News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2012, 06:18:51 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 21, 2012, 05:25:30 PM
Wow. My French substitute just told the Mexicans in my class that they should have taken Spanish instead just because they are Mexican. Racist much? -_-
Surely she should see that if nobody took French she'd be out of a job? Obviously not the sharpest tool in the box.

If the Mexicans already speak spanish, which I imagine they do, that is the kind of advice you want teachers giving. Don't learn three languages when you can simply take the spanish class and get an easy "A". *End Sarcasm*
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Ali

Your french sub is full of merde.  :P

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 21, 2012, 06:42:05 PM
If the Mexicans already speak spanish, which I imagine they do, that is the kind of advice you want teachers giving. Don't learn three languages when you can simply take the spanish class and get an easy "A". *End Sarcasm*
Sarcasm aside, a cheap good grade is not a bad point at all.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Asmodean on March 21, 2012, 07:57:47 PM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 21, 2012, 06:42:05 PM
Sarcasm aside, a cheap good grade is not a bad point at all.

A third language if it can be achieved is much better though.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Asmodean

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 21, 2012, 08:01:21 PM
A third language if it can be achieved is much better though.
Depends on its usefulness in your future plans.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on March 21, 2012, 08:08:50 PM
Depends on its usefulness in your future plans.
Grades don't even really matter either.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Crow on March 21, 2012, 08:11:41 PM
Also depends on future plans, but below university level, one good grade is preferable to two mediocre ones. At least on this side of the pond.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on March 21, 2012, 08:15:40 PM
Quote from: Crow on March 21, 2012, 08:11:41 PM
Also depends on future plans, but below university level, one good grade is preferable to two mediocre ones. At least on this side of the pond.

Well all they are really useful for is the education system. After that, kinda pointless bar a few exceptions.
Retired member.

Asmodean

University grades here are quite useful in getting the job interviews you want.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on March 21, 2012, 08:23:26 PM

Do you find that?  I've been working in the same field (although in different positions) since before I graduated.  I've interviewed for and gotten several jobs since then, but always based more on my experience and reputation + maybe a small advantage of having a degree.  I've always wondered how helpful grades are on your resume.  I don't even list mine (although I do note that I graduated with honors disctinction.)  If I ever decide to go outside of companies that know me, do you think I should list my grades?  I guess I just don't see what good it does a company to know that I got an A in Nutritional Chemistry or whatever, you know?

Asmodean

Ok, let me rephrase: if you want the hard-to-get job you want once you get out of uni, rather than ten years or so of experience elsewhere, your results are not an insignificant bargaining chip.

Later in life, experience in high places can get you a job in an even higher place and grades be damned - that's the difference between the "new" and the "used" market.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Sarcasm? Because I've never been asked what my grades were for an interview (and I've had more interviews than I care to recall). I'm lucky if they ask what my major/minor was. I WISH they'd ask me what my grades were!

EDIT: Oops. Just saw your last comment.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 21, 2012, 08:52:27 PM

Sarcasm? Because I've never been asked what my grades were for an interview (and I've had more interviews than I care to recall). I'm lucky if they ask what my major/minor was. I WISH they'd ask me what my grades were!

EDIT: Oops. Just saw your last comment.
Yes... Used vs. new  :P

That said, is not your uni diploma complete with the results a part of your CV? Because if it is and if you send in the CV prior to the interview, the employer probably knows how well you did in what.

THAT said, in my world, a Belbin test is more likely to land you a good job than great grades if you are what the company is looking for, but in my world, there are more jobs than people... The cool ones are still hard to get though.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on March 21, 2012, 08:58:53 PM
but in my world, there are more jobs than people... The cool ones are still hard to get though.

I think I live in the wrong world. I have more than a few small jobs, some online, some offline, but despite getting two and a half university degrees so far and having a strong resume and decent interview skills, I haven't landed any sort of reasonable fulltime job anywhere, let alone a cool one. People are losing their jobs and getting laid off like crazy here, and in my particular field, people are hanging onto their jobs for far longer than they should so there's little chance for any of us newer folks to get in and have a go at it.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan