What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Siz on January 27, 2016, 01:48:56 PM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 27, 2016, 01:44:18 AM
Quote from: Siz on January 26, 2016, 07:29:12 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 26, 2016, 06:27:22 PM
Siz, you should be happy to know that I included the manager calling you George Clooney in my paper.

I'm honoured!

So now I'm gonna have your whole class knocking at my door?? Sheesh, being swarthy and handsome sure is a chore!

So which George Clooney is you?

ER George Clooney?
Batman George Clooney?
Ocean's Eleven George Clooney?
O Brother, Where Art Thou? George Clooney? (My Fav)
Syriana George Clooney?
The Men Who Stare At Goats? George Clooney?
Nespresso George Clooney?

Don't know most of those, but the coffee fella is as good a fantasy as any.

Rodney Trotter is probably closer to the truth of it...   :-[

Thanks Dave
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

OldGit

Two days back I was told that we had exchanged contracts on our house sale and purchase.  Happy with that, I got on with a few jobs which I had left until exchange, such as unscrewing stuff from walls and filling the holes.  Then today at 3pm we learned that it had not happened and that the lawyers were still arguing.  There was a deadline of 5pm connected with my buyer's mortgage.  We had the most stressful wait I've known for a long time, until after 4:30 we heard that it really is OK this time.

These lawyers are beyond belief; there are hundreds of thousands of pounds changing hands and three families waiting to move, having booked removal firms and suchlike - and they are still arguing over some ludicrous niggling detail.

Anyhow, it really should be OK now.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: OldGit on January 28, 2016, 05:42:20 PM
Two days back I was told that we had exchanged contracts on our house sale and purchase.  Happy with that, I got on with a few jobs which I had left until exchange, such as unscrewing stuff from walls and filling the holes.  Then today at 3pm we learned that it had not happened and that the lawyers were still arguing.  There was a deadline of 5pm connected with my buyer's mortgage.  We had the most stressful wait I've known for a long time, until after 4:30 we heard that it really is OK this time.

These lawyers are beyond belief; there are hundreds of thousands of pounds changing hands and three families waiting to move, having booked removal firms and suchlike - and they are still arguing over some ludicrous niggling detail.

Glad to hear it OldGit, hopefully this will soon be a bad memory. If I could I'd help you move myself...like the avatar picture by the way.

I'll keep some digits crossed hoping this finally works out.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: OldGit on January 28, 2016, 05:42:20 PM

I hope it's all smooth from here on.

Crow

Is the term "social justice warrior" now the new "I'm not racist but..." way to determine if a person is a bigot without having to engage with them beyond a sentence?
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Crow on January 28, 2016, 08:10:36 PM
Is the term "social justice warrior" now the new "I'm not racist but..." way to determine if a person is a bigot without having to engage with them beyond a sentence?

Not exactly.  Here's a bunch of definitions from Urban Dictionary:  social justice warrior

My own definition is "someone who cares way more than me about X issue and won't stop talking about it."
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 28, 2016, 08:49:59 PM
Not exactly.  Here's a bunch of definitions from Urban Dictionary:  social justice warrior

My own definition is "someone who cares way more than me about X issue and won't stop talking about it."

The examples shown in the Urban Dictionary are what I originally thought it was in reference to however I have very rarely witnessed it used in such a method. Over the last few days I have seen it come up in some really weird places, one to do with football (soccer) and another randomly thrown in to something to do with neurology always followed by a sentence that is derogatory about people that aren't them. The articles in question only very briefly mentioned a gender and a skin colour and not in a manner to even invoke some sort of defence.
Retired member.

Recusant

It's tending that way I think. Maybe it's time to be more explicit and specific in describing the over the top self-righteous behavior of certain people. I've used the term, but I admit "SJW"/"social justice warrior" is after all just another lazy label. "Regressive leftists" has been gaining popularity, but I think that describes a more specific demographic.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Buddy

I just found out that you can send gifs over iMessage. Now when my brother and I text it's literally only gifs and Neko Atsume screenshots.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

I haven't heard the term outside HAF - back when MLA was still around - but have a few associates who could probably fit the term in real life, though I gather it's more commonly applied to online interactions. Few of them would fall into the definitions given on Urban Dictionary. There are a few though. Mostly dull thinkers who can't be bothered to spend ten minutes considering where a particular position leads if you follow the implications. They also tend to use words and refer to schools of thought when they have absolutely no idea what they arer talking about.... I'll stop there in the interest of avoiding what is quickly turning into a rant growing into the real deal.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Amazing, isn't it? After just one sentence, we can tell a great deal about someone.

I'm not a racist.
I'm not a racist, but...they...
I'm not a violent man.
I'm not a violent man, but...when she...
I'm not homophobic.
I'm not homophobic, but...homosexuals...
Women have the right to choose.
Women have the right to choose, but...only...

Adding, ",but" after I say something cancels what I just said.

My favorite:
I love you.
I love you, but...I want a divorce.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on January 29, 2016, 07:04:22 AM

My favorite:
I love you.

I don't agree with this. It is possible to marry somebody you love who does not love you in return. There may come a point in that relationship where the love of one partner simply cannot overcome the negative behavior, whatever that may be, of the other partner. Suppose one partner cheats on the other? The partner who is cheated on could well still love the other but could simply not cope with the betrayal.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2016, 12:39:03 PM

My favorite:
I love you.

I don't agree with this. It is possible to marry somebody you love who does not love you in return. There may come a point in that relationship where the love of one partner simply cannot overcome the negative behavior, whatever that may be, of the other partner. Suppose one partner cheats on the other? The partner who is cheated on could well still love the other but could simply not cope with the betrayal.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2016, 12:39:03 PM

My favorite:
I love you.

These are the type of relationships that usually end up using that sentence. I love you, but I cheated on you. I love you, but I'm leaving you. If you want a divorce and you want to leave, then you don't love them. Why would the other one say, I love you too, but not your cheating ass, and crappy behavior. There is no love there. People shouldn't say, I love you, but you're an asshole, always have been and always will be. It just doesn't make sense. Be honest, I don't love you, and I want to leave. I don't love you either, and I want you to leave.

Bruno, saying I love you too, but I don't like you all the time--is different. :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Crow

Quote from: Magdalena on January 29, 2016, 02:39:28 PM
These are the type of relationships that usually end up using that sentence. I love you, but I cheated on you. I love you, but I'm leaving you. If you want a divorce and you want to leave, then you don't love them. Why would the other one say, I love you too, but not your cheating ass, and crappy behavior. There is no love there. People shouldn't say, I love you, but you're an asshole, always have been and always will be. It just doesn't make sense. Be honest, I don't love you, and I want to leave. I don't love you either, and I want you to leave.

Bruno, saying I love you too, but I don't like you all the time--is different. :grin:

Cheating doesn't negate love (though it most likely negate the other persons love) and I guess you could still love a person but not want to be in their life, say for example the relationship is abusive or unhealthy.
Retired member.