News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on April 09, 2012, 04:24:20 AM
It was worth it. It always is. I got to see cousins, my daughter got to play tag in the backyard with other relatives. I wouldn't let one prayer wreck a dinner. :)

To say nothing of what is usually very good food.  The best food I get is made by other people, at the holidays, and in exchange for that I will not only sit politely thru grace, I will say grace if asked. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 09, 2012, 04:34:44 AM
Quote from: Amicale on April 09, 2012, 04:24:20 AM
It was worth it. It always is. I got to see cousins, my daughter got to play tag in the backyard with other relatives. I wouldn't let one prayer wreck a dinner. :)

To say nothing of what is usually very good food.  The best food I get is made by other people, at the holidays, and in exchange for that I will not only sit politely thru grace, I will say grace if asked. 

Exactly! It was amazing food! And pretty good company, to boot!

Although I just laughed out loud at the idea of you saying grace. I'd say it too, if asked! And I'd smile quietly on the inside while doing so.

I'm happy to put on just about any kind of song and dance for a good meal.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

FYI. Tomorrow (10th April) I'm off to a wedding of my wife's niece. It's a four hour drive so we are going down and staying over so I'll not be around from this evening until the evening of the 11th.

The wedding is secular as both partners are never-theists. But there might be some fun as the bride's dad and her brother are Christians and her mum isn't. My wife has told me if I start a theistic discussion I'll be in big trouble. But she didn't say anything about joining in  ;D 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 09, 2012, 09:22:47 AM
FYI. Tomorrow (10th April) I'm off to a wedding of my wife's niece. It's a four hour drive so we are going down and staying over so I'll not be around from this evening until the evening of the 11th.

The wedding is secular as both partners are never-theists. But there might be some fun as the bride's dad and her brother are Christians and her mum isn't. My wife has told me if I start a theistic discussion I'll be in big trouble. But she didn't say anything about joining in  ;D 

Have fun and don't get in trouble with the wife! ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 09, 2012, 12:00:04 PM

Thus speaks the unmarried one. I'm always in trouble with my wife  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Buddy

I am getting really, really, really frustrated with random people outwardly staring at me and coming up and asking me about my face. I even got called to the principal's office because he wanted to "make sure my home life was a safe environment for me." Yes people, I look like I got face f**ked by an angry badger. No it doesn't mean my mummy hits me.  >:(

Sorry for the language, I'm just upset right now.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 09, 2012, 02:16:08 PM
I am getting really, really, really frustrated with random people outwardly staring at me and coming up and asking me about my face. I even got called to the principal's office because he wanted to "make sure my home life was a safe environment for me." Yes people, I look like I got face f**ked by an angry badger. No it doesn't mean my mummy hits me.  >:(

Oh dear! When I was very young my mum woke me up in a nightmare and I hit her bang in the eye and gave her a massive black eye! She was more upset by people asking if my dad had hit her than the bruise.

Ali

Quote from: Tank on April 09, 2012, 01:29:57 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 09, 2012, 12:00:04 PM

Thus speaks the unmarried one. I'm always in trouble with my wife  :D

*Grin* As a wife, I can vouch for this.  

Amicale - Too funny about passing the potatoes to the heathens.  I'm the exact same way; I don't mind if people pray in front of me if they are going to feed me.  I just smile pleasantly and stare into the mid distance as though I am carefully considering their words until it's over.  If someone tries to grab my hand during the prayer (as Evangelicals are wont to do) I hold their hand.  It doesn't bother me.

Buddy - sorry people think your mom hits you.  I had the same thing happen in grade school.  I didn't get bitten by a dog, but I faceplanted on a cement driveway while playing tag and gave myself two black eyes and extensive bruising down my cheek and jaw.  Everybody thought that I was a battered child.  It is frustrating, but at least that shows that hopefully if someone in your school was being abused, the teachers would try to get them help.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 09, 2012, 02:43:03 PM

Oh dear! When I was very young my mum woke me up in a nightmare and I hit her bang in the eye and gave her a massive black eye! She was more upset by people asking if my dad had hit her than the bruise.

Thank you Tank and Ali. I feel better after my little rant. It's just irritating and uncomfortable to have people stop what they are doing and stare at you when going down the hall. I hate being the center of attention! XD

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 09, 2012, 02:49:30 PM

Thank you Tank and Ali. I feel better after my little rant. It's just irritating and uncomfortable to have people stop what they are doing and stare at you when going down the hall. I hate being the center of attention! XD

*hugs Buddy* Aw, it'll start to heal up soon. I guess it's good that those questions do get asked, if people didn't ask, someone in need of help may not get it. If I were you, I'd try the 'face fucked by a badger' line on them, just to see their reactions.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

So your face is a bloody mess... What business is that of others, as long as you don't ask them to make it their business?  ???

The world needs more Asmos - they would go by with not a second glance or thought at such.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 09, 2012, 02:49:30 PM

You could always play up to it. Put a cardboard sign around your neck and write 'My dog bit me!' on it, or 'I won't dare be late again!'

Ali

Yes!  I always say that what the world needs more of is people who don't care to try to help out their fellow man!  Oh wait.  I never say that... ;D

I don't know why, but I seem to be in the mood to poke at Asmo lately.  I reckon that's going to lose me a finger soon.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 09, 2012, 05:01:37 PM
You could always play up to it. Put a cardboard sign around your neck and write 'My dog bit me!' on it, or 'I won't dare be late again!'

BRB, going to find paper and markers.  ;D

Quote from: Ali on April 09, 2012, 05:02:19 PM
I don't know why, but I seem to be in the mood to poke at Asmo lately.  I reckon that's going to lose me a finger soon.

I would advise against that.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on April 09, 2012, 04:55:57 PM
So your face is a bloody mess... What business is that of others, as long as you don't ask them to make it their business?  ???

The world needs more Asmos - they would go by with not a second glance or thought at such.

Then start converting/recruiting   people, Asmo!

I agree. It's ni one's busuness if they dont even know the whole story.

I have a pet rat now, but as a kid , I had three!!.
And let me tell you, their nails get long. I played rough amd came to school with red marks on my back, arms and neck. They called my mom in to principle's office abd asked how my home life was. My mom was pissed off at them. Oooh, grade school drama.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.