News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Too Few Lions on February 19, 2012, 10:24:04 AM
Dawkins on BBC1 on 'The Big Questions' in the UK if anyone's up and about. Looks like a tasty debate on 'Is Britain a Christian country.'
Grrrrrr!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Too Few Lions on February 19, 2012, 10:24:04 AM
Dawkins on BBC1 on 'The Big Questions' in the UK if anyone's up and about. Looks like a tasty debate on 'Is Britain a Christian country.'

Balls! I need to wake up earlier on a Sunday, iplayer is way too slow on uploading shows.
Retired member.

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 19, 2012, 10:59:17 AM
Quote from: history_geek on February 19, 2012, 02:16:35 AM
Hakkaa päälle Pohjan poika, PERKELE!

Translation, please. Not all of us speak vodka.

I know what Perkele means!  I learned about it in that video about Faen.  I still like to growl "Faaaaaaaaaaaaen" to myself in my special Viking voice.

Pudding, I like your theory of the Big Rabbit.  I think I see his fluffy tail in the sky on cloudy days.

Crow

So after about an hour of looking through all sorts of possibilities, the only way is to get a full version W7 (as if I had the money)....or get a new computer. I actually do have one, but I doesn't have a Windows installed and I can't be bothered to try and figure out how to do all that on Linux. Plus, the old screen that we have is rubbish, and I would need a second mouse and....

How to share a connection with your xbox 360 with Linux  that may help you good sir. I use to run my xbox through my mac but it is way too much of a hassle so I just bought a wireless dongle for it.
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

Do you think the first person who wrote down what would come to be the bible really knew what he was doing?
I don't know a lot about how the bible came to be formed, but someone, somewhere, must have been the first person to write this shit down.

Do you think he, if he really KNEW how much trouble it was going to cause and how long it was going to stick around for, would still do it?
I really wonder...
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

history_geek

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 19, 2012, 10:59:17 AM
Hakkaa päälle Pohjan poika, PERKELE!

Translation, please. Not all of us speak vodka.

Vodka, lol. I'm actually a non-alcoholic, so this made me chuckle. ;D

"Hakkaa päälle!" -It's an old Finnish battlecry used by the Hakkapeliittas that served in the Swedish army during the 30 year war.

QuoteTranslation of "Hakkaa päälle!" is difficult during cultural differences. Tied on situation, it means "Kill'em all" or "Slay'em all", and is today used by Finnish football fans. Basic meaning is, that when you go on offence you don't ever give up. Never.

I think "Cut 'em down" would be another close translation...

"Pohjan poika" - The closest trasnslation would be "Son of the North" (although it could almost be mistaken to mean "Son of the Bottom", but "Pohjan" comes from the word "Pohjola")

"Perkele" - There's actually no one good translation or meaning to this, because on one hand it's the old name for Ukko, now days it's taken to mean the devil (or the devils great-grandpa, if you believe the Dudesons ;) ). It can be used as a cuss or a curse, or it can be a sort of a plea (for strength mostly, when doing some heavy lifting or some such)or it can be used used to emphasize a statement, displeasure or joy or just outright amazement. So yeah. Small word, but lots of ways use it ;D

Quote from: Crow on February 19, 2012, 03:27:29 PMHow to share a connection with your xbox 360 with Linux  that may help you good sir. I use to run my xbox through my mac but it is way too much of a hassle so I just bought a wireless dongle for it.

Thank you. I wonder if we have some of those old CD's still lying around, so I could just download Ubuntu or something and give it a go on that other computer I have. About time I start using it instead of letting it collect dust at my parents house...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 19, 2012, 07:15:11 PM
Do you think the first person who wrote down what would come to be the bible really knew what he was doing?
I don't know a lot about how the bible came to be formed, but someone, somewhere, must have been the first person to write this shit down.

Do you think he, if he really KNEW how much trouble it was going to cause and how long it was going to stick around for, would still do it?
I really wonder...

Now that is something to ponder!
I would certainly love to go back in time and stop the bible from being written.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

statichaos

The Bible is actually a series of books written by different people at different times.  It's been compiled and recompiled at differing times throughout history, with books being added and subtracted depending on the mood and politics of the era.  Such an undertaking as the one described here would involve having to go back to each era in which each book was written, and keeping that from being written.

Of course, then you'd just end up with other religions moving in to fill the gap.

Amicale

Quote from: statichaos on February 20, 2012, 06:39:46 AM
The Bible is actually a series of books written by different people at different times.  It's been compiled and recompiled at differing times throughout history, with books being added and subtracted depending on the mood and politics of the era.  Such an undertaking as the one described here would involve having to go back to each era in which each book was written, and keeping that from being written.

Of course, then you'd just end up with other religions moving in to fill the gap.

This.

From the beginning of the Old Testament to the completion of the New Testament (insofar as we can say it was complete, seeing as books were rejected or accepted based on several factors, which statichaos mentioned) you're looking at several centuries. In fact, not only did it take a long period of time for these various works to be written, it took differing amounts of time for them to be accepted into the particular canon of either Judaism or Christianity. And within both Judaism and Christianity, certain sects and groups always have (and still to this day) accepted differing books, depending on philosophy, theology, etc. So you couldn't actually stop anything from being written. Even if you could, history NEVER used to be based primarily on the written form in ancient times; instead, any of the stories you read in the Bible were memorized and passed down by word of mouth and then transcribed at a much later date. So, you'd have to wipe the entire collective memory of all people on earth for it to work.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Cecilie

Look what I got. I pierced my nose again, this time in the septum. I know it's not for everyone, but I quite like it.

The world's what you create.

Tank

Quote from: Cecilie on February 20, 2012, 02:53:44 PM
Look what I got. I pierced my nose again, this time in the septum. I know it's not for everyone, but I quite like it.

Hmmmm  :(

Well at least you can take it out and nobody will be any the wiser  :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

It's atavistic in the best kind of way.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Why do you like it?

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on February 20, 2012, 08:34:02 AM
Quote from: statichaos on February 20, 2012, 06:39:46 AM

This.

From the beginning of the Old Testament to the completion of the New Testament (insofar as we can say it was complete, seeing as books were rejected or accepted based on several factors, which statichaos mentioned) you're looking at several centuries. <snipped for brevity>

And even if you could stop it from being written, I'd hate to see the bible go as a form of literature and, on a personal level, because there are parts of it I'm very fond of and even find inspiring.

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 19, 2012, 07:15:11 PM

I really wonder...

I don't know it would matter.  As Statichaos pointed out, other religions would just move in to fill up the gaps, and I think that people determined to commit atrocities would find some way to justify them even if they had no religion at all.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany