Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Munchkin Goddess on May 08, 2012, 11:04:45 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 08, 2012, 10:24:22 PM
Well now you're both more experience/mature is it not possible to simply tell her that you want to wait a while?
I think she wants to make up for lost time...
Oh well, at least she's keen  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: rainbowcat212 on May 09, 2012, 03:57:56 AM
My final grades came in today!! They turned out better than I expected!!
Very good. Well done!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on May 08, 2012, 11:21:21 PM
I'd made the friendly acquaintance of a guy on facebook who recently (in the last few months) lost his partner to cancer. I friended him on facebook, talked with him a few times, and expressed support for what he was going through. We were getting to know each other a bit. His boyfriend sounded as though he'd been a truly remarkable man. The guy I got to know suddenly unfriended me. I politely asked why, just because I was curious.

His response was "sorry, but in all your comments to me, you never once mentioned you were praying for us, and I need prayer now. I need to believe he's in heaven with Jesus."

I'm not offended, but I'm kind of scratching my head. I guess I committed the logical error of assuming that someone who was openly gay would be comfortable with having friends who were not Christian, because most gay people I know are happy to befriend people of all beliefs/non-beliefs. But nope, apparently only prayer was acceptable, and not empathy. Hmm. Curious. Especially considering what the bible has to say about homosexuality, I'm always a bit confuzzled when someone cherry-picks it, to suit their own needs.

Ah well. One can only try to be friendly. It's a two-way street. :)
Been there, done that, still picking up the pieces.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on May 09, 2012, 03:53:49 AM
My dog is really sick.   :(  We think that she ate a rabbit in the yard on Friday (found a bit of it in the house...shudder) but she seemed fine all weekend.  When we woke up on Monday, she had thrown up in our room, but anyone who has had a pet can tell you that a one-off throw up is not all that uncommon or cause for alarm provided that the dog is acting normal.  When we came home from work last night, she had obviously had some more tummy troubles, but we assumed that she had gotten it out of her system because she was in fine spirits, drinking water, begging for food when we ate, et cetera.  Today we came home from work, and she had exploded.  Splatters of liquid poop all over the upstairs!  Plus, she seemed to be in distress (shaking, lethargic).  So Husband took her to the emergency vet, which is where they still are.  He called me to tell me that they were doing blood work, and that right after they took her temp, she bled (from her anus.)  Poor Ellie!  She has to be okay; she's the best dog ever.   :(
Everything crossed hopping she's allright. (((Ali)))

OldGit

It's heartbreaking when a pet is ill.  All the very best, Ali.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on May 09, 2012, 09:31:02 AM
It's heartbreaking when a pet is ill.  All the very best, Ali.
You're not joking. At least with a human you can explain what is happening. But then again maybe that's worse?

Steve Reason

Quote from: Amicale on May 08, 2012, 11:21:21 PM
I'd made the friendly acquaintance of a guy on facebook who recently (in the last few months) lost his partner to cancer. I friended him on facebook, talked with him a few times, and expressed support for what he was going through. We were getting to know each other a bit. His boyfriend sounded as though he'd been a truly remarkable man. The guy I got to know suddenly unfriended me. I politely asked why, just because I was curious.

His response was "sorry, but in all your comments to me, you never once mentioned you were praying for us, and I need prayer now. I need to believe he's in heaven with Jesus."

I'm not offended, but I'm kind of scratching my head. I guess I committed the logical error of assuming that someone who was openly gay would be comfortable with having friends who were not Christian, because most gay people I know are happy to befriend people of all beliefs/non-beliefs. But nope, apparently only prayer was acceptable, and not empathy. Hmm. Curious. Especially considering what the bible has to say about homosexuality, I'm always a bit confuzzled when someone cherry-picks it, to suit their own needs.

Ah well. One can only try to be friendly. It's a two-way street. :)

It sounds like he has way more issues than just losing his partner. I would have said: "Ah, I see. Well I don't pray because I'm an atheist and such things are foreign to me. So I guess that means you don't really need my help as such, but only need your beliefs reinforced. Sorry, I can't help you with that. Good luck to you."
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Asmodean

Nursing an irritation over assholes who try to shove their own agendas where they are neither wanted nor needed and where they most certainly do not belong.  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

rainbowcat212

I don't think that I got the job that I applied for....
Oh well... It was just a summer job anyways. I have a job when I go back to school.
So many years have passed, since I proclaimed my independence, my mission, my aim, and my vision, so secure, content to live each day like it's my last, it's wonderful to know, that I could be, something more than what I dreamed, far beyond what I could see -Dream Theater

Tank

Quote from: rainbowcat212 on May 09, 2012, 06:40:59 PM
I don't think that I got the job that I applied for....
Oh well... It was just a summer job anyways. I have a job when I go back to school.
What was the job?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on May 09, 2012, 07:18:02 PM
For DeterminedJuliet (or anyone else, of course):

(It sticks in my mind that you're working on a Technical Communications program because I started a similar program a couple years ago but decided to not follow through with it.)

http://imgur.com/qY6Zr

;D

Hahaha! While not the most *effective* set of instructions, it sure is funny. I'm going to save this for my instructor. I lol'd at the PUBLISHIT remark.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on May 09, 2012, 06:16:17 PM
Nursing an irritation over assholes who try to shove their own agendas where they are neither wanted nor needed and where they most certainly do not belong.  >:(

I'm still having issues with my coworker Jessica who needs to stop being such a brown noser.

Ugh, just wanna get paid.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

The exam question I know I got wrong. Why don't I re-read the test before handing it in? ::)

I should pray to make the universe make dark matter also responsible for the accelerated expansion...think it'll work?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

Peanut butter. I've been told off for the 3rd time about putting peanut butter in my kids sandwiches at school. They're wasting their breath. I'll feed my kids what I damned well please. Especially as most oaty bars have nuts in these days without being outlawed in the lunchbox. What's next? No marijuana in their cigarettes...? (just kidding!).

P.S peanut butter and cucumber is a decent combo!
Also, avocado and Marmite, egg and Marmite, peanut butter and banana.

Y'all got any sandwich oddities?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Amicale

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 10, 2012, 12:28:13 AM
Peanut butter. I've been told off for the 3rd time about putting peanut butter in my kids sandwiches at school. They're wasting their breath. I'll feed my kids what I damned well please. Especially as most oaty bars have nuts in these days without being outlawed in the lunchbox. What's next? No marijuana in their cigarettes...? (just kidding!).

P.S peanut butter and cucumber is a decent combo!
Also, avocado and Marmite, egg and Marmite, peanut butter and banana.

Y'all got any sandwich oddities?

Peanut butter and either dill or sweet pickles.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan