News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Ok, on my way to first parlimentary procedure completion. I am super nervous.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 10, 2012, 09:52:27 PM
Ok, on my way to first parlimentary procedure completion. I am super nervous.

Good for you, that sounds interesting :) tell us all about it when it's through! Try and have fun!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

lebrecht52

I'm getting really tired of the campaign and all politics. The candidates all seem to assume this is a Christian Country.  I take issue with this.

The Magic Pudding

Hmmm, do people wish to tame the Asmo?
An askew perspective is appreciated, but couldn't he be nice?
I don't think it works that way, stay grumpy and inappropriate mate. ;)

lebrecht52

Quote from: Steve Reason on August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM
So is this a good idea for a thread? I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for general discussion, thoughts and notions. If you have a gripe, or just want to shoot the bull about whatever.

I am not sure exactly how to answer directly to a persons post. Maybe this is how?
I clicked on QUOTE?

My Grandson was married on March 31 to a beautiful girl. She is from Laos. They celebrated the wedding with two ceremonies. In the morning a Laotian (Buddhist)   in the evening a modern sort of Jewish wedding.

Being an Atheist,  I was most impressed at the Buddhist ceremony. NOT a single mention of a God or any religions. The entire ceremony was about these two children, uniting the two families and sharing in love, prosperity, and helping one another. Then about maintaining understanding to each other and never raising  our voice in anger.   Very interesting ceremony. The women seem to be the power, not the men?
Anne

Recusant

Quote from: lebrecht52 on April 11, 2012, 03:06:14 AMI am not sure exactly how to answer directly to a persons post. Maybe this is how?
I clicked on QUOTE?

Yes, you did it correctly.  ;)

Quote from: lebrecht52 on April 11, 2012, 03:06:14 AMMy Grandson was married on March 31 to a beautiful girl. She is from Laos. They celebrated the wedding with two ceremonies. In the morning a Laotian (Buddhist)   in the evening a modern sort of Jewish wedding.

Being an Atheist,  I was most impressed at the Buddhist ceremony. NOT a single mention of a God or any religions. The entire ceremony was about these two children, uniting the two families and sharing in love, prosperity, and helping one another. Then about maintaining understanding to each other and never raising  our voice in anger.   Very interesting ceremony. The women seem to be the power, not the men?
Anne

That sounds like a splendid day; I hope they have a very happy life together.

Buddhism can in fact be atheist, though many versions seem to incorporate a deity figure, or several.

The women are the power in many cultures, whether the men acknowledge it or not.  :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

rickrocks

Now let me get this right. By hitting the "reply" button on the bottom of the stack of replies, am I replying to all o' y'all?

Tiger Lily, you mention a lake and a lot of people and boats and some serious partying. Sounds like a lot of fun. Do you live on your lake? We have a lake too, but we only vacation there, and the boats in my lake are hardly big enough to party in. We do appreciate that there are not that many people around. We like our quiet moments, but we do have friends over while there.

Tom and Steve, my favorite kinds of beer that you buy are from the small local breweries, but they pale (pun intended) in comparison to our home brewed stuff. Sure one batch is going to be a bit different than the last, but that's half the fun of it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on April 10, 2012, 10:06:24 AM
Asmosolution: Heart transplant.  8)

I hear you can buy one off a Chinese prisoner for cheap.

I found this amusing. XP   <3

Thanks for all your words, guys.
I didnt know him well, but I can emphatize is all. My mom was important to me, but other than that, only the loss of my best friend or girlfriend could rattle me. my mom will hurt for a long time though.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Recusant

Quote from: rickrocks on April 11, 2012, 05:09:46 AM
Now let me get this right. By hitting the "reply" button on the bottom of the stack of replies, am I replying to all o' y'all?

You could look at it that way. Really, all that the "Reply" button does is put you on a page with a text editing box in which you will create a post that will go into that thread.

If you wish to respond to a particular post on the other hand, it's best to click the "Quote" button for that post, which will put you on a page with a text editing box that already has the post quoted. If you wish to split up that quote and address it paragraph by paragraph or whatever, you can add a [/ quote] tag at the end of a section, then write your reply after that. Then to quote the next section, you need to add an opening [quote = rickrocks] tag to the section (inserting the appropriate member's name there, of course), and close that particular quote section with the [/ quote] tag, and so forth. In the example tags given here, I have added spaces which make them non-functional. When making an actual quote in a post, you would not use those spaces.

Using the opening quote tag you write yourself, you won't get a link to the post with a timestamp like the first quote in this post, but it will still be appropriately attributed thus:

Quote from: rickrocksNow let me get this right.
The "Preview" button below the text editing box is very helpful to get an idea of how your post will look once you click the "Post" button.

If any of this is unclear, don't hesitate to ask for further explanation.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Buddy

Quote from: Recusant on April 11, 2012, 07:16:12 AM
Quote from: rickrocksNow let me get this right.
The "Preview" button below the text editing box is very helpful to get an idea of how your post will look once you click the "Post" button.

If any of this is unclear, don't hesitate to ask for further explanation.

Yes, the preview button is a very helpful tool. I am surprised that mine isn't broken yet.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Buddy

Is there a reason my post count says leet?

*Edit* Never mind, back to normal.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2012, 03:18:30 PM

:) Yup, you hit your leet post! 1337! Congrats! ;)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: history_geek on April 09, 2012, 11:48:06 PM
On a complected different note, Tank, that is not a Leman Russ Conqueror. This is:

Or:

Yours is just a normal Leman Russ ;D The difference is in the cannon. A normal Russ has a standard issue Battle cannon, while the Conqueror takes its name from the cannon variant, that actually is a shortened and less powerful version of the Battle cannon, though it can be fired more rapidly thanks to smaller recoil.

/40k nerd

And now, for something completely different. I have no idea what, but I'm sure you lot will think of something :P Off to bed ---->
I bow to your superior inner geek  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 10, 2012, 05:11:08 AM
My grandfather (mom's father) died last night. He was devastated over the loss of my mother, so...
He was in hospital for over a month.
What a crappy year..
Yes a very crappy year indeed. Condolences to you Sweetdeath *hugs*
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on April 11, 2012, 03:21:45 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2012, 03:18:30 PM

:) Yup, you hit your leet post! 1337! Congrats! ;)

Huh. I did not know that. I had to google it! Neat.