News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on February 12, 2012, 07:30:24 PM
I'm moving to FL the end of March and I should be packing and stuff but I'm completely overwhelmed by the process so I'm jamming out to Fleet Foxes, drinking coffee, coming up with names for my friends' new band, and buying a bunch of books online. I just can't deal with this moving process for some reason.

I hear you. We moved in September and I dreaded the whole process.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

corgilover

Huge paper I have to write. Due day after Valentine's day. Time to lock self in library!

Tank

Quote from: corgilover on February 12, 2012, 07:56:08 PM
Huge paper I have to write. Due day after Valentine's day. Time to lock self in library!
What's the subject?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on February 12, 2012, 05:37:34 PM

She apparently got into my GF's bag at what I can only assume was the dead of night, and did all the above with the aid of her nightlight, as quiet as a mouse...

Children, LOL.

Sounds like Picasso finally got reincarnated.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

corgilover

Quote from: Tank on February 12, 2012, 08:10:02 PM
What's the subject?

Informative paper on Enhanced Interrogation. My teacher is a published author about torture.

Tank

Quote from: corgilover on February 12, 2012, 08:48:27 PM
What's the subject?

Informative paper on Enhanced Interrogation. My teacher is a published author about torture.
That's a difficult and interesting subject. Have your read any of Sam Harris on the ethics/morality of torture?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

corgilover

Quote from: Tank on February 12, 2012, 09:02:00 PM
Quote from: corgilover on February 12, 2012, 08:48:27 PM
What's the subject?

That's a difficult and interesting subject. Have your read any of Sam Harris on the ethics/morality of torture?

No I have not.

Tank

Quote from: corgilover on February 12, 2012, 10:25:10 PM

No I have not.
Worth looking up. Sam Harris is a prominent atheist, in the vain of Dawkins and Hitchins. Sam's views were headline news in 2005 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/in-defense-of-torture_b_8993.html

Sweetdeath

I was watching lethal weapon 4 (which I havent seen since like 15 or so)
Anyway, I never noticed how much american brain washing it has.
Rigg's gf was having a baby, but she was determined to get married before she went into labor. At the end-in the hospital- she rushed Riggs to get a minister saying "i want to be a wife before a mother."
I suppose it made me think how much pressure is put on people, especially women.in society. To be an unwed mother, or just a couple who chooses not to be married can still be in a loving, very close relationship.
People seem to.judge you very harshly if you arent married, but with a kid. Like it really makes a difference..

That's what's on my mind. :<
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 12, 2012, 11:00:32 PM
Rigg's gf was having a baby, but she was determined to get married before she went into labor. At the end-in the hospital- she rushed Riggs to get a minister saying "i want to be a wife before a mother."
I suppose it made me think how much pressure is put on people, especially women.in society. To be an unwed mother, or just a couple who chooses not to be married can still be in a loving, very close relationship.
People seem to.judge you very harshly if you arent married, but with a kid. Like it really makes a difference..

I hear you. Believe me. I'm in that boat. Unmarried mother to an almost 4 year old, check. Have a girlfriend, check. No upcoming engagement/wedding plans, check. For those reasons and others, I've gotten interesting comments. And 'interesting' is the kindest adjective I can use, lol. The comments no longer offend me. My daughter is happy and healthy. My relationship is happy and healthy. I have my own reasons for why things are the way they are, and anyone who doesn't care/bother to actually get to know me and why I think the way I do is welcome to their opinion of me, but they can't expect me to take it to heart. So, yeah -- boo to social pressure.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

corgilover

Quote from: Tank on February 12, 2012, 10:31:03 PM
Quote from: corgilover on February 12, 2012, 10:25:10 PM

No I have not.
Worth looking up. Sam Harris is a prominent atheist, in the vain of Dawkins and Hitchins. Sam's views were headline news in 2005 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/in-defense-of-torture_b_8993.html

I wish I could use his information, but we're not allowed to use blogs as sources. Thank you though!

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on February 13, 2012, 12:15:26 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 12, 2012, 11:00:32 PM

I hear you. Believe me. I'm in that boat. Unmarried mother to an almost 4 year old, check. Have a girlfriend, check. No upcoming engagement/wedding plans, check. For those reasons and others, I've gotten interesting comments. And 'interesting' is the kindest adjective I can use, lol. The comments no longer offend me. My daughter is happy and healthy. My relationship is happy and healthy. I have my own reasons for why things are the way they are, and anyone who doesn't care/bother to actually get to know me and why I think the way I do is welcome to their opinion of me, but they can't expect me to take it to heart. So, yeah -- boo to social pressure.  :P

In situations like this, I like the old saying "The people who matter don't mind, and the people who mind don't matter." 

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on February 13, 2012, 12:53:38 AM

In situations like this, I like the old saying "The people who matter don't mind, and the people who mind don't matter." 

Yup, very true! :)

On my mind right now: plugging in the kettle to boil water for a lovely cup of chai tea.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on February 13, 2012, 01:23:46 AM

On my mind right now: plugging in the kettle to boil water for a lovely cup of chai tea.

I just finished a cup of tea. I could definitely do with another.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 13, 2012, 01:34:11 AM
Quote from: Amicale on February 13, 2012, 01:23:46 AM

I just finished a cup of tea. I could definitely do with another.

Must be a trend -- I read this while finishing off a cup of 2 hr old tea. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany