News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

A Pill for Happy People!!! YAY!!! Maybe I NEED some.....Naaahh!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jd4tugPM83c#t=0s

I LOVE the ONION :)

For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Siz

Quote from: Crow on April 20, 2012, 03:02:23 PM
I have decided to quit smoking (again) but unlike other attempts I am serious about quitting this time.

You tried Alan Carrs book? Worked for me and I've been clean (apart from the odd special occasion cigar or pipe (tobacco only!)) for about about 9 years.

http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/

It's all about (his interpretation of) the psychology of cigarette addiction. It's all in the mind. I was a 20 a day smoker and wasn't even all that determined when I read the book and just went along with it all (smoking all the way as suggested), then came the page when you have to commit... and that was the last cigarette I EVER smoked.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 20, 2012, 05:27:19 PM
You tried Alan Carrs book? Worked for me and I've been clean (apart from the odd special occasion cigar or pipe (tobacco only!)) for about about 9 years.

It's all about (his interpretation of) the psychology of cigarette addiction. It's all in the mind. I was a 20 a day smoker and wasn't even all that determined when I read the book and just went along with it all (smoking all the way as suggested), then came the page when you have to commit... and that was the last cigarette I EVER smoked.

Which book was it that you read as I may as well give it a try, if it works fantastic if not it's only a fiver.

Quote from: Recusant on April 20, 2012, 04:18:29 PM
Good luck with that Crow! I quit a few months ago, and found the Nicorette Quickmist somewhat helpful. It tastes bad (I used to spray it toward the side of my mouth rather than my tongue, which seemed to help with that) and isn't cheap, but it does help with the cravings and irritability which in my opinion create the biggest issues when quitting. It seemed to me that its nature allowed me to directly deflect the desire for tobacco. I used to go through one of the little bottles in a week, but gradually cut that down.

I have kind of gone cold turkey but with the nicorette gum as a backup and seems to be more manageable so far. Though still have that horrible spaced out feeling.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 20, 2012, 04:46:08 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2012, 08:33:02 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 20, 2012, 07:12:49 AM
I saw my brother tonight for the first time in about 6 or 7 years.  We went to dinner, caught up on things, reminisced about our Dad, and my brother said he hated getting old, with a passion.  He's 56, one year younger than me.  When I think about it, I don't hate getting old but I must say it's more disappointing than I expected.

That comment is intriguing. Why so?

I hadn't expected things to fall apart quite so quickly -- my knees, my memory, my energy.  I suppose I'd expected a more gradual slowing down.
I'm suffering the memory issue. Noticeable degradation over the last few years. :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: Crow on April 20, 2012, 06:11:26 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 20, 2012, 05:27:19 PM

Which book was it that you read as I may as well give it a try, if it works fantastic if not it's only a fiver.

It's the Allen Carr book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/014103940X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334943548&sr=8-1
Worked for my wife too, but she did the course at a local Allen Carr centre for £££s. The book was enough for me.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2012, 06:37:36 PM
I'm suffering the memory issue. Noticeable degradation over the last few years. :(

What's worse is when it's not just you noticing it, but other people.  That's when you start getting the strange looks.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

AnimatedDirt

Sleep is on my mind atm...so sleepy.

Piratenerforsej

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 20, 2012, 07:11:35 PM
I'm with you. Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

Amicale

Quote from: Piratenerforsej on April 20, 2012, 10:35:26 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 20, 2012, 07:11:35 PM
I'm with you. Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

Hope you two are cozy together!  ;D (sorry, couldn't resist)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

Lost my hot glue gun!! Can't decide what to wear to My Little Pony season finale watch party tomorrow.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 21, 2012, 01:24:01 AM
Lost my hot glue gun!! Can't decide what to wear to My Little Pony season finale watch party tomorrow.

I am so pumped for the season finale tomorrow!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 21, 2012, 01:47:30 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 21, 2012, 01:24:01 AM

I am so pumped for the season finale tomorrow!
I am wearing a cravat with a topaz pendant sewn on :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

I'll just wear my pajamas. I don't have any pony meet ups in my area, which is fine. I'll just geek out in the comfort of my bed.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on April 20, 2012, 03:02:23 PM
I have decided to quit smoking (again) but unlike other attempts I am serious about quitting this time.
Update please. Prepare for rampant humiliation if you have dropped of the wagon.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Trying to catch up with The Trial(tm), eating head ache pills and being generally whiney and miserable. Other than that, business as usual.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.