News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on January 13, 2016, 01:37:27 PM
Today I'm grumpy and frustrated. I want to go home but I'm not allowed.  Also been advised to cut out caffeine,  chocolate and cheese for a while......my 3 favourite things. As they were feeding me caffeine the other day it makes little sense. I've also lost so much weight through this ordeal my clothes no longer fit. I actually caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror earlier and was shocked by how awful I looked. :'(

Chocolate and cheese the saturated fats and cholesterol cut back advice. Good luck with the headaches.
Retired member.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Crow on January 13, 2016, 02:03:27 PM
Today I'm grumpy and frustrated. I want to go home but I'm not allowed.  Also been advised to cut out caffeine,  chocolate and cheese for a while......my 3 favourite things. As they were feeding me caffeine the other day it makes little sense. I've also lost so much weight through this ordeal my clothes no longer fit. I actually caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror earlier and was shocked by how awful I looked. :'(

Chocolate and cheese the saturated fats and cholesterol cut back advice. Good luck with the headaches.

Cholesterol is fine. Chocolate,  cheese and caffeine were mentioned as headache triggers. As the headache I have still isn't shifting,  it was suggested.   I actually don't think life is worth living without tea and cheese so I'll probably ignore it and suffer.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Claireliontamer on January 13, 2016, 03:26:53 PM

Cholesterol is fine. Chocolate,  cheese and caffeine were mentioned as headache triggers. As the headache I have still isn't shifting,  it was suggested.   I actually don't think life is worth living without tea and cheese so I'll probably ignore it and suffer.

To clarify,  if I thought there was any scientific basis behind what they were saying then I'd listen.  But, the reason I have a headache is because of a virus inflaming my meninges. Not having cheese and chocolate isn't going to stop that!

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on January 13, 2016, 03:32:53 PM
To clarify,  if I thought there was any scientific basis behind what they were saying then I'd listen.  But, the reason I have a headache is because of a virus inflaming my meninges. Not having cheese and chocolate isn't going to stop that!

I hadn't heard of this myself but tyramine seems to be the reason for that advice. Unless they found high levels of tyramine in your system I don't know why they would advise this but hey I'm not a doctor. Avoiding caffeine after having your system flushed with it is only going to make them worse, caffeine withdrawal headaches are horrible.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

I couldn't do the no caffeine thing, no f-ing way, seriously how is one supposed to get through the morning without it (I could reduce the amount I take daily, but not cut it out completely)? I'm not a big chocolate eater so that wouldn't be an issue for me, but no cheese, none, WTF...No smoke gouda, no feta, no Kerrygold Natural Dubliner?

Sorry Claire, I feel your pain...hang in there.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Velma

People who get migraines or cluster headaches are often advised to limit or avoid entirely cheese, chocolate, and caffeine as they have been shown to be triggers for those type of headaches. However, stopping caffeine cold-turkey usually induces headaches. To make things even more complicated, some headache remedies, both over the counter and prescription, contain caffeine.

Talk to your doctor about gradually cutting down on the caffeine while you are still in the hospital. That way, you lessen the chance of making the headache worse by the sudden stop. Any doctor worth their salt understands that a patient is more likely to follow a treatment plan if they feel like their concerns were heard.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Well it's great to hear your out of the woods Claire.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Biggus Dickus

Tank

No. Far to colourful and it could eat ratties.

Magdalena

^^^
I don't care where it comes from...
:tellmemore: That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on January 13, 2016, 06:44:17 PM
^^^
I don't care where it comes from...
:tellmemore: That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. :grin:

I see that thing and hear Abba at the same time. ::)

...butt the wings are way to far back to enable flight, surely they must be only for show?

Buddy

I've said it once and I'll say it again, laughing gas is the best stuff ever.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Retired member.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Velma on January 13, 2016, 06:19:25 PM

People who get migraines or cluster headaches are often advised to limit or avoid entirely cheese, chocolate, and caffeine as they have been shown to be triggers for those type of headaches. However, stopping caffeine cold-turkey usually induces headaches. To make things even more complicated, some headache remedies, both over the counter and prescription, contain caffeine.

Talk to your doctor about gradually cutting down on the caffeine while you are still in the hospital. That way, you lessen the chance of making the headache worse by the sudden stop. Any doctor worth their salt understands that a patient is more likely to follow a treatment plan if they feel like their concerns were heard.

I fully understand that. My point is that this headache isn't of that type. It's down to an infection,  so I don't see what good it'll do,  giving up tea will just make me even more miserable. 

Oh and buddy. ....morphine is the real good stuff. I'm quite enjoying my oromorph induced sleeps at the moment!