News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on July 11, 2016, 11:39:05 PM
Gloucester; Don't sweat the inevitable doom of the worlds collective intelligence.  Therefore keep your BP in check. HAF needs the likes of you and quite few other of our forum sages.
Resting BP hanging around 105/65 at the moment. That's not 'cos I is athletic 'tis 'cos me ticker is only working at about 55% volume efficiency, Severe Left Ventricular Systolic Impairment. So the odd few millimeters higher does not bother me greatly.

A couple of months ago carrying the shopping up the stairs necessitated extra nitrates and an immediate ten minute rest on the sofa to get my breath back and BP down. Monday I carried 10kg+ up the stairs, put it away and did other chores before making a cuppa and sitting. Emailed my consultant to let him know, "Very impressed" was his comment.  So, feeling happy  at the moment :D
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

I just tasted something nasty.
It's a sparkling coconut drink. If I were to taste Coppertone® Tanning lotion, that's what it would probably taste like. On the side of this nasty drink, it says, "This fresh flavor is the best thing to happen to coconuts since the coconut bra."  :eyeroll:

I just wanted to share this with all of you. This is the sort of thing people share on Facebook, isn't it? Along with a photograph of what they had for lunch.  :unsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on July 13, 2016, 07:02:50 PM
It's a sparkling coconut drink. If I were to taste Coppertone® Tanning lotion, that's what it would probably taste like. On the side of this nasty drink, it says, "This fresh flavor is the best thing to happen to coconuts since the coconut bra."  :eyeroll:

I just wanted to share this with all of you. This is the sort of thing people share on Facebook, isn't it? Along with a photograph of what they had for lunch.  :unsure:
What was it?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Never been a Farcebook person.

QuoteAlong with a photograph of what they had for lunch.

Is that before or after eating it, Mags?

;)

Velma

I posted this on Facebook, but I thought I'd repeat it here:

The company I work for farms out its Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) paperwork. Today I got a call from that company saying they have approved both my FMLA leave and my return to work.

My surgery was May 23rd. I returned to work on June 27th.

My question is, if they hadn't approved it, would I have to go back in time to before the surgery and not have it done?
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on July 13, 2016, 07:05:24 PM

What was it?
What was what?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on July 13, 2016, 07:24:53 PM
Never been a Farcebook person.

QuoteAlong with a photograph of what they had for lunch.

Is that before or after eating it, Mags?

;)
I've never been a Farcebook person, either. I have an account, but only because Tank created a "lifeboat" while we waited for Asmo (Bless his Holy Gray Lump), to bring back the forum when it crashed. It's a 'fake' account, it has my fake name, fake area of where I live and a fake birthday. Everyone here knows that, except the rest of the world. I guess you can say I created it, for 'medicinal purposes', only.--To relieve the pain of not being able to be with everyone here, everyday. :shrug: 

Before or after eating?  :snicker:
I think they do it before, during and after.

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on July 13, 2016, 08:33:04 PM

What was it?
What was what?
What was the name of the drink? So I know to avoid it.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on July 14, 2016, 06:54:14 AM

What was it?
What was what?
Oh! I'm sorry I didn't understand your question.  :picard facepalm:
Maybe Ecurb Noselrub should call Adult Protective Services.  :notsure:
I just called it, a sparkling coconut drink because I didn't want to say the name of the brand.  :-\ But if you Google their slogan, "This fresh flavor is the best thing to happen to coconuts since the coconut bra." It will take you to it.  ;)

Who knows, maybe you'll like it. I love coconuts, and I'll buy anything with coconut in it, but this time, I wasted $2.00 on one of those cans.  >:(

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on July 14, 2016, 07:10:16 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 14, 2016, 06:54:14 AM

What was it?
What was what?
Oh! I'm sorry I didn't understand your question.  :picard facepalm:
Maybe Ecurb Noselrub should call Adult Protective Services.  :notsure:
I just called it, a sparkling coconut drink because I didn't want to say the name of the brand.  :-\ But if you Google their slogan, "This fresh flavor is the best thing to happen to coconuts since the coconut bra." It will take you to it.  ;)

Who knows, maybe you'll like it. I love coconuts, and I'll buy anything with coconut in it, but this time, I wasted $2.00 on one of those cans.  >:(

Is this it?

Magdalena

Yes. That's the nasty drink.
Try it and tell me what you think. I know you like coconut too, but then you found out it's also a diuretic.  :-\

Bad Penny II

yesterday
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on July 13, 2016, 05:28:32 PM
Thanks for that, Bad Penny II. Never heard of neenish tarts, though I'd probably enjoy them. Wikipedia gives the origin as Germany, but with no basis for that attribution. I enjoyed the story of the search for the origin, and the little kicker about Ruby Neenish at the end.  ;)

Thanks for replying, I think it is a fun story but gloom seems to be in fashion.
I loved that guy at the end, what a treasure.

My wiki says:

QuoteA neenish tart (or neenish cake) is a tart made with a pastry base and a filling consisting of sweet gelatine-set cream, mock cream, icing sugar paste, or lemon and sweetened condensed milk mixture, with dried icing on the top of the tart in two colours. The addition of a layer of raspberry jam is a common recipe variation. The colours used for the icing are usually some combination of brown, white, and pink. They are almost exclusively sized as individual servings, 60–80 mm in diameter. The tart was originally created in Australia and is mainly found there and in New Zealand
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Hmm, some anonymous editor (not me--all my Wikipedia edits are signed) changed the Wikipedia article yesterday to show the origin as Australia, then somebody else reverted it to Germany, and today it's been changed back. I assume at least a few people are watching the article, because this all took place after I questioned the origin in the talk page for the article. In fact the first edit changing it to Australia took place less than half an hour after my talk page comment.  :snicker:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Pleasure and a touch of pride is on my mind.

My best friend, Jane, has two "Hudl" tablets (one broke yonks ago and she bought a bigger one - then I managed to fix the old one). Both of them then reached the point where the USB sockets got so worn neither would charge.

Found replacement parts and ordered them. Today I fitted them.

I was very pleased when Jane, paying very close attention to what I did, said, "I think I could do that next time."

I felt good about that! Jane is a very "crafty" and very intelligent (for a blonde  ;) ) woman and has taught herself as much about computers as I ever passed on when she first got one. She took the advice, "Just play with it, press things and think about what happens" to heart.

I am really going to miss her when she moves to Devon . . .

Have to find a new lunch buddy as well.