News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Oh my god.  En_Route.  That puppy!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!  Is he yours?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on July 13, 2012, 06:05:14 PM
Oh my god.  En_Route.  That puppy!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!  Is he yours?

I actually didn't recognize the posts as coming from ER at first, due to the puppyness.
It looks like a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, if I had to guess? Pretty cute!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

The Asmo demands the return of the blue and grumpy.  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

En_Route

Most certainly not. Chris has kindly consented to undertake a major re- branding exercise on my behalf.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on July 13, 2012, 09:43:08 PM

Most certainly not. Chris has kindly consented to undertake a major re- branding exercise on my behalf.
ROFL!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

I donno, it's kind of hard to take someone seriously wile being stared at by a puppy.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 13, 2012, 09:49:24 PM

I donno, it's kind of hard to take someone seriously wile being stared at by a puppy.
Exactly!!

It worked.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DeterminedJuliet

It does kinda make you want to hug him...
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Tank

Velma

Quote from: En_Route on July 13, 2012, 10:00:45 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 09:59:34 PM

Chris, I owe you one....
All that armor is just a put on.  He's really one of the nicest guys - most of the time.  ;)
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on July 13, 2012, 10:24:44 PM

Chris, I owe you one....
All that armor is just a put on.  He's really one of the nicest guys - most of the time.  ;)
But you like my dark side better  ;)

En_Route

Velma

Quote from: Tank on July 13, 2012, 10:31:38 PM
Quote from: Velma on July 13, 2012, 10:24:44 PM

Chris, I owe you one....
All that armor is just a put on.  He's really one of the nicest guys - most of the time.  ;)
But you like my dark side better  ;)
If I denied it, I would be lying.   ;)
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2012, 02:11:39 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 01:53:01 AM
Yes, it bothers me when people make misogynistic comments, as well.

TWC and DJ:
Do you think it's really crazy and infuritating when you hear so many men bashing women as objects or things when they were born from a womb of a woman?

Dj, as a mother , surely you feel a bit saddened by this. ;__;.. I know i do.. i feel like 'why do you hate women SO much?" when i hear some men saying the things they do. your mother was a woman, and surely you have a sister or female cousin you feel protective of. i dont get it *sighs sadly*  :-\

Of course it is crazy.  But there is an historic precedent for that, with older woman who have given birth to many children considered one kind of woman and young women who represent a male fantasy considered another kind.  I don't have references at my fingertips, but I have read about this split in many different times and places.  

Worse, I once also read about another culture in the past--I apologize for not remembering which--in which a young man's first sexual experience was with a sex worker the same age and body type as his mother.  In that culture, the father who took his son to this woman wanted to make sure the boy did not grow up with the notion that older women like his mother were someone different from young women.  It was a way to teach disrespect of all women, mothers included.

My mother is an Arab born and raised in the Arab world.  Well aware of how women can be treated unfairly, she and my American-born Italian-American father made sure that my sister and I were treated equally and that I never thought I was somehow superior to her because of my sex or because I was older.  We both had to wash dishes; we both had the same curfew.  I could express displeasure with others, but not in sexist terms.  More importantly, both my sister and I became lifelong Star Trek fans on our father's knee.  It was not a "boy's" show that a proper girl should not watch.  All this shaped my view of sexual equality at an early age--just as, unfortunately, many children of both sexes have been shaped into believing in sexual inequality at an early age.