, not that the Brazilian Trump is as bad or even as clever, but he is alt-right...:notsure:

Everything is so partisan these days.
The thought of the other side taking power...
They are They are They are They are not us.

Oh, I refuse to be associated with alt-right Christian apologists with an unhealthy fetish for guns.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 07, 2018, 11:38:22 PM

Oh, I refuse to be associated with alt-right Christian apologists with an unhealthy fetish for guns.

I draw the line at the unhealthy gun fetish.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

This ain't so laid back but . . .

I am sitting here lookibg at a few hundred quid's worth of photographic kit, ignoring whats in the cupboard. Lovely toys, fascinating but. Whst do I do with this kit? Not a lot.

Then a memory came from about 50 years ago, I was tskingca photo of my motger in the garden, she asked me if I had ecer thought of buying a ciné camera. I said, "No, because I would have to make properly produced films, not just holiday movies etc. No time for that in the RAF."

There is something of this now. I cannot be bothered taking photos of things that a thousand others, or more, have taken before me. But I am far less able now to go roving the wild or unusual places looking for new things, creative shots (which I am not that good at!) The photo comp with  "Row" as a subject was good for me, a chsnce to be a bit creative there (plus the luck of finding a couple having a public shouting match!).

Been looking at the idea of "still life" compositions, need a backdrop for what I want to do and no space in my little room (stuffed with furniture as it is) to set on up. Really need some grass or grass-like stuff - thinking of dyeing a towel . . .

It's a problem of the psyche as much as anything, if I had another room for a "studio/workshop" would it be better? At least I could leave stuff set up then, not have to put all the photographic stuff away to use the computer etc! I love my toys, but need to find suitable employment for them. And me.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 08, 2018, 04:52:24 PM

I am sitting here lookibg at a few hundred quid's worth of photographic kit, ignoring whats in the cupboard. Lovely toys, fascinating but. Whst do I do with this kit? Not a lot.

Then a memory came from about 50 years ago, I was tskingca photo of my motger in the garden, she asked me if I had ecer thought of buying a ciné camera. I said, "No, because I would have to make properly produced films, not just holiday movies etc. No time for that in the RAF."

There is something of this now. I cannot be bothered taking photos of things that a thousand others, or more, have taken before me. But I am far less able now to go roving the wild or unusual places looking for new things, creative shots (which I am not that good at!) The photo comp with  "Row" as a subject was good for me, a chsnce to be a bit creative there (plus the luck of finding a couple having a public shouting match!).

Been looking at the idea of "still life" compositions, need a backdrop for what I want to do and no space in my little room (stuffed with furniture as it is) to set on up. Really need some grass or grass-like stuff - thinking of dyeing a towel . . .

It's a problem of the psyche as much as anything, if I had another room for a "studio/workshop" would it be better? At least I could leave stuff set up then, not have to put all the photographic stuff away to use the computer etc! I love my toys, but need to find suitable employment for them. And me.

I don't think one needs expensive equipment to create good photos. On the other hand, I also think technically-minded people like you and I (to a degree) can get much pleasure from simply handling and appreciating good tools, without feeling we necessarily have to produce anything. Perhaps yours is just another valid way to pursue an interest in photography.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 08, 2018, 06:07:13 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 08, 2018, 04:52:24 PM

I don't think one needs expensive equipment to create good photos. On the other hand, I also think technically-minded people like you and I (to a degree) can get much pleasure from simply handling and appreciating good tools, without feeling we necessarily have to produce anything. Perhaps yours is just another valid way to pursue an interest in photography.

Hmm, thanks, Hermes. The same goes for my eorkshop, I can't resist tools and spend more yime up there setting things up, making even more tools! There is aljmit as yo how much DIY one can do in a tiny flat, one normally only gets to design and install a kitchen a couple of times in one's life. Shelves are, well, just shelves. Anything I make has to fit through the loft hatch or be in components.

So, I keep reminding friends that I have the ways and means to change tap washers, install locks, door bells, repair chairs etc etc just so I can get something "productive" done. Sharpened loads of knives, shears, scissors, pruners etc lately.

Suppose I should really do some Youtube stuff, share some tips and experience out there, but I am strangely reticent about it. Bo problem at all standing in front of an audience but a camera? Would need to get some movie editing software as well . . .

There is this crazy "dichotomy" in me between being very practical yet all psychometric aptitude testing, over 40 years, points towards literary work, research etc. My avatar says it all . . .(oh, 'cept I can't play the guitar, tried once but, no go.)

So I spend some time in the attic, some time playing with the camera and some time editing Carol's book - half of which is checking her historical and factual references and statements (she ended up with Norman England having 148-153% of the land owned by the various classes in society!) and spelling(! :) )/grammatical errors or suggesting alternative words or phrasing. Carol complained that I was being "too pedantic" to start with, until she really read my changes - now she accepts almost all of them. Damned hard work though, takes a couple hours to do 6 or 7 pages. Then my neck and back need a rest.

jumbojak

Probably the most successful youtube creator who focuses on tools and projects never shows anything more revealing than his wrists on camera. It's a popular way to get content out there and you don't have to have big "toys" to produce good, useful videos.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on September 08, 2018, 09:29:08 PM
Probably the most successful youtube creator who focuses on tools and projects never shows anything more revealing than his wrists on camera. It's a popular way to get content out there and you don't have to have big "toys" to produce good, useful videos.

Yeah, I see that, no talking needed if you assume the audience already knows most of the stuff!

A smartphone can record half decent images, either of my cameras will be better than that. Should have filmed making my new worktop, the one with all the holes. Then filmed using it. Not a lot of experience filming/editing and don't really want another add-on project at the moment!

At the moment the attic is at a decent work temperature. A couple of weeks ago it was only about one hour in the morning before it got too hot. In the winter it will get too cold all day, except for emergencies.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on September 07, 2018, 02:18:23 PM
Got Penicillin for my very dramatic, highly contagious and extremely deadly bronchitis. Now, to see if it's survivable after all...  8)

So far, so good?
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on September 07, 2018, 08:47:55 PM
Right now, I work night shift. However, there is a day shift position coming open. It has regular hours and I would no longer be on the production floor. The pay is a bit better too. Although with the higher pay comes more responsibility. I'm still a bit ambivalent about it, however.

What sort of work is it?  Office stuff?
Sandy

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on September 08, 2018, 10:05:03 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 08, 2018, 09:29:08 PM

Yeah, I see that, no talking needed if you assume the audience already knows most of the stuff!

A smartphone can record half decent images, either of my cameras will be better than that. Should have filmed making my new worktop, the one with all the holes. Then filmed using it. Not a lot of experience filming/editing and don't really want another add-on project at the moment!

At the moment the attic is at a decent work temperature. A couple of weeks ago it was only about one hour in the morning before it got too hot. In the winter it will get too cold all day, except for emergencies.

The small shop channels are cool. So are the big ones. One fellow named Jeremy Fielding has a small shed where he builds all kinds of projects using mostly scrounged electric motors. Very neat stuff.

Then you have Brian Block, a man who put a 47,000 pound horizontal boring mill in his barn. Without. Any. Help. He also dropped a radial arm drill that was so big it broke the concerte and snapped the drill in half. He probably could've used some help for that one!

He fixed it though. Welding cast iron overhead is a bitch too...

Then there are the in between channels like Physics Anonymous. Their main project is a fabricated surface grinder but that one seems to have run out of steam lately. They did some neat work leveling the ladder framework they built for the ways though. Lots of fiddling.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

^

Yes, JJ, the ingenuity of some of these people is a real joy. I also love some of the cobbled together stuff in "less developed" countries, there are some really practical and inventive thinkers out there.

Hmm, there are thise who might think taking such pleasure in the workshop achievments of others a bit nerdy - but it beats the hell out of watching 22 people kick a ball about or wstch and listen to some group twanging guitars and banging drums. OK, there is less tribal element but some of us just ain't tribalists! At least our guys (and a few gals) have a useful, tangible product that can be every bit as satisfying to the psyche..

xSilverPhinx

So sleepy...  :yawn:

I woke up way too early today (6h30).

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2018, 04:43:12 PM

Hope you made good, productive use of all that extra waking time, Silver!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 11, 2018, 05:04:45 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2018, 04:43:12 PM

Hope you made good, productive use of all that extra waking time, Silver!

Well, an hour was spent getting to campus so I wouldn't call that part productive, but for practically the rest I was assisting a class (I'm practically an unpaid teacher's assistant now). The class started at 8h30 so I've got some residual sleepy dust in my eyes, but even so I guess it was a productive morning. :P