News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobermonster

Quote from: En_Route on July 13, 2012, 10:37:12 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 13, 2012, 10:06:15 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 13, 2012, 10:00:45 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 09:59:34 PM
It does kinda make you want to hug him...

Chris, I owe you one....
£50 in the post please as agreed.

Worth every penny.

Just imagine the returns if the puppy also had a tiny cast. And was being snuggled by a kitten.

En_Route

Quote from: Dobermonster on July 14, 2012, 12:12:33 AM
Quote from: En_Route on July 13, 2012, 10:37:12 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 13, 2012, 10:06:15 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 13, 2012, 10:00:45 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 09:59:34 PM
It does kinda make you want to hug him...

Chris, I owe you one....
£50 in the post please as agreed.

Worth every penny.

Just imagine the returns if the puppy also had a tiny cast. And was being snuggled by a kitten.

I think I'm already pushing my luck to the limit.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ali on July 13, 2012, 04:15:14 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2012, 04:13:20 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 13, 2012, 04:11:00 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 03:48:59 PM

If freckles are cute, I must be freakin' adorable  :D

You are!  :D

I'm part Mexican and part Scottish by way of Ireland.  And I swear, you can see which parts of me are which.  My shoulders freckle, and my legs are always pale, so I consider them the Scottish parts of me.  The rest of me gets a rockin' tan in the summer.  Those are the Mexican parts.  :D

Freckles without the burn? You're living the dream  ;D
Haha, yes, I've only had a sunburn a couple of times in my life.  It's possible, but it's not likely.

The story goes that when the Aus aborigines first encountered British sailors they thought of them as pale ghosts.  When the indigenous people of the arid regions met white people they didn't think of them as white, they considered them a funny pink or red.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 14, 2012, 02:50:19 AM
Quote from: Ali on July 13, 2012, 04:15:14 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2012, 04:13:20 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 13, 2012, 04:11:00 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 03:48:59 PM

If freckles are cute, I must be freakin' adorable  :D

You are!  :D

I'm part Mexican and part Scottish by way of Ireland.  And I swear, you can see which parts of me are which.  My shoulders freckle, and my legs are always pale, so I consider them the Scottish parts of me.  The rest of me gets a rockin' tan in the summer.  Those are the Mexican parts.  :D

Freckles without the burn? You're living the dream  ;D
Haha, yes, I've only had a sunburn a couple of times in my life.  It's possible, but it's not likely.

The story goes that when the Aus aborigines first encountered British sailors they thought of them as pale ghosts.  When the indigenous people of the arid regions met white people they didn't think of them as white, they considered them a funny pink or red.

Makes sense to me.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 13, 2012, 10:44:52 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2012, 02:11:39 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 01:53:01 AM
Yes, it bothers me when people make misogynistic comments, as well.

TWC and DJ:
Do you think it's really crazy and infuritating when you hear so many men bashing women as objects or things when they were born from a womb of a woman?

Dj, as a mother , surely you feel a bit saddened by this. ;__;.. I know i do.. i feel like 'why do you hate women SO much?" when i hear some men saying the things they do. your mother was a woman, and surely you have a sister or female cousin you feel protective of. i dont get it *sighs sadly*  :-\

Of course it is crazy.  But there is an historic precedent for that, with older woman who have given birth to many children considered one kind of woman and young women who represent a male fantasy considered another kind.  I don't have references at my fingertips, but I have read about this split in many different times and places.  

Worse, I once also read about another culture in the past--I apologize for not remembering which--in which a young man's first sexual experience was with a sex worker the same age and body type as his mother.  In that culture, the father who took his son to this woman wanted to make sure the boy did not grow up with the notion that older women like his mother were someone different from young women.  It was a way to teach disrespect of all women, mothers included.

My mother is an Arab born and raised in the Arab world.  Well aware of how women can be treated unfairly, she and my American-born Italian-American father made sure that my sister and I were treated equally and that I never thought I was somehow superior to her because of my sex or because I was older.  We both had to wash dishes; we both had the same curfew.  I could express displeasure with others, but not in sexist terms.  More importantly, both my sister and I became lifelong Star Trek fans on our father's knee.  It was not a "boy's" show that a proper girl should not watch.  All this shaped my view of sexual equality at an early age--just as, unfortunately, many children of both sexes have been shaped into believing in sexual inequality at an early age.    

I remember being very inspired by star trek and their equality.  I remember a specific ep where Yar was mocked by an alien race for being a female head of security. Picard then proceeded to elaborate that humans in that century evolved past sexism and descrimination based on gender. :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Black Jester

Moving is such a...bother. 
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

The Black Jester

I've just realized that I've been a member of HAF for over two years now...and yet you'd never know it by my meager post count...
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 14, 2012, 03:13:47 AM
Moving is such a...bother. 

Ye all that muscle use, shoe wearing and weather.
I can't wait till I can get my brain digitised.
Digitised and augmented, must remember to tick the augment box...

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 14, 2012, 03:18:52 AM
I've just realized that I've been a member of HAF for over two years now...and yet you'd never know it by my meager post count...

Better a meager number of good posts than a large number of meager posts.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 14, 2012, 04:45:52 AM

I agree.

Ouch!!!! Where did that hole in my foot come from!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on July 14, 2012, 07:39:15 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 14, 2012, 04:45:52 AM

I agree.

Ouch!!!! Where did that hole in my foot come from!!!

Chris, no need to be so self- effacing : you combine sparkling quality with  Herculean quantity. Woof! Woof!

DeterminedJuliet

I'm becoming convinced that "Blue's Clues" is about an insane man with short-term memory loss having an existential crisis.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 14, 2012, 01:32:19 PM
I'm becoming convinced that "Blue's Clues" is about an insane man with short-term memory loss having an existential crisis.

Sounds like Memento. Ever seen it?

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: En_Route on July 14, 2012, 11:06:41 AM

Chris, no need to be so self- effacing : you combine sparkling quality with  Herculean quantity. Woof! Woof!

Geez, what's going on here?
Is this really En_Route or a Tank sock puppet?
Has Tank borrowed and deployed an Asmo mind control rodent?
It's too early to reach a conclusion but if I start acting like this I hope someone does something, or perhaps it's too late...

The Black Jester

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 14, 2012, 03:14:27 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 14, 2012, 11:06:41 AM

Geez, what's going on here?
Is this really En_Route or a Tank sock puppet?
It's too early to reach a conclusion but if I start acting like this I hope someone does something, or perhaps it's too late...

By the time you notice that your behavior is "odd," it will be too late to do anything about it...we are all at the mercy of Asmo hegemony...
The Black Jester

En_Route

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 14, 2012, 03:14:27 PM

it's more of an insidious combination of honeyed words and death threats.