News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 29, 2014, 03:16:57 PM
I'll vote for Dawkins being a jerk.  I'll have to dig up links though.  I'm thinking specifically of that time he told American women to sit down and shut up because women in the Middle East have it worse.
I get how women in the Middle East have nothing to do with those in the USA, but he was probably illustrating the point, yes? Something along the lines of "...And we don't hear half as much moaning out of THEM *point*", only in a more politically correct fashion, no?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dobermonster

Quote from: Asmodean on December 29, 2014, 05:34:25 PM
I'll vote for Dawkins being a jerk.  I'll have to dig up links though.  I'm thinking specifically of that time he told American women to sit down and shut up because women in the Middle East have it worse.
I get how women in the Middle East have nothing to do with those in the USA, but he was probably illustrating the point, yes? Something along the lines of "...And we don't hear half as much moaning out of THEM *point*", only in a more politically correct fashion, no?

But you don't hear so much moaning because they are stalwart and and made of harder stuff (though let's face it, they probably are) - it's because dissidence is a generally a stone-able offence. Pointing out that the person who's gagged isn't complaining much isn't much of a point.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Eric V Arachnid on December 28, 2014, 12:53:22 AM
I find the coquettish manner Bruno eats his bananas disturbing, so he isn't getting a spoon. 
He can have a fork and eat his bananas in a respectable manner.
Oh and uncouth scratching of bum with HAF fork isn't allowed.

I had expected a spork, but this will do fine, thank you Eric ;D

I only hope I don't poke my eye out trying to learn how to eat like you humans.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Asmodean on December 29, 2014, 05:34:25 PM

It was because he didn't think anyone should be complaining at all, because it could be worse.  Because apparently a problem isn't a problem unless it's the worst problem, and we can't work to better our situation unless we're in the worst situation possbile. 

Heretical Rants

checking out my old accounts

hello, forum

I was a stupid teen when I joined this site, so I kind of dread looking over my old posts

so I'm not going to do that

I am also mildly displeased to announce that I have moved to Texas for the next year. It'll be an, uh, experience, for sure.

Velma

It looks like I can get $75 for my old, less than wonderful Lenovo laptop through a trade-in program. Add that to the $20 store credit I have, and I could have $95 to put towards a new tablet. Still thinking it about as I will have to rid the old laptop of all my personal info before trading it in.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Quote from: Velma on October 11, 2015, 04:14:54 AM
It looks like I can get $75 for my old, less than wonderful Lenovo laptop through a trade-in program. Add that to the $20 store credit I have, and I could have $95 to put towards a new tablet. Still thinking it about as I will have to rid the old laptop of all my personal info before trading it in.
I'm glad to hear you can get something for it. My less than wonderful Lenovo all-in-one desktop PC died in my arms the other day--very sad.  :(

...It will get an appropriate, respectful, and or dignified burial.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

I bought 120 pounds of coal the other day and am going to work on getting it lit in Peri today. Hopefully it lasts longer than charcoal did.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Velma

Quote from: Magdalena on October 11, 2015, 08:26:24 AM
Quote from: Velma on October 11, 2015, 04:14:54 AM
I'm glad to hear you can get something for it. My less than wonderful Lenovo all-in-one desktop PC died in my arms the other day--very sad.  :(

...It will get an appropriate, respectful, and or dignified burial.

I bought it because of the good reviews. However, problems with Internet connectivity developed later, which meant things like having to reboot before reading the next page of an article. The cursor also started jumping randomly over the screen at times, which meant things like I'd be typing in one area of the screen and look up to find that half of what I'd typed in wasn't there because the cursor had jumped to a completely different part of the screen. There was much cussing involved.

I now have a Toshiba Satellite Radius with a 15.6-inch 1920 x 1080p touch-screen, harmon/kardon speakers, an i7 processor with 8 gb of RAM and a 1 TB hard-drive. It is an awesome machine. Unfortunately, it makes working on the unresponsive machines at work all the more frustrating.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Quote from: Velma on October 11, 2015, 05:59:11 PM
I now have a Toshiba Satellite Radius with a 15.6-inch 1920 x 1080p touch-screen, harmon/kardon speakers, an i7 processor with 8 gb of RAM and a 1 TB hard-drive. It is an awesome machine. Unfortunately, it makes working on the unresponsive machines at work all the more frustrating.
Ha!
The computer I'm using right now is sooooo old that buying a Toshiba Satellite Radius with a 15.6-inch 1920 x 1080p touch-screen, Harmon/kardon speakers, an i7 processor with 8 gb of RAM and a 1 TB hard-drive--would be, for me, like going from a 1974 Ford Pinto to a 2015 BMW.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

What else is on your mind today?
Crow.
Where is he?
Has anyone hear from him, yet?  :(

Velma

Quote from: Magdalena on October 12, 2015, 01:00:48 AM
Quote from: Velma on October 11, 2015, 05:59:11 PM
Ha!
The computer I'm using right now is sooooo old that buying a Toshiba Satellite Radius with a 15.6-inch 1920 x 1080p touch-screen, Harmon/kardon speakers, an i7 processor with 8 gb of RAM and a 1 TB hard-drive--would be, for me, like going from a 1974 Ford Pinto to a 2015 BMW.  ;D
;D Hopefully you can get something better soon.

OldGit

Crow must be around somewhere.  We'll have to lure him out.

xSilverPhinx

I'm feeling cheerful because today's a holiday! It's a Catholic holiday but I'll take it.  :D

Quote from: OldGit on October 12, 2015, 09:51:42 AM
Crow must be around somewhere.  We'll have to lure him out.

How would you do that?

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit