Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Budhorse4 on October 21, 2015, 07:39:30 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on October 20, 2015, 05:34:35 AM
Is anybody else gonna get a Halloween costume this year?
Bruno de la Pole is wearing his already, so I went and got mine.  :)

My uni puts on a Halloween party every year  and my family and I are going to see Crimson Peak on Halloween night so I thought I would bust out the liquid latex and scar wax and go as something gory.

That sounds like fun...And I think we would need to see pictures, make sure you are doing this properly.  ;D

I hope we get a good turn out at our house this year with kids coming to the door trick-or-treating. Last couple years has been somewhat dismal and disappointing.
Part of if has to do with the weather, as the we have had crappy conditions the last couple years, with it being cold and wet. Also my neighborhood is in that phase whereas all the young kids have grown up and are now away at college, we need an influx young families to move into the neighborhood.

Plus more families are choosing to take their kids to halloween parties, rather than allow them to trick or treat. 

Last year I don't think I had 12 kids, I sat for a while on my front porch until I got bored so I simply left the candy bowl out on the porch with a sign that said help yourself, and went into the house.

Some lucky kid(s) made out well because the bowl was empty when I checked on it later...and I always get good stuff, large sized candy bars...not like folks who hand out those little bite sized pieces, or worse pennies.

A guy I know said his kids stopped at a house last year and the owners where handing out religious tracts instead of candy...how utterly horrible.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

OldGit

They don't knock on my door any more, so I'm told, because we're always out having our anniversary Chinese.  They don't know how lucky they are.

Crow

I've never seen a trick or treater in any of the areas I have lived. Only did it once myself, didn't rate it. Walking around looking like an weirdo in the cold knocking on strangers doors hoping to get some sweets when I could have been having a laugh with friends and if I wanted sweats could have gone to the shop and bought what I actually wanted.
Retired member.

Claireliontamer

Somehow, scampus talked me into hosting a Halloween party for her friends.  So I'll be entertaining ten 6year old girls for the evening......I'm going to need gin! 

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on October 22, 2015, 05:29:27 PM
Somehow, scampus talked me into hosting a Halloween party for her friends.  So I'll be entertaining ten 6year old girls for the evening......I'm going to need gin!
Duct tape, ear plugs and a cattle prod would also be useful.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: Crow on October 22, 2015, 04:58:48 PM
I've never seen a trick or treater in any of the areas I have lived. Only did it once myself, didn't rate it. Walking around looking like an weirdo in the cold knocking on strangers doors hoping to get some sweets when I could have been having a laugh with friends and if I wanted sweats could have gone to the shop and bought what I actually wanted.

It's a big event in our little enclave of semi's. The whole area is awash with groups of little ghouls, fairies and zombies along with a parent or two. All the houses who want to participate put up decorations (probably about 20% of houses and growing each year) and noone else gets disturbed. Some householders make a massive effort and put on a real show. It's a great atmosphere and the only time of year that the community comes alive and together. I really enjoy it and always put on a costume for when giving out sweets while my kids are out. I made some small kids cry last year with a scary mask.  ::)

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Quote from: Siz on October 22, 2015, 09:01:21 PM
It's a big event in our little enclave of semi's. The whole area is awash with groups of little ghouls, fairies and zombies along with a parent or two. All the houses who want to participate put up decorations (probably about 20% of houses and growing each year) and noone else gets disturbed. Some householders make a massive effort and put on a real show. It's a great atmosphere and the only time of year that the community comes alive and together. I really enjoy it and always put on a costume for when giving out sweets while my kids are out. I made some small kids cry last year with a scary mask.  ::)

Sounds quite fun if done that way. No wasting of time of people not wanting to engage and the kids are going to get something out of it.
Retired member.

Pasta Chick

What happened to the dream thread? I just dreamt I was part of a group on a covert mission spanning the entire US. I was partnered with Daryl from The Walking Dead, but we became separated and I ended up trapped in a hair salon. I couldn't leave without blowing our cover. I woke up in increasing panic because I couldn't figure out how to lure Daryl anywhere near a barber to help me escape.

xSilverPhinx

Here in Brazil, Halloween is just recently being imported. I don't celebrate it nor am I ever prepared for it, decoration and candy-wise. About 15 years ago back there was a group of pioneering kids who came knocking on my door trick or treating and we didn't have anything to give them, as we didn't expect it. I felt so bad, I could literally feel their disappointment as they went to the next door and got nothing as well. There are risks associated with being amongst the first.

Nowadays schools throw Halloween dress up parties, eventually you get a kid trick or treating, and Burger King launches promotional weird-looking black burgers. ::)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Claireliontamer

On my mind is my new favourite drink: sloe gin and ginger ale over ice.  In fact that's all that'll be on my mind for the next few hours.....

Velma

Getting more and more convinced that leaving the hospital was not necessarily a good thing.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

OldGit

I'm getting ready to set the usual landmines to deter trick-or-treat assaults.  Pip is the problem this year - if I set the trigger pressures heavy enough for her not to set them off, some of the smaller children will escape.  Any ideas?

Recusant

:scheming: A luxury dog hotel for the duration. 
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on October 24, 2015, 09:47:52 AM
I'm getting ready to set the usual landmines to deter trick-or-treat assaults.  Pip is the problem this year - if I set the trigger pressures heavy enough for her not to set them off, some of the smaller children will escape.  Any ideas?
Laser trip wire set high enough to avoid Pips ears and with a delay of one second so Pips tail doesn't set it off.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

I really shouldn't be all that surprised, but I have discovered that trying to walk one foot in front of the other with the walker isn't working for me. What works it a more crab-like sideways walk. It is still exceedingly slow and tiring, but not nearly as painful.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan