News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Quote from: Ali on July 30, 2012, 12:18:04 AM
Is jigging the same as fishing?

I always thought a jig was a dance, so my first thought was that DJ partook in a funky Canadian ritual similar to a rain dance for fish. But then I had a peep in my dictionary.
Retired member.

Ali

Loooooove the idea of DJ doing a rain/fish dance.

xSilverPhinx

What would a fish dance even look like? ???

:D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

I did a little fishy wiggle.  It's now raining fish in Denver.  The apocalyptic types are gonna freak!  :D

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on July 30, 2012, 12:18:04 AM
Is jigging the same as fishing?

It's a kind of fishing, but without a fishing rod. You use something that looks like this.

I took pictures, but I can't upload them until I get home.

I did do some dancing, but mostly a "omg, omg, I caught a fish, what do I do?!" kind of dance.  :D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 30, 2012, 03:54:09 AM
It's a kind of fishing, but without a fishing rod. You use something that looks like this.

It could be a regional difference but jigs around here are lures, doesn't matter if a rod is used or not.  Maybe you jig/jiggle them to make them look alive.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 30, 2012, 04:47:22 AM

It could be a regional difference but jigs around here are lures, doesn't matter if a rod is used or not.  Maybe you jig/jiggle them to make them look alive.

Yeah, I think it is a regional thing, because the spool thingy is usually referred to as a "jigger" and there is a technique to the movement you use to catch cod, which is referred to as "jigging". You can use a variety of lures, but it'd still be referred to this way. The gear that we used yesterday had a bunch of different hooks and lures on one line, actually. We caught two fish at once a couple of times.  ;D

This video shows how it's done here pretty well. You can see the little boys "jigging" just after the 1:30 mark.
http://youtu.be/nohddp8w5fs
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 29, 2012, 11:15:38 PM
Just got back from jigging for cod! We caught 9! I can't wait to eat them!  ;D
Did that with mackerel once. They had a barbecue on the boat and the first one you caught was headed, gutted and filleted and popped on the barbecue, they were still moving when they landed on it, but the taste was absolutely amazing.   
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 30, 2012, 03:22:35 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 30, 2012, 04:47:22 AM

It could be a regional difference but jigs around here are lures, doesn't matter if a rod is used or not.  Maybe you jig/jiggle them to make them look alive.

Yeah, I think it is a regional thing, because the spool thingy is usually referred to as a "jigger" and there is a technique to the movement you use to catch cod, which is referred to as "jigging". You can use a variety of lures, but it'd still be referred to this way. The gear that we used yesterday had a bunch of different hooks and lures on one line, actually. We caught two fish at once a couple of times.  ;D

This video shows how it's done here pretty well. You can see the little boys "jigging" just after the 1:30 mark.
http://youtu.be/nohddp8w5fs

Glad you're having fun!  ;D I'd like to try that kind of fishing.

All this mention of 'jigging' got me thinking of a Great Big Sea song, 'Goin' Up': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBDCwZECLQ

It's one of my feel-good songs. "Come on off we go now, heel to toe now, do some jigs and reels..."

If that song doesn't celebrate the east coast, I dunno what does.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Crow

How come Michael Johnson is pretty much a regular TV pundit in the UK, not just in the olympics. He was doing a TV spot before and kept saying "we" as in meaning the British and he also said the Americans in a way that was referring to them as if he wasn't one. Has he changed nationality or something? I like him as a pundit much more so than the majority of the UK ones, the Channel 4 program he did recently was good and tackled a very controversial topic intelligently, but find it weird why he hasn't been snapped up by the US media not only is he considered one of the States best athletes but he talks well and knows his subject.
Retired member.

Crow

Darn my earphones have broke and out of warranty. urghhh!
Retired member.

Buddy

I'm going to have a very hard time maintaining my sanity for a few weeks. We have to move out of our current house tomorrow. Unfortunately for us, we don't have any living arrangements set up due to the suddenness of our eviction. Luckily mom knows an elderly couple who said we can stay with them until our new house is ready. The downfall? They are your stereotypical right-wing Fox watching conservatives. They are nice, but their views are way to religious for my comfort. I want to stay with my brother but he just started a new job and his school starts up again.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

I have been flicking through this blog for a while its great.

http://www.shitlondon.co.uk
Retired member.

Recusant

I hope things work out well for you and yours, Buddy! Sorry to hear about you being suddenly uprooted, but I seem to recall that that house wasn't a very nice place, anyway. I'm looking forward to hearing that you have a better place to live, once you've left the house of the nice old right-wingers.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken