News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

My son wasn't expecting to go to the F1 GP in Melbourn. He got told last Thursday that he's going as Jason Buttons back up performance engineer. So off to Australia on Tuesday for a week. Economy class as all the business class are already booked. Not that he's worried about that :)

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 12, 2016, 10:12:26 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 11, 2016, 04:41:29 PM
But arresting people under legal loopholes because we don't like them is a line I don't want to cross.

I agree with not fishing for ways to punish people because you don't like them (which leads to all sorts of bad), but I think they do have a case here even if they're not using the right law.   Maybe there isn't the right law yet, does criminal negligence or depraved indifference apply to animals?  Maybe they're trying to use this as the case that makes the right law for these circumstances?

This will vary by state, but generally speaking nothing he did was wrong (unless he planned to have the dog wig out for ratings). This is what I ran into leaving the last daycare I worked at. I did call, concerned for safety, but I was told that there was nothing that could be done unless something bad actually happened. Even then, it would most likely have to happen to me directly so I could personally press charges.

Crow

In zero gravity would ejaculation be a form of propulsion.
Retired member.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Crow on March 16, 2016, 08:22:46 PM
In zero gravity would ejaculation be a form of propulsion.

Thinking about conservation of momentum it would be a pretty poor source of propulsion.

Magdalena

My son turned five a few days ago, and today he used the "C" word. Yes, he said, "church." Everyday we walk to preschool, today he finally noticed that the church did not look like the other buildings, so he asked, "What's that place?"
I said, "That's a church."
He said, "I've been to a church."
I said, "No you haven't."
He said, "Yes, I have."
"No, no you haven't."
"Yes, yes I have."
This when on for a while...
Then, he asked, "What do people do in a church?"
I said, "They pray."
He said, "What's that?"

I was so not ready for the dreaded 'religion talk'. He talks to me about the science experiments they do in preschool. He says the show, The Dinosaur Train, talks about hypothesis, (I don't even know how he can pronounce that word.) He says in a movie he saw they talked about theories. He tells me that his girlfriends talks about magical ponies, and magical friendships and he tells them that there's no such thing. I didn't teach him that. :nu-uh: That's what he thinks. :frolic:

...I can only imagine what he'll say if I tell him that when people pray they talk to an invisible being who lives in the clouds. It sounds a lot like his girlfriends' magical ponies & magical friendships.

Anyways, I told him I was gonna talk to him about praying when he got a little older, when he's able to understand other things. But I have to do it soon, before a sweet, religious person tells him, "There's a magical place called, hell...that's where your mommy is gonna go when she dies."  ::)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Crow

Let him know about all the gods, not just a singular. All the different religions that exist around them, that throughout history they have been used as a cover to legitimise wars as people who believe in them are easy to manipulate etc. Don't even need to be derogatory about them just open his eyes to it all not just one narrow perspective.
Retired member.

OldGit

You have to stay alert.  My daughter found out that at Cubs, my grand-monkey took part in a ceremony which included prayer, in spite of her specific instructions.  She bent the organisers' ears pretty hard, but what can you do?  Luckily, the g-m has been pretty well inoculated against such stuff.

Claireliontamer

I have always been honest with scamp.  She knows there are churches but she also knows there are synagogues, temples, mosques etc too. She also knows people pray (she goes to a Church of England school so can't really escape that!) but she understands people believe different things.  I've also taken her in churches to see what they're like and again she's been to some with school too as I don't think knowing about religion is something to be feared.  We've talked about why people pray and why some people meditate etc too.

Honestly talking about it in a factual non derogatory way hasn't converted her to any religion at all.  She knows I don't follow any religion and I very much doubt she will either but I do want her to have an understanding and tolerance of what other believe. 

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on March 18, 2016, 08:22:48 AM
Let him know about all the gods, not just a singular. All the different religions that exist around them, that throughout history they have been used as a cover to legitimise wars as people who believe in them are easy to manipulate etc. Don't even need to be derogatory about them just open his eyes to it all not just one narrow perspective.

I said to my son this morning, "G, did you know that throughout history they [Gods] have been used as a cover to legitimise wars as people who believe in them are easy to manipulate?"
He said, "What is that?"
He's 5 years old, Crow:fingertap:
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: OldGit on March 18, 2016, 09:37:05 AM
You have to stay alert.  My daughter found out that at Cubs, my grand-monkey took part in a ceremony which included prayer, in spite of her specific instructions.  She bent the organisers' ears pretty hard, but what can you do?  Luckily, the g-m has been pretty well inoculated against such stuff.
I know I have to stay alert, there's always someone who feels it's their duty to teach your kids about religion when you're an atheist. They think they're doing the kid a favor, but like you said, if they have been pretty well inoculated against such stuff, the kids will be fine.

Magdalena

Quote from: Claireliontamer on March 18, 2016, 11:14:08 AM
I have always been honest with scamp.  She knows there are churches but she also knows there are synagogues, temples, mosques etc too. She also knows people pray (she goes to a Church of England school so can't really escape that!) but she understands people believe different things.  I've also taken her in churches to see what they're like and again she's been to some with school too as I don't think knowing about religion is something to be feared.  We've talked about why people pray and why some people meditate etc too.

Honestly talking about it in a factual non derogatory way hasn't converted her to any religion at all.  She knows I don't follow any religion and I very much doubt she will either but I do want her to have an understanding and tolerance of what other believe.
Like I said, he's five. Maybe when he's seven we can have a more serious conversation about religion. We could start with Quetzalcoatl, Odin, Thor, and Zeus, right now.  ;)
Oh! I almost forgot! Also, Asmodean.

Crow

Quote from: Magdalena on March 18, 2016, 05:23:16 PM
I said to my son this morning, "G, did you know that throughout history they [Gods] have been used as a cover to legitimise wars as people who believe in them are easy to manipulate?"
He said, "What is that?"

I'd still tell him that, then answer his millions of questions. Children are creepy they always remember things you wouldn't expect them to, or they don't.
Retired member.

Buddy

For the first time in well over two weeks I don't have to get up early tomorrow. So relieved because I really need to catch up on sleep since my body has decided it wants to be nocturnal all of a sudden. Haven't gotten more than five hours of sleep in over a week with no explanation.

I think I will wax the mini tomorrow. I want it to look as nice as possible for the trip I am taking to a Mini club meetup at the Indiana Dunes on Sunday. Other than that, my plans for tomorrow are to be as lazy as possible.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 18, 2016, 10:18:27 PM
For the first time in well over two weeks I don't have to get up early tomorrow. So relieved because I really need to catch up on sleep since my body has decided it wants to be nocturnal all of a sudden. Haven't gotten more than five hours of sleep in over a week with no explanation.

I think I will wax the mini tomorrow. I want it to look as nice as possible for the trip I am taking to a Mini club meetup at the Indiana Dunes on Sunday. Other than that, my plans for tomorrow are to be as lazy as possible.

Speaking of waxing I think it's time to schedule an appointment at the Queen Bee Salon & Spa and get my spring "Brazilian Bikini Wax".

Anyone else?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on March 18, 2016, 07:29:46 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 18, 2016, 05:23:16 PM
He said, "What is that?"

I'd still tell him that, then answer his millions of questions. Children are creepy they always remember things you wouldn't expect them to, or they don't.
Crow! >:(
Children are not creepy!  >:(
And if there's such a thing, they are only as creep as you were.