News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

I watched a documentary where a pack of orcas chased down and killed a baby gray whale. They didn't want to eat it or anything, they were just being assholes.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 15, 2012, 01:18:23 PM
I watched a documentary where a pack of orcas chased down and killed a baby gray whale. They didn't want to eat it or anything, they were just being assholes.

DJ, I fear that you may be guilty of flirting with anthropomorphism here.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

Quote from: En_Route on July 15, 2012, 03:49:07 PM

Indeed. Most animals have an asshole, but as far as we know, only one becomes it on purpose.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Yeah, probably. Though asshole is an easier way of summing up my feelings rather than actually attributing a characteristic to something. I call the sun an "asshole" all of the time, but I don't literally think it has person characteristics.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 15, 2012, 04:10:49 PM

Yeah, probably. Though asshole is an easier way of summing up my feelings rather than actually attributing a characteristic to something. I call the sun an "asshole" all of the time, but I don't literally think it has person characteristics.

What has the sun ever done to you? In this dank, dim  neck of the woods we call it a stranger.

DeterminedJuliet

There's too much here - and no matter how much sunscreen I put on, I keep burning.  >:( I'm a Newfoundland kitty, I'm used to fog and mist and overcast days (yet, for some reason, I don't seem to get a lot of sympathy from everyone back home when I complain about the sun  :P).

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 15, 2012, 04:27:58 PM
There's too much here - and no matter how much sunscreen I put on, I keep burning.  >:( I'm a Newfoundland kitty, I'm used to fog and mist and overcast days (yet, for some reason, I don't seem to get a lot of sympathy from everyone back home when I complain about the sun  :P).

You'd be at home in Ireland, especially the  woebegone part I inhabit. Whenever the sun makes an appearance, we declare a national holiday.

Asmodean

Quote from: En_Route on July 15, 2012, 04:36:54 PM
woebegone
Is weather why someone decided to call the place woe begone?  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Quote from: The Great Book Of Wisdomwoebegone
c.1300, in me is wo bigone "woe has beset me," from begon "to beset, surround."

Amicale

I had some chamomile tea tonight. It was tasty. It got me wondering if it tasted better than the chamomile tea my friend had last night, which was graced by the presence of a fruit fly.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on July 16, 2012, 05:08:32 AM
I had some chamomile tea tonight. It was tasty. It got me wondering if it tasted better than the chamomile tea my friend had last night, which was graced by the presence of a fruit fly.  ;D
Probably didn't taste a lot different, but your friend's had more protein in it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

There was a flood where I'm supposed to go to. Will see if I'll change my plans or count on someone to fix the roads and bridges....
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on July 16, 2012, 08:21:52 AM
There was a flood where I'm supposed to go to. Will see if I'll change my plans or count on someone to fix the roads and bridges....
You see! You're not immune to your own powers!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on July 16, 2012, 08:22:48 AM
Eh... More like some minor testing gone slightly wrong, really... Was not supposed to hit until The Asmo ran away from all the family.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on July 16, 2012, 08:27:01 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 16, 2012, 08:22:48 AM
Eh... More like some minor testing gone slightly wrong, really... Was not supposed to hit until The Asmo ran away from all the family.

whoops :<
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.