Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Budhorse4 on October 13, 2015, 02:59:17 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on October 13, 2015, 02:54:39 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on October 13, 2015, 02:50:13 AM
So I just agreed to meet a guy for coffee tomorrow. Didn't find out until after I said yes that he is super religious. Coupled with the fact that I don't really want to go anyway I will have to try to keep my face from doing this

Show up with a colander on your head.  ;D

Don't tempt me.

This whole experience has made me realise that I just need to learn to say no. I am so not used to people paying any attention to me so as soon as they do I get super uncomfortable and just say yes to get them to leave me alone. I feel like this is a terrible way to deal with people but I feel so guilty letting someone down. UGH I don't know how to adult.

My advice to you, Budhorse4, is to relax. If you decide to go--Remember this: You're just having coffee with him, that's all. He might not even want to talk about his religion. If he does, here's you opportunity to show him, and yourself, that you do know "how to adult" by saying, I don't want to talk about that.

Who knows, maybe he's like our friend PROFESSOR FANCY PANTS he's religious and he's not so bad.  ;)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Velma

Quote from: Asmodean Prime on October 12, 2015, 08:00:27 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2015, 06:43:20 PM
Is Lenovo good?
Nope. Cheap and cheerful. Those sold here tend to have the worst material quality of all mainstream laptops, for starters. Also, they are not that great at pretty much anything.
True. I knew Lenovo's reputation, but took a chance based on good reviews. In the long run it didn't pay off.

I've been looking at getting a tablet. I was looking at one in the store and on paper the specs looked really good for the money. But then I realized it was made by Lenovo and crossed it off the list of possibilities. I'll probably go with a Samsung of some sort.

Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

So I just agreed to meet a guy for coffee tomorrow. Didn't find out until after I said yes that he is super religious. Coupled with the fact that I don't really want to go anyway I will have to try to keep my face from doing this

ROTFLMAO!!!!

LOL!

Hehehehe

*wipes eyes*
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Don't tempt me.

This whole experience has made me realise that I just need to learn to say no. I am so not used to people paying any attention to me so as soon as they do I get super uncomfortable and just say yes to get them to leave me alone. I feel like this is a terrible way to deal with people but I feel so guilty letting someone down. UGH I don't know how to adult.
You could always discuss Richard Dawkins :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 13, 2015, 01:55:05 AM
Next Monday morning I have to present a project in front of a judging commission, and already I feel like a bundle of nerves. Forget butterflies, it feels like I've got a freaking panicky pigeon wreaking havoc in my stomach. I'll only have 20 minutes (10 minutes to present and 10 for questioning) but it'll probably be the longest 20 minutes I've experienced in a while.

Sounds horrifying.  What's the project about?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Velma on October 13, 2015, 06:33:42 AM
Is Lenovo good?
Nope. Cheap and cheerful. Those sold here tend to have the worst material quality of all mainstream laptops, for starters. Also, they are not that great at pretty much anything.
True. I knew Lenovo's reputation, but took a chance based on good reviews. In the long run it didn't pay off.

I've been looking at getting a tablet. I was looking at one in the store and on paper the specs looked really good for the money. But then I realized it was made by Lenovo and crossed it off the list of possibilities. I'll probably go with a Samsung of some sort.

I have one of these: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0". Granted I've only had it for only a year, but I use it frequently and it's never let me down in that time span. The battery lasts about 2h30, depending on the settings, which is a plus to me. I used to have another tablet (I don't remember which brand) which had a battery life of just 1h, which was annoying.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Did he find out that you're an atheist?

It may not be so bad if he's able to tolerate your lack of belief and doesn't bring up his religious views. If he does, just chill, it's only a coffee date, and at the least an opportunity to see how someone super religious ticks. :o 

Worst is if he decides he has to "save" you from the fires of hell, in that case I'd promptly go with Tank's suggestion.   

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 13, 2015, 12:12:45 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 13, 2015, 01:55:05 AM
Next Monday morning I have to present a project in front of a judging commission, and already I feel like a bundle of nerves. Forget butterflies, it feels like I've got a freaking panicky pigeon wreaking havoc in my stomach. I'll only have 20 minutes (10 minutes to present and 10 for questioning) but it'll probably be the longest 20 minutes I've experienced in a while.

Sounds horrifying.  What's the project about?

Generalization of memory in a model of post traumatic stress disorder, which I'm probably likely to get after this presentation! :P

Velma

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 13, 2015, 12:25:14 PM
Is Lenovo good?

I have one of these: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0". Granted I've only had it for only a year, but I use it frequently and it's never let me down in that time span. The battery lasts about 2h30, depending on the settings, which is a plus to me. I used to have another tablet (I don't remember which brand) which had a battery life of just 1h, which was annoying.
That Samsung is at the top of my list. Plus, it is on sale right now, so I'd only have to pay about $60 out-of-pocket after using my store credit and gift card.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Velma on October 13, 2015, 04:48:47 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 13, 2015, 12:25:14 PM
Is Lenovo good?

That Samsung is at the top of my list. Plus, it is on sale right now, so I'd only have to pay about $60 out-of-pocket after using my store credit and gift card.

Sounds like a good deal.  8)

DeterminedJuliet

Don't tempt me.

I get that. I have recently been introduced to the wilds of dating for pretty much the first time ever. It can be intimidating, but then learning to give few-to-no fucks and just telling people what you do/don't want is also liberating :D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on October 13, 2015, 09:37:42 PM

Don't tempt me.

I get that. I have recently been introduced to the wilds of dating for pretty much the first time ever. It can be intimidating, but then learning to give few-to-no fucks and just telling people what you do/don't want is also liberating :D

That makes two of us Bud not doing well with the adult thing, anyway Det.Juliet's advise is sound...plus don't be concerned about having to be let people down easily, or lie to them because you're worried about hurting feelings (Sorry can't busy that night, etc...)
Just say hey I'm flattered with the invite, but don't see this working between us, or you're not my type or you really creep me out so please stay away or Hey,  I have mace in my purse!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Buddy

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on October 14, 2015, 06:45:33 PM

Don't tempt me.

That makes two of us Bud not doing well with the adult thing, anyway Det.Juliet's advise is sound...plus don't be concerned about having to be let people down easily, or lie to them because you're worried about hurting feelings (Sorry can't busy that night, etc...)
Just say hey I'm flattered with the invite, but don't see this working between us, or you're not my type or you really creep me out so please stay away or Hey,  I have mace in my purse!

You missed the whole thing on Facebook Bruno. Dude ended up being a total ass hat.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Budhorse4 on October 14, 2015, 06:57:58 PM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on October 14, 2015, 06:45:33 PM

Don't tempt me.

You missed the whole thing on Facebook Bruno. Dude ended up being a total ass hat.

I feel so left out not being on the Facebook, anyway Bud I hope you at least got to mace the creep. ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."