News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 01, 2012, 02:42:41 PM
There's the "make quickly" definition, I don't know if that came existed first, led to the pregnancy usage.

Make what quickly? 

Recusant

In the UK, "knock up" can mean the same thing as "wake up," but the "make pregnant" usage is current there as well. (See A Dictionary of Slang)

In the US, we're more likely to say "knocked together" for "made quickly."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Buddy

Grrrr. My truck is making a strange cluncky noise.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Quote from: Recusant on May 01, 2012, 04:43:43 PM
In the UK, "knock up" can mean the same thing as "wake up," but the "make pregnant" usage is current there as well. (See A Dictionary of Slang)

Never heard it used for waking up before, must be a regional thing.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 01, 2012, 05:31:41 PM
Why do you have a truck? I find things with the roof extending all the way back better to drive and just as, if not more, practical.  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on May 01, 2012, 07:37:14 PM
Why do you have a truck? I find things with the roof extending all the way back better to drive and just as, if not more, practical.  ???

Have you ever tried to get a minature horse into the back of a Hyundai?  I thought not.  >:(

Tank

Sucks air through teeth. Slowly shakes head in a knowing manner. That's gonna be the expensive clunky noise that is!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on May 01, 2012, 07:38:57 PM

Have you ever tried to get a minature horse into the back of a Hyundai?  I thought not.  >:(
Have you?  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on May 01, 2012, 07:38:57 PM

I avoid horses and Hyundais like... Well, herpes, really.

However, I do think I'd have far less trouble putting one in the back of a VW Transporter, Ford Transit, Toyota Hiace or Peugeot Whatever than in the back of a Nissan King Cab, Dodge Ram or VW Amarok
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on May 01, 2012, 07:39:30 PM
Sucks air through teeth. Slowly shakes head in a knowing manner. That's gonna be the expensive clunky noise that is!

Knowing my luck, it will be.

Why do you have a truck? I find things with the roof extending all the way back better to drive and just as, if not more, practical.  ???

I love my truck. It may not be the most beautiful vehicle, but it can pull a horse trailer and that makes me happy.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Meh... I betcha a good SUV can pull that trailer just as easily AND be able to accomodate seven people in the rain. Even my tiny car with its pathetic 87-or-so kW engine can legally pull 1200 kilos of trailer.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: Asmodean on May 01, 2012, 07:48:43 PM
Meh... I betcha a good SUV can pull that trailer just as easily AND be able to accomodate seven people in the rain. Even my tiny car with its pathetic 87-or-so kW engine can legally pull 1200 kilos of trailer.

You have to remember that I am 16 and I can't afford a fancy SUV.  :D

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 01, 2012, 07:53:43 PM

You have to remember that I am 16 and my Mum can't afford a fancy SUV.  :D

Asmodean

Well, I'm a decade or so older than you and I can not afford a fancy SUV. I could probably get a nicely used one with coin to spare though.  :D Not saying you should get a Porsche Cayenne, you know  :P

My point is: Get a vehicle that drives well. And trucks, they just don't.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on May 01, 2012, 07:59:14 PM

Well, I'm a decade or so older than you and I can not afford a fancy SUV. I could probably get a nicely used one with coin to spare though.  :D Not saying you should get a Porsche Cayenne, you know  :P

My point is: Get a vehicle that drives well. And trucks, they just don't.

When Hubby and I first start dating, he had an old Ford truck that looked a lot like this:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/daveseven/1682378737/

It was super cool.  And he had a hard top shell, so you could even sleep back there if you really needed to.  *Dreamy eyed*  Man I loved that truck.

But, we don't have it anymore because it broke down and would have been more expensive than it was worth to replace.  *sigh*  I do loves me a good truck.