News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Crow on July 12, 2012, 07:15:40 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 12, 2012, 06:00:01 PM
Where the hell are those?

Tate Britain
The Harrier is impressive
But the Jaguar is just WOW!!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on July 12, 2012, 08:31:29 PM
The Harrier is impressive
But the Jaguar is just WOW!!!!

Yeah that's also my favorite, this picture captures more of how I perceived it.

Retired member.

Sweetdeath

I'm getting really sick of people asking me why I don't think Seth Mcfarlane is funny. I don't find him funny at all and I have lots of reasons why, but the biggest one is on an episode of Family Guy (which is already such a misogynistic show, he made a big joke about a woman being raped and I pretty much banned it in my mind ever since. )
I don't find rape to EVER to something to joke about. Statistics show every person has at least two female friends who have been raped or sexually assaulted. It's not fun to make light out of such a serious thing. Not to mention how many women suffer sexual harassment from people just for being a woman.

Fuck Seth Mcfarlane. >:(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2012, 12:58:46 AM
I'm getting really sick of people asking me why I don't think Seth Mcfarlane is funny. I don't find him funny at all and I have lots of reasons why, but the biggest one is on an episode of Family Guy (which is already such a misogynistic show, he made a big joke about a woman being raped and I pretty much banned it in my mind ever since. )
I don't find rape to EVER to something to joke about. Statistics show every person has at least two female friends who have been raped or sexually assaulted. It's not fun to make light out of such a serious thing. Not to mention how many women suffer sexual harassment from people just for being a woman.

To be fair, some people deal with things using humor. I have a good friend who was molested by a family member and he always makes those creepy uncle jokes.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 13, 2012, 01:16:05 AM

To be fair, some people deal with things using humor. I have a good friend who was molested by a family member and he always makes those creepy uncle jokes.

Sorry to hear about your friend's trauma..

I understand some people do, but most people can't go "Oh ho ho, i was raped. good times. "

At least not me or the other women i know who have went through the horror. People should be a bit more considerate and sensitive for those type of subjects. Same for child molestation and child rape.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on July 12, 2012, 08:51:29 AM
WHAT IS THIS BLOODY 'ITEM?'  Come on, you've got to tell us now.

I'll tell ya if no one else has by now ;D

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

TheWalkingContradiction

Just want to say that I totally get what you are saying and agree.  Rape is never funny, and neither are the misogynistic comments of too many comedians and hip hop artists.

One of the reasons I always bring my iPod to my (85% male) gym is that some of the comments I overhear about women make my blood boil.  I'd rather not hear them.

In my classroom I often make guys take a step back and think about what they are saying.  I ask how they would feel if somone said what they have just said about their mother or sister.  When they are shocked to hear me, a male, call myself a feminist, I say that I have a mother and sister and I want them to be treated fairly.  That simple argument hits home more than any intellectual or historical argument I can generate.

Having said all that, I also need to say that it is very, very difficult to be male.  I once listened to a presentation given by a post-operation male to female trans-identified person, and she was asked what she felt was the best thing about no longer being male.  She said: "Not being ruled by testosterone."  That was a real eye-opener for me, and I get that too.  So yes, men say some unfortunate things, but sometimes women should to cut us a little slack because of our biology.  All males have male biology, but many males of all sexual orientations are decent guys.

And that being said, while I want to remain a gay male in this life...  If I come back and get to choose my next life, I want to be a bisexual woman in an accepting country: No testosterone and able to love someone regardless of sex.  Now that would be cool.

DeterminedJuliet

Yes, it bothers me when people make misogynistic comments, as well.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Yellowbeard is movie with some of the Monty Python guys in it, you could think Holy Grail with pirates.  Yellowbeard is an over the top ridiculous pirate who encourages his son to take up the family tradition of raping and pillaging.  I think this targets the silliness of the he-man bullshit.   There was also "Erik the Viking" which I remember vaguely which did a similar thing.  There are the paedophile priest jokes which target the catholic hierarchy, a worthy target and valid means I think.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 13, 2012, 01:53:01 AM
Yes, it bothers me when people make misogynistic comments, as well.

TWC and DJ:
Do you think it's really crazy and infuritating when you hear so many men bashing women as objects or things when they were born from a womb of a woman?

Dj, as a mother , surely you feel a bit saddened by this. ;__;.. I know i do.. i feel like 'why do you hate women SO much?" when i hear some men saying the things they do. your mother was a woman, and surely you have a sister or female cousin you feel protective of. i dont get it *sighs sadly*  :-\

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2012, 02:11:39 AM
i feel like 'why do you hate women SO much?" when i hear some men saying the things they do. your mother was a woman, and surely you have a sister or female cousin you feel protective of. i dont get it *sighs sadly*  :-\

Even though I can not answer for those kinds of people I would probably say because they have been brought up in a household where that behavior was acceptable, or the mother was a bad role model and had a positive male role model with a similar attitude. I also fall on the same side as TWC (not coming back as a female though, guys have it way easier) as I would say I am also a feminist and the certainly comes from my mum, grandmother, and great grandmother. Not all guys are the same and many do not talk about women as objects, I would say its the same balance as women who talk about guys in the same manner, the only difference being that men talk more openly in that way and many that talk like that in there youth get a shouting at by a more mature male and stop, or they realise that 99.9% of women find that behavior repulsive then stop (or at least hide it).
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on July 13, 2012, 02:46:55 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 13, 2012, 02:11:39 AM
i feel like 'why do you hate women SO much?" when i hear some men saying the things they do. your mother was a woman, and surely you have a sister or female cousin you feel protective of. i dont get it *sighs sadly*  :-\

Even though I can not answer for those kinds of people I would probably say because they have been brought up in a household where that behavior was acceptable, or the mother was a bad role model and had a positive male role model with a similar attitude. I also fall on the same side as TWC (not coming back as a female though, guys have it way easier) as I would say I am also a feminist and the certainly comes from my mum, grandmother, and great grandmother. Not all guys are the same and many do not talk about women as objects, I would say its the same balance as women who talk about guys in the same manner, the only difference being that men talk more openly in that way and many that talk like that in there youth get a shouting at by a more mature male and stop, or they realise that 99.9% of women find that behavior repulsive then stop (or at least hide it).

I have met plenty of wonderful men that do not treat women like objects :D I appreciate them greatly and wish more and more of them existed.

Tank

Maths hat on here. I think that's impossible. Unless virtually every single woman has been raped or sexually assaulted. Offline I don't know any woman who has been raped and only one woman who has been sexually assaulted and that was a friend of my daughter. Now it's not the sort of subject that comes up in general conversation so it obviously remains hidden and possibly less likely to be discussed when there is a man about so I may not be privy to the conversations. I'd really like to see the source of that statistic.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 13, 2012, 01:40:57 AM

Just want to say that I totally get what you are saying and agree.  Rape is never funny, and neither are the misogynistic comments of too many comedians and hip hop artists.

One of the reasons I always bring my iPod to my (85% male) gym is that some of the comments I overhear about women make my blood boil.  I'd rather not hear them.

In my classroom I often make guys take a step back and think about what they are saying.  I ask how they would feel if somone said what they have just said about their mother or sister.  When they are shocked to hear me, a male, call myself a feminist, I say that I have a mother and sister and I want them to be treated fairly.  That simple argument hits home more than any intellectual or historical argument I can generate.

Having said all that, I also need to say that it is very, very difficult to be male.  I once listened to a presentation given by a post-operation male to female trans-identified person, and she was asked what she felt was the best thing about no longer being male.  She said: "Not being ruled by testosterone."  That was a real eye-opener for me, and I get that too.  So yes, men say some unfortunate things, but sometimes women should to cut us a little slack because of our biology.  All males have male biology, but many males of all sexual orientations are decent guys.

And that being said, while I want to remain a gay male in this life...  If I come back and get to choose my next life, I want to be a bisexual woman in an accepting country: No testosterone and able to love someone regardless of sex.  Now that would be cool.

I'm amused that you think we males suffer so acutely as a consequence of our horniness, what you might call a hard lot in life. I would have thought it is downright difficult just being human, given our innate psychological and physical frailties which go far beyond our sexuality, the inescapable traumas and tragedies of life , the losses and sorrows which we all must endure along with the  diverse pleasures and satisfactions that life also offers.
It  further occurs to me that it is not only men who suffer from our elevated libidiousnrss, but in the case of straight relationship, our female partners who must bear the consequences of our greater propensity to casual  infidelity(I haven't checked to see if there is any research exposing this as a baseless stereotype, but I would be greatly surprised if there is any). 

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: En_Route on July 13, 2012, 09:30:14 AM
It  further occurs to me that it is not only men who suffer from our elevated libidiousnrss, but in the case of straight relationship, our female partners who must bear the consequences of our greater propensity to casual  infidelity(I haven't checked to see if there is any research exposing this as a baseless stereotype, but I would be greatly surprised if there is any). 

I haven't checked either and don't intend to but there is the principle that each hetero infidelity (usually) involves a male and a female so maybe infidelity isn't way out of balance on a gender basis.  Prostitutes I suppose may allow an imbalance.