News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 11:22:51 AM
Quote from: OldGit on March 30, 2018, 09:57:33 AM
Just so long as you don't disrespect our Noodly Master the FSM.

Oh no, when I try to twirl spaghetti I do it with reverence and utmost respect.  :let'seat:

And I suck in that dangling noodle with a small prayer (that the end will not flick sauce onto my shirt or it dribbles down my chin.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 30, 2018, 11:49:22 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 11:22:51 AM

Oh no, when I try to twirl spaghetti I do it with reverence and utmost respect.  :let'seat:

And I suck in that dangling noodle with a small prayer (that the end will not flick sauce onto my shirt or it dribbles down my chin.)

I never do that because it's almost certain that some sauce will end up on me...like on my hair or something.  :bleh: No, I cut the dangling noodle with my teeth and let it fall back onto my plate. Not the best table manners I know, but Italian food can be quite a challenge. :deadpan: 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I think I might be diabetic. Started noticing some odd things and looked up the symptoms. The only common diagnosis was diabetes as far as I can find. Si I cut out soda, cakes, candy, etc and wondered around work like a siphilitic moron for two days. I finally tried w glass of lemonade and all the fog disappeared.

I can't go to the doctor yet but I have a new push to lose weight and cut out sugar. Fifty pounds and no sweets unless I get stupid in the face again. I've really been missing my Mt. Dew.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 30, 2018, 02:28:00 PM
... I've really been missing my Mt. Dew.

Do you drink coffee? That might help with the withdrawal symptoms, if you have any (headaches, etc).
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

I think I might be diabetic. Started noticing some odd things and looked up the symptoms. The only common diagnosis was diabetes as far as I can find. Si I cut out soda, cakes, candy, etc and wondered around work like a siphilitic moron for two days. I finally tried w glass of lemonade and all the fog disappeared.

I can't go to the doctor yet but I have a new push to lose weight and cut out sugar. Fifty pounds and no sweets unless I get stupid in the face again. I've really been missing my Mt. Dew.

Losing excess weight and controlling sugar input are good ideas for lots of people, JJ.  I seem to have found a happy medium for the moment, not suffered from the obvious symptoms of either hypos or hypers and no comments on my 6 monthly checks. But then I did lose 26lbs and switch to sucralose and complex starches.

Keep an eye on it but, unfortunately, when in hypo, low sugar, you might not be in any condition to be objective about it! Keep a couple of high glucose sweets in your pocket, they won't add many calories, will not seriously affect a hyper but may mitigate a hypo. If you feel yourself getting unreasonably grumpy sweeten youself!

Tank

Do you know anybody who is diabetic? If you do the ask if they'll test your blood glucose for you.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 30, 2018, 03:17:47 PM

Do you know anybody who is diabetic? If you do the ask if they'll test your blood glucose for you.

And ask the friend for advice as to when you should have such a test, how long after a mesl os sweetened drink. I have to fast for at least 12 hours before my blood test.

(Then I go to the resturant just down from the surgery and pig out on a full English breakfast!)

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 02:44:05 PM
... I've really been missing my Mt. Dew.

Do you drink coffee? That might help with the withdrawal symptoms, if you have any (headaches, etc).

The caffeine isn't what's getting me but even if it was I think I'd choose death before coffee. Vile, nasty stuff. It does small lovely though.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on March 30, 2018, 02:51:54 PM

Losing excess weight and controlling sugar input are good ideas for lots of people, JJ.  I seem to have found a happy medium for the moment, not suffered from the obvious symptoms of either hypos or hypers and no comments on my 6 monthly checks. But then I did lose 26lbs and switch to sucralose and complex starches.

Keep an eye on it but, unfortunately, when in hypo, low sugar, you might not be in any condition to be objective about it! Keep a couple of high glucose sweets in your pocket, they won't add many calories, will not seriously affect a hyper but may mitigate a hypo. If you feel yourself getting unreasonably grumpy sweeten youself!

That's part of my plan. Glass of lemonade or the like when I feel myself falling into a murderous mood.

jumbojak

I do, but none of them test their blood. I might try to go to the doctor next week. Been saving to remove my broken wisdom teeth though.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 30, 2018, 09:15:36 PM

I do, but none of them test their blood. I might try to go to the doctor next week. Been saving to remove my broken wisdom teeth though.
It is terrible that you have to make choices like the, JJ. I might have to pay for dental treatment, beyond basic and excluding medical emergencies, but, despite its problems, our NHS is literally a life saving service. The first line care provision especially. I paid into the fund over the years that I did not need much treatment but reap that "investment", and more, now.

Excepting those who make money out of providing medical care I cannot imagine any sane person who would argue against a publically funded "free to all at point of need" system.

jumbojak

That's life Dave. The poorest SOB here is still better off than a lot of people around the world.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 31, 2018, 01:12:43 AM
That's life Dave. The poorest SOB here is still better off than a lot of people around the world.

Yeah, that is true. But it could be a bit more complex if you get into the ideology and economics . . .

Bad Penny II

Hello Git, you're looking well.

If spag bothers you, pasta does come in more user friendly noodly shapes.

Is that balsphemous?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

As an expansion ('cos I just thought of it) to my last, JJ, apart from your medical ills you are also suffering from ideolicalitis and politicopathology - two sicknesses it is hard to cure.

Later: Oh, yes, and possibly IBS, which produces vast quantities of crap and wind

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.