News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on August 06, 2012, 04:46:52 AM
LOL, I've had those moments before. Although my favourite moment wasn't me doing it, but my cat. I'd just washed/cleaned the windows so the curtains were back and just the window was exposed... and a fly came zooming across the room, with my cat in hot pursuit. It flew directly up the window, and she went BONK, right into it. Shook her head, looked around like 'what the....?'  :D

Haha. Our little fog has already run into it at a full sprint. There is a nose print from him and me.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on August 06, 2012, 04:25:06 AM
Has anyone ever seen those Windex commercials where the birds watch people walk into sliding glass doors? I just had that moment. Not my brightest move.  :D

LOL  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Buddy, you could buy some pretty stick-on decorations for the glass.

Buddy

Quote from: OldGit on August 06, 2012, 09:52:27 AM

Good idea. I suggested duct tape but that works too.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

When I was growing up, my grandmother had a house on a lake. Her living room had a sliding door that perfectly lined up with the entrance to the water so, as kids, we used to run out of her downstairs bathroom, across the living room, through the door, and into the lake as fast as we could (it was a lot of fun).

We USUALLY kept the door open at all times, but one morning my mother decided to close the screen as I was getting changed to go swimming.After changing, I ran out of the bathroom, across the living room, and then crashed through the screen door like the Kool-Aid man. As everyone laughed, I noticed that I also had my bathing suit on backwards.

You're not alone, BudHorse  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

We used duct tape to make Xs so our old dog wouldn't run into the glass.  We were classy like that.

Okay, so I'm a little disturbed.  The neighbors have a little girl that I'm guessing is just shy of two.  I've heard her (sitting inside my house) screaming at the top of her lungs for like 45 minutes now.  I actually stepped outside my front door to investigate where the screaming was coming from, heard that it sounded like it was coming from the back of the house, and then went back to my back porch.  When I looked over at the neighbor's back porch, it looked like both parents and the girl were all out on the back porch, so at least I know she's not, like, alone in the house and scared or being beaten or something.  When I went out, the neighbor mom said "What?!?" really roughly, although I couldn't tell if she was talking to me, the girl, or their dog who started barking.  So I just went back inside.  Hope girl is okay, and just going through some sort of Terrible Two meltdown....

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ali on August 07, 2012, 04:11:02 AM

We used duct tape to make Xs so our old dog wouldn't run into the glass.  We were classy like that.

Okay, so I'm a little disturbed.  The neighbors have a little girl that I'm guessing is just shy of two.  I've heard her (sitting inside my house) screaming at the top of her lungs for like 45 minutes now.  I actually stepped outside my front door to investigate where the screaming was coming from, heard that it sounded like it was coming from the back of the house, and then went back to my back porch.  When I looked over at the neighbor's back porch, it looked like both parents and the girl were all out on the back porch, so at least I know she's not, like, alone in the house and scared or being beaten or something.  When I went out, the neighbor mom said "What?!?" really roughly, although I couldn't tell if she was talking to me, the girl, or their dog who started barking.  So I just went back inside.  Hope girl is okay, and just going through some sort of Terrible Two meltdown....

Wow, 45 minutes? Once my niece did that, she wanted to watch a cartoon but it was time for her to go to sleep (she was 2 years old). I didn't think something so small could make so much noise and for so long.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 06, 2012, 04:38:02 AM
I'm 26 and had a NES ;D I actually miss the old thing, though I was always more into PC games, even the oldies such as the Doom I and II.
I remember when i first played DOOM. I was blown away (also kinda scared, haha.)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2012, 04:21:27 AM

Wow, 45 minutes? Once my niece did that, she wanted to watch a cartoon but it was time for her to go to sleep (she was 2 years old). I didn't think something so small could make so much noise and for so long.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure wee man has approached the 45 minute mark on occasion. Sometimes toddlers just flip their shit and there's not much you can do about it.  :-\ I hope it was just a "toddler thing" though. I probably would have poked my head out to check it out, too.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

A friend of ours had a son who developed an 'economical cry' in that he bawled on every exhalation, he could keep it up as long as he was breathing. I strongly suspect that during the 6 or so months while he did this his parents privately wished he would stop at times, permanently.

Ali if this carries on you at least need to say something to the parents and gauge their reaction. And start the conversation with can't kids be little sods sometimes?

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 07, 2012, 05:26:21 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2012, 04:21:27 AM

We used duct tape to make Xs so our old dog wouldn't run into the glass.  We were classy like that.

Okay, so I'm a little disturbed.  The neighbors have a little girl that I'm guessing is just shy of two.  I've heard her (sitting inside my house) screaming at the top of her lungs for like 45 minutes now.  I actually stepped outside my front door to investigate where the screaming was coming from, heard that it sounded like it was coming from the back of the house, and then went back to my back porch.  When I looked over at the neighbor's back porch, it looked like both parents and the girl were all out on the back porch, so at least I know she's not, like, alone in the house and scared or being beaten or something.  When I went out, the neighbor mom said "What?!?" really roughly, although I couldn't tell if she was talking to me, the girl, or their dog who started barking.  So I just went back inside.  Hope girl is okay, and just going through some sort of Terrible Two meltdown....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure wee man has approached the 45 minute mark on occasion. Sometimes toddlers just flip their shit and there's not much you can do about it.  :-\ I hope it was just a "toddler thing" though. I probably would have poked my head out to check it out, too.

Yeah, now that shes closer to three, she's suddenly become much better behaved. I think the 45 min mark was really mostly a result of her having learned that one has to be really loud to be heard :D We just let her cry before making her go to sleep anyways. If she was old enough to bargain with, I would've told her that she could watch just a few minutes more if she promised to be good, but I had tried that before and it didn't work.

Some special care is being taken to make sure that she doesn't turn into a spoilt child, especially since she's the only child and grandchild on both sides. Giving in wouldn't have have helped in the process.

Ali

T's had his share of Crazy just like any kid, so I get that, which is why I wasn't about to go barging over there like CPS or something.  The screaming honestly scared me a little bit when I first heard it because it was so freaking loud.  I was sitting in my living room with all of the windows and doors closed and I could still hear this high pitched little kid screaming just going on and on.  Plus it was after 9 pm.  T's bedtime is 8 so I always think that 9 is hella late for little kids to be up, but rationally I recognize that not all parents are blessed with children who get up promptly at 6:30 am no matter what time they go to bed.....

Anyway, it's probably fine, but if it keeps happening I might take Tank's advise and talk to them about it, just in a sympathetic way.  Because truly, if that was a toddler mega-crazy meltdown, I am sympathetic.  That shit sucks. 

Sweetdeath

MORNING, time for MMOs and pancakes! *dance*
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on August 07, 2012, 02:05:43 PM
T's had his share of Crazy just like any kid, so I get that, which is why I wasn't about to go barging over there like CPS or something.  The screaming honestly scared me a little bit when I first heard it because it was so freaking loud.  I was sitting in my living room with all of the windows and doors closed and I could still hear this high pitched little kid screaming just going on and on.  Plus it was after 9 pm.  T's bedtime is 8 so I always think that 9 is hella late for little kids to be up, but rationally I recognize that not all parents are blessed with children who get up promptly at 6:30 am no matter what time they go to bed.....

Anyway, it's probably fine, but if it keeps happening I might take Tank's advise and talk to them about it, just in a sympathetic way.  Because truly, if that was a toddler mega-crazy meltdown, I am sympathetic.  That shit sucks. 

Mine had a total meltdown once when she was about two and a half, almost three. And I do mean total meltdown. We were in a store and she wanted something I'd said no to (it wasn't a toy or food, it was something odd like a garden rake, LOL) and she just took a deep breath, held my gaze for a moment, and started shrieking. I was afraid the store's windows were going to break. Then she started yelling 'go away, leave me alooooooone' when I tried to pick her up and march her out. I had a manager come over to see what the commotion was, and to ascertain that it was in fact my kid who was protesting and kicking up a holy hell. Once we left and got out to the parking lot, she stopped screaming completely. And she looked at me and said 'can we go to the park now?' and was all happy.

:o Believe me, I worried for the longest time over whether there was a screw loose in there, lol. Turns out, that was just toddlers being toddlers...

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on August 07, 2012, 05:19:35 PM
Quote from: Ali on August 07, 2012, 02:05:43 PM

Mine had a total meltdown once when she was about two and a half, almost three. And I do mean total meltdown. We were in a store and she wanted something I'd said no to (it wasn't a toy or food, it was something odd like a garden rake, LOL) and she just took a deep breath, held my gaze for a moment, and started shrieking. I was afraid the store's windows were going to break. Then she started yelling 'go away, leave me alooooooone' when I tried to pick her up and march her out. I had a manager come over to see what the commotion was, and to ascertain that it was in fact my kid who was protesting and kicking up a holy hell. Once we left and got out to the parking lot, she stopped screaming completely. And she looked at me and said 'can we go to the park now?' and was all happy.

:o Believe me, I worried for the longest time over whether there was a screw loose in there, lol. Turns out, that was just toddlers being toddlers...

They're incredibly bright, and know how to manipulate. :D