News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 13, 2012, 09:43:21 AM
Quote from: En_Route on July 13, 2012, 09:30:14 AM
It  further occurs to me that it is not only men who suffer from our elevated libidiousnrss, but in the case of straight relationship, our female partners who must bear the consequences of our greater propensity to casual  infidelity(I haven't checked to see if there is any research exposing this as a baseless stereotype, but I would be greatly surprised if there is any).  

I haven't checked either and don't intend to but there is the principle that each hetero infidelity (usually) involves a male and a female so maybe infidelity isn't way out of balance on a gender basis.  Prostitutes I suppose may allow an imbalance.

Prostitutes will allow quite a lot I imagine if you are prepared to pay for it.
I think the imbalance if such truly exists might also be attributable to married men haviing casual flings with single girls. The argument here is that while it still takes two to tango, the girl is unattached but when eventually married or in a committed relationship will transmute into an earth mother who will not stray from the marital bed.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on July 13, 2012, 07:35:33 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2012, 12:58:46 AM
I'm getting really sick of people asking me why I don't think Seth Mcfarlane is funny. I don't find him funny at all and I have lots of reasons why, but the biggest one is on an episode of Family Guy (which is already such a misogynistic show, he made a big joke about a woman being raped and I pretty much banned it in my mind ever since. )
I don't find rape to EVER to something to joke about. Statistics show every person has at least two female friends who have been raped or sexually assaulted. It's not fun to make light out of such a serious thing. Not to mention how many women suffer sexual harassment from people just for being a woman.

Fuck Seth Mcfarlane. >:(
Maths hat on here. I think that's impossible. Unless virtually every single woman has been raped or sexually assaulted. Offline I don't know any woman who has been raped and only one woman who has been sexually assaulted and that was a friend of my daughter. Now it's not the sort of subject that comes up in general conversation so it obviously remains hidden and possibly less likely to be discussed when there is a man about so I may not be privy to the conversations. I'd really like to see the source of that statistic.

QuoteStatistics show every the average person has at least two female friends who have been raped or sexually assaulted.

It would make more sense that way, it's what I'd assume she meant.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 13, 2012, 09:53:05 AM
I'm getting really sick of people asking me why I don't think Seth Mcfarlane is funny. I don't find him funny at all and I have lots of reasons why, but the biggest one is on an episode of Family Guy (which is already such a misogynistic show, he made a big joke about a woman being raped and I pretty much banned it in my mind ever since. )
I don't find rape to EVER to something to joke about. Statistics show every person has at least two female friends who have been raped or sexually assaulted. It's not fun to make light out of such a serious thing. Not to mention how many women suffer sexual harassment from people just for being a woman.

Maths hat on here. I think that's impossible. Unless virtually every single woman has been raped or sexually assaulted. Offline I don't know any woman who has been raped and only one woman who has been sexually assaulted and that was a friend of my daughter. Now it's not the sort of subject that comes up in general conversation so it obviously remains hidden and possibly less likely to be discussed when there is a man about so I may not be privy to the conversations. I'd really like to see the source of that statistic.

QuoteStatistics show every the average person has at least two female friends who have been raped or sexually assaulted.

It would make more sense that way, it's what I'd assume she meant.
That would leave a gap for all the un-raped and un-abused women.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Here's a simple thought experiment. Imagine a group of fifty individuals, all of whom are friendly with each other. Two of them have been sexually assaulted. Apart from the assaultees themselves, everyone in the group knows  two people who have been sexually assaulted but the actual rate of incidence is 4%. In other words because every sexual assaultee will have usually a number of friends, this statistic tends to give an inflated sense of the rate if occurrence. The only meaningful rate is the percentage of rapes/ assaults that do occur, which is very difficult to establish because of widespread under- reporting. I'd add that the stats are not really the point here anyway.

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on July 13, 2012, 10:24:29 AM

Here's a simple thought experiment. Imagine a group of fifty individuals, all of whom are friendly with each other. Two of them have been sexually assaulted. Apart from the assaultees themselves, everyone in the group knows  two people who have been sexually assaulted but the actual rate of incidence is 4%. In other words because every sexual assaultee will have usually a number of friends, this statistic tends to give an inflated sense of the rate if occurrence. The only meaningful rate is the percentage of rapes/ assaults that do occur, which is very difficult to establish because of widespread under- reporting. I'd add that the stats are not really the point here anyway.
That makes more sense.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Crow

It depends on what qualify as sexual assault, if it includes groping and sexual harassment I think that number would most likely be accurate. I did a bit of a google myself and according to the 1987 paper entitled "The scope of rape: Incidence and prevalence of sexual aggression and victimization in a national sample of higher education students." they show a statistic of 1 in 4 of American female college students have "survived rape or attempted rape".
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on July 13, 2012, 10:41:13 AM

It depends on what qualify as sexual assault, if it includes groping and sexual harassment I think that number would most likely be accurate. I did a bit of a google myself and according to the 1987 paper entitled "The scope of rape: Incidence and prevalence of sexual aggression and victimization in a national sample of higher education students." they show a statistic of 1 in 4 of American female college students have "survived rape or attempted rape".
That's horrendous!

technolud

Quote from: thewalkingcontradicitionHaving said all that, I also need to say that it is very, very difficult to be male.  I once listened to a presentation given by a post-operation male to female trans-identified person, and she was asked what she felt was the best thing about no longer being male.  She said: "Not being ruled by testosterone."  That was a real eye-opener for me, and I get that too.  So yes, men say some unfortunate things, but sometimes women should to cut us a little slack because of our biology.  All males have male biology, but many males of all sexual orientations are decent guys.

I need to post an alternate opinion here.  Obviously as a male one has some unfullfilled desires.  Surely this is true with women as well, albeit perhaps they are less "sexual fantasy" driven.  All things considered its probably more difficult being a woman (although the trend seems to be improving) in this male dominated world. 

No matter who or what you are (male, female, dog, cat, bird, tree) life presents lots of problems and lots of wonderful opportunities.  Celebrate your maleness, or femaleness, or canineness, your life.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on July 13, 2012, 10:45:55 AM
That's horrendous!

Yeah it really is. I assume the problem is similar over here. When I was at university in the first week which was basically all about health and safety this topic that was covered extensively, much more so than any other. Everybody had to fill in a questionnaire, take a test, watch two movies, then take another test. Everything else was like; alcohol, be careful; Drugs, be careful; Bullying, it happens ignore it; STD's, here's a condom, etc.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: technolud on July 13, 2012, 11:13:33 AM
No matter who or what you are (male, female, dog, cat, bird, tree) life presents lots of problems and lots of wonderful opportunities.  Celebrate your maleness, or femaleness, or canineness, your life.
His Grayness The Asmo, Ltd "Celebrating grumpiness since 1985"

Nice punchline, yes?  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on July 13, 2012, 01:46:23 PM
Quote from: technolud on July 13, 2012, 11:13:33 AM
His Grayness The Asmo, Ltd "Celebrating grumpiness since 1985"

Nice punchline, yes?  :D

I like it!  ;D

Me, I've been celebrating silliness since then.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

Math is my worst subject, Tank XD Thanks for making me feel bad (jk jk  :P)

sorry for the horrible subject ;-; it just bothers me, cuz i do hear a lot of men (not all of course) talk nonsense about such a serious matter.

i dont wanna work today *yawn*
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

No matter how much sunscreen I put on, I keep freckling. :( Not that I mind the baby-deer-look, but I'd rather avoid the sun damage.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 02:46:05 PM
No matter how much sunscreen I put on, I keep freckling. :( Not that I mind the baby-deer-look, but I'd rather avoid the sun damage.

I slather on SPF50 and i still seem to tan. Curse my Irish genes T_T;
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2012, 02:51:11 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 02:46:05 PM

I slather on SPF50 and i still seem to tan. Curse my Irish genes T_T;

I'm Irish and I can't tan to save my life. The Irish genes are the ones that explain why you are in a constant alcoholic stupor and love the smell of peat.